Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2024, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

united.com/preordermeals
Fall 2022 -- Only rare occasion widebodies and still hit or miss on narrow bodies.

Originally Posted by bsb7140
Signature preorder is expanding starting May 1st.

SFO/LAX/IAD narrowbody flights +1500 miles and flights between hubs over 800 miles. ORD also has signature preorder on narrowbody flights over 1500 miles.
Anticipated 1 June enhancements - UA bringing back hot meals to domestic first class -- 800 mile threshold, preorder still narrowbody only

uncomfirmed but source of earlier changes
Originally Posted by bsb7140
Beginning August 1st pre-order will expand to ALL flights over 800 miles in the premium cabin (including widebody and Intl) excluding flights from Europe.

UA is offering pre-order first class meal selection for selected domestic departures.
You receive, 4-5 days in advance, an individualized link to a selection of meals (with a caution these are not guaranteed)
generic link -- https://united.com/preordermeals
You have up until 24 hours prior to the flight to make a selection.
Note if the FA does not look in the right place on their iPhone, they may not see the pre-selection.
You can change your mind on the plane and make a different selection
If you change flights, the request is canceled and not transferred to the new flight

Initially offered on select departure from LAX (in Aug 2019) and then IAD
Some x-DEN flights started to appear in Jan 2020

Sample email
Hi there,

We're happy to offer a variety of meals that you can preorder for flight UA XXXX on YYYY ZZZZ from AAA to BBB. Visit our meal selection page at united.com/preordermeals to choose your meal preference* from our menu of available options.

You can select your meal preference starting five days before your departure and up to 24 hours before your flight(s). If you don't want to choose a meal right now, you can let us know what you'd like to eat when you're on board.

Thank you for flying with us.

*After you select your entree, we'll do our best to reserve it for your flight(s). We try to serve you the meal you chose, but we can't guarantee it since availability of meal options may change. If you choose a meal and then decide that you'd like something different, we're happy to offer other meal options on board.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

United is working towards offering passengers the option to pre-order their meal online prior to their flight. The initial phase of the work includes a trial for select passengers/flights departing LAX and IAD flying on 31 July. Details on when and how it will expand from there remain unclear.

Link to a an external site I have an interest in; FT rules require that I disclose that.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 30, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m departing LAX 31 July to OGG. Haven’t seen anything. I guess select flights...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:06 pm

Sat next to an United employee on a flight last week and she works in management out of Denver responsible for food. She mentioned that they are testing this option. Also said that they are working on improvement both the quality and choices of food. As somebody who does not eat the food unless I have to, I was very impressed with her and her knowledge of the problems. She said the lentil chili is gone.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dan Weber
Sat next to an United employee on a flight last week and she works in management out of Denver responsible for food. She mentioned that they are testing this option. Also said that they are working on improvement both the quality and choices of food. As somebody who does not eat the food unless I have to, I was very impressed with her and her knowledge of the problems. She said the lentil chili is gone.
Lentil chili was out in full force on my ORD-YVR flight on Saturday. It's almost as bad as the paneer!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is certainly welcome news.

When your IT lags AS, something is seriously wrong.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Wait...is this a one day trial, or is it flights out of these airports beginning July 31. Seems a real trial to see the flow, determine any issues, would need to go longer than a day!

but honestly, this is still a step in the right direction.

As for the Paneer, it’s been a while, but I remember it being decent. Certainly understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I do like that they are trying different options - American food is fine, but personally, I like a variety of things, so it’s nice to get different kind of options, IMO.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I hope this gets rolled out. I took a break from UA for the month of July and have really enjoyed preordering meals on Delta. I hope they switch out the Asian Noodle Salad, Lentil Chili, Chicken Pesto with Quinoa, Cobb Salad, and Buffalo Mac & Cheese soon!
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
My understanding is that this is a one-day experiment on flights between LAX and IAD on July 31st, 2019.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is certainly welcome news.

When your IT lags AS, something is seriously wrong.
Welcome news indeed. Maybe someone inside Willis Tower actually wants to improve the UA soft product. ^
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
finally! awesome news for those of us with weird dietary restrictions.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:11 am

I never understood the rationale for offering lentil chili (i.e., "beans") for a long flight. The "end" result has to be unpleasant for everyone.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Good news, but honestly surprising it has taken the industry this long to implement what should really end up as a win-win anyway (since they can cater more accurately). I definitely enjoy pre-order on DL.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
As for the Paneer, it’s been a while, but I remember it being decent. Certainly understand that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I do like that they are trying different options - American food is fine, but personally, I like a variety of things, so it’s nice to get different kind of options, IMO.
+1. With the recent declines in quality the paneer is one of the best things domestically now.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
With the recent declines in quality the paneer is one of the best things domestically now.
Agree, but someone complained about the spicy noodles upthread, so there is just no accounting for tastes sometimes.

I would think the pre-order system will also give UA more accurate feedback on what pax like and don't like. As it stands, everything gets eaten so it's just anecdotal.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given that AA and DL have both offered this for some time and that it works to UA's benefit as well because it means fewer passengers not receiving their first choice, the time lag seems silly.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
I never understood the rationale for offering lentil chili (i.e., "beans") for a long flight. The "end" result has to be unpleasant for everyone.
That is possibly the most edible meal offered by UA, if they don't have it I usually skip eating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.