Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Once again, they didn't load my preorder yesterday. Another ETC in the wallet
limey1K likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Once again, they didn't load my preorder yesterday. Another ETC in the wallet
Did they discover the error before serving everyone else?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by limey1K
Did they discover the error before serving everyone else?
Don't know. Wasn't loaded regardless. Piss poor.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Needless to say the burger and the so-called grain bowl were among the worst meals I have ever been served on UA. I would have been better off with one of the mediocre snack boxes that I generally dislike.

Maybe the preorder isn't so useful after all.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
Perfect UA logic - they allocate based on cost, not demand. Passenger experience is always a secondary (at best) consideration.
Originally Posted by fumje
Yeah, that would be the right way to do pre-order. This is the cheap way. Thus, it's no surprise which one United picked.
Agree with the sentiment, but how is it cheaper than the previous system though? If the meals are loaded at the same ratios as before, it seems the only change is that they implemented some IT to shift the meal selection priority from GS/1K to mostly those that happen to make pre-order selections first.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
At this point, it seems that meals are loaded in the same ratios as always and the pre-order process is just a chance to reserve, essentially, what is left.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:43 am

does united offer pre oder for premium plus on Premium transcons? Looks like its the same meal as business gets just no glassware?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
Agree with the sentiment, but how is it cheaper than the previous system though?
No one said it was. But it's just a revised allocation method, not a true pre-order system, which is absolutely the cheapest way they could do it. The fact they won't load meals based on demand just shows how pathetically cheap this airline's become.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
The business degree in me says that to really cut costs they should stop loading meals for anyone who doesn't preorder and give them a snack box instead...

They could *also* monetize this in much the same way meal delivery services do that offer "premium" meals at an up charge.

I'll see myself out.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I'm just wondering why they expended resources to implement it at all. Unless they were hoping that enough people would select the option that they didn't want anything or they would eat in the lounge to enable them to reduce # of meals loaded.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Based on the wiki, August 1 marks the beginning of pre-order on wide bodies (including International). Any idea if that means for flights August 1 or the window opens August 1 for flights August 6?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Based on the wiki, August 1 marks the beginning of pre-order on wide bodies (including International). Any idea if that means for flights August 1 or the window opens August 1 for flights August 6?
I’m guessing pre-order begins on the 1st for meals to be miscatered on the 6th.
st530, kirkwoodj and DELee like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:35 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's my guess as well. Today would have been the opening window for flights on August 1, and I haven't heard any reports of it being available. Perhaps Matthew has some insight.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lunchtime
does united offer pre oder for premium plus on Premium transcons? Looks like its the same meal as business gets just no glassware?
Came here to try and figure this out. Flying in < 5 days, and no sign of a pre-order, so I'm guessing not!
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That's my guess as well. Today would have been the opening window for flights on August 1, and I haven't heard any reports of it being available. Perhaps Matthew has some insight.
Originally Posted by cricketer
Came here to try and figure this out. Flying in < 5 days, and no sign of a pre-order, so I'm guessing not!
Posted today over in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35452606-post1248.html :

Originally Posted by belynch
August USA - EU menu available for pre-order in the app. Choices are:
  • BBQ chicken with sweet potato puree, collards, and BBQ sauce
  • Sauteed cajun shrimp with jasmine rice and tomato fondue
  • Seared asian short rib with coconut jasmine rice and stir fried veggies
  • Stir fried vegetables with udon noodles and thai style coconut ginger cream sauce
If I were in a restaurant i'd order the shrimp. But seeing as it's an airplane I'll go with eating in the Polaris lounge.
David
Old Jul 28, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under impression pre-order has been available on some int'l wide-bodies, but not domestic ones.
jd2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.