Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct 2017
Trans-border flights (Canada, Mexico, ..) for UA and partner flights do not qualify

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. IAD-LHR
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. SFO-IAD-LHR or LHR-IAD-SFO
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. LHR-IAD

Hours - 5:30 AM- 10PM

Related Threads:
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers

Print Wikipost

IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Duke787
New menu (at least since the last one posted in this thread).

Had a long layover (6 hours) thanks to UA only offering the 10am flight to IAD as part of our award ticket instead of the 3pm.

Ended up being a great place to sit and do work for the day, got there early enough to snag a phone booth and enjoy the dining room twice. Had the bouillabaisse and arepas for lunch and black and blue cheese (served with strawberries instead of blueberries) and burger. Highlight was definitely the burger.

Typo on the menu for Lanson Champagne, Unless United purchasing found a new vineyard Lancon ??
pretzlaff and Duke787 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ef00
Thank you for the update! What time did the lounge start filling up before the 5-6pm departures?
I would say around 3-4pm it started to fill up. Which makes sense, the IAD flight offered ex-RDU to time into the 5-6pm bank lands around 4pm so I imagine it is similar for others. In this case it was an award trip and due to award availability I could get RDU - IAD - BRU at 66k only if we took the 1030am RDU - IAD flight instead of the 315pm flight so we just did that and worked for the afternoon from the lounge.

Stopped by the EWR Polaris lounge on the way home (will post pictures there) and my conclusion is that the IAD space is much nicer and if given a choice between connecting at IAD and EWR, I would take IAD every time (and that's just based on the lounge alone, not all the other ways that IAD > EWR)
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:18 pm

We had a nice visit. The dining room food was not great; we thought the options in the open area were better. Service was attentive and the lounge was kept clean.

The blinds were on an automatic timer to lower with the sun such that we could barely see out. If you would like to plane watch, ask at the help desk and they have manual controls to raise the blinds.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is not allowed per the United access rules. First of all you have an issue getting through midfield security without an onward boarding pass for a connecting flight the same day (of course that depends on whether anyone actually checks for an onward boarding pass). Assuming you get past that you then have to deal with entry to the lounge. Per United's website: lounge access upon arrival is subject to "Re-entry to the airport after clearing customs is not permitted without further eligible onward travel. Access upon arrival is available to customers who have already made a domestic connection.". Key here is "domestic connection".

Always worth a shot but don't expect access.

-RM
Just wanted to update the forum having taken our flight last week. Flying BRU-IAD on UA 951 in Polaris with no checked bags, we were able to clear midfield security quite easily. No one asked us for an onward boarding pass once and the only hassle was having to take my shoes off. Maybe it's because we both have Global Entry and breezed through? We then arrived at the Polaris Lounge, where the attendant scanned our BRU-IAD boarding passes and granted us access without issue.

It was a nice lounge to visit and relax upon arrival. Very large lounge with plentiful seating. The food was delicious, way better than what we were served on board. The staff was also genuinely pleasant and helpful. Nothing but high marks for the experience on the ground.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by quikj
Just wanted to update the forum having taken our flight last week. Flying BRU-IAD on UA 951 in Polaris with no checked bags, we were able to clear midfield security quite easily. No one asked us for an onward boarding pass once and the only hassle was having to take my shoes off. Maybe it's because we both have Global Entry and breezed through? We then arrived at the Polaris Lounge, where the attendant scanned our BRU-IAD boarding passes and granted us access without issue.

It was a nice lounge to visit and relax upon arrival. Very large lounge with plentiful seating. The food was delicious, way better than what we were served on board. The staff was also genuinely pleasant and helpful. Nothing but high marks for the experience on the ground.
Nicely done!
BTW, where are the foods pictures?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
For those wondering the IAD PL has the full spread of Thanksgiving fixings on the buffet today in addition to their other options. I believe there was a question in one of these Polaris Lounge threads asking about it.

Turkey, masked potatoes, dressing, etc. Very well done, very delicious.

I’m here now but it’s simply too crowded to take decent pics of the buffet area.

The manager said they will have the special offering out starting in the afternoons thru Friday.

Edit: I’ll be connecting thru ORD in a few hours so I’ll give a report on their offering as well.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
In the IAD PL now - it’s virtually empty. Can’t be more the a dozen passengers here. Only one other table occupied in the restaurant. Seated immediately, ordered the burger, and it was out in 15 minutes. There were two wait staff, each with one table, so it was like having my own private server. Now in the seating area with no one nearby. (I know - US holiday + early in the day.). Will stay here a few hours then move to the LH lounge before my LH flight to FRA in F.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Visited last Thursday at 4:30 PM

I was shocked and disappointed by how crowded it was. My friend joined me later and we couldn't find two seats together.

The buffet was okay, kinda Centurion Lounge like. But I was very impressed with their liquor and beer selections.

Compared to EWR and SFO I really didn't like this lounge, it's just too small if you're there during peak times.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Christmas Day. Arrived at 1130AM, lounge was dead empty.

Buffet consisted of soup, chicken, salmon, pappardelle, potatoes. Other side had cold sandwiches and salad.

Menu, same as posts above. Champagne was Lanson. Dining room only had around 5 tables occupied.

Apple salad

Burger

Doro Wat

Beef arepa

Warm cookie skillet and gelato
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:02 pm

Anyone knows what are the usual breakfast (buffet) food options?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New dining room menu
Bisque and cod were pretty good.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
What time is the last seating for the dining room?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Visited IAD Polaris Lounge last week. I had Old Fashioned. First glass came with small ice cubes, and second glass came with a single large ice cube.

The cheese appetizer is delightful and one can never go wrong with the Polaris Burger selection.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K & Marriott Titanium
29-JAN-2023 @ ~16:30
busy but not overcrowded.

no line no wait for the dining room

slim pickings at the buffet
Old Feb 1, 2023, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
What time is the last seating for the dining room?
Think around 9pm.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.