Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
united.com/preordermeals

Generally available on all flights (including widebodies) over 900 miles except Premium Transcon (EWR<>SFO/LAX)

Pre-order has priority on the flight even about GS/1K and while originally pre-order was limited to a portion of each inflight choice, recent reports pre-order can consume the entire flight's allocation of a particular offering.

archive thread: UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA preorder premium cabin meal, Y snacks/drinks - all >800 (900?) mile

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Pre-orders are supposed to get their ordered choice first. GS/1Ks get first choice of what’s left. The risk of not ordering is a higher percentage of GS/1Ks (due to last minute purchases or upgrades) fighting over a smaller set of (still) proportioned meal choices. You still increase your odds of getting what you want if you pre-order. There’s no downside to pre-order (even if it doesn’t work out), so why not?
Thanks for clarifying. It was not clear to me that pre-orders get priority over GS/1K who have not pre-ordered. I've never successfully received what I pre-ordered before (in domestic F) as they always load something else so it was never clear what they were doing. As 1K, I've never not received my choice before in Polaris. I think the FA told me once that they eat the same food so they get whatever is least popular. I've been denied my choice in domestic F before when FA's decide to go front to back likely without prioritizing.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:54 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Had an email offering pre-order snacks on DEN-RNO upcoming. The first time I have ever had such an offer. What is going on?!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Reinforcing this message as well. Preorders will actually take precedence over GS/1K, so the operational goal is to always deliver pre-order meals to those that did that and then to deliver from the remaining inventory with GS/1K having priority over what is left.
As long as that policy is followed - and we all know how consistent crews are with following policies. Taking the old pre-virus Japanese meals as an example, aside from a few posts here years ago describing this issue, I personally had a few flights to or from Japan where I had pre ordered the Japanese meal only to have a GS throw a tantrum over not getting one (because they didn’t pre order) and I was asked (but refused) to give up my meal to them.

Is the current policy written somewhere where it can be referenced in case of conflict?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As long as that policy is followed - and we all know how consistent crews are with following policies. Taking the old pre-virus Japanese meals as an example, aside from a few posts here years ago describing this issue, I personally had a few flights to or from Japan where I had pre ordered the Japanese meal only to have a GS throw a tantrum over not getting one (because they didn’t pre order) and I was asked (but refused) to give up my meal to them.

Is the current policy written somewhere where it can be referenced in case of conflict?
I have an internal memo, but cannot post a screenshot (don't want to compromise my source). It says that 1K/UGS do not have priority over pre-orders.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I have an internal memo, but cannot post a screenshot (don't want to compromise my source). It says that 1K/UGS do not have priority over pre-orders.
My issue with this policy is that it requires the FAs to be proactive in reviewing the manifest for GS/1K passengers, then checking to see who pre-ordered and then reconciling the deficiencies in the catering prior to taking orders.

I stopped pre-ordering because my last two instances have resulted in no food for me. Here's what happened:

FA grabs their manifest, looks down it and sees who pre-ordered and then takes orders back to front from those that didn't pre-order, asking the GS/1K for their choice. All orders are placed and they start serving. I'm in 4A on 739 and when they go to pull my pre-order, lo and behold, it wasn't catered and they have already given the last of my selected pre-ordered meal to a non-member in 3F, who ordered it when they took the orders front to back. I'm offered whatever is left, typically the vegetarian option which I detest. It's happened twice now so I gave up counting on accuracy of UA catering or the FAs to double check pre-orders had been loaded. In both instances, I would have had the meal I ordered if the FA had checked catering, seen that it wasn't catered and just pulled one from the available meals catered as part of the standard loading.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Between this morning and this afternoon, the preorder selections for Monday's IAD-LHR daytime flight lost one option because of "popularity." I was going to go with steak and eggs anyway--that's one thing that has yet to show up on the brunch menu in my own kitchen--but you'd think that a system meant to let an airline manage demand better would then succumb to demand five days before departure.

My other question: Since our 12yo is a bit of a picky eater, what would a kid's meal be like on this morning flight?

Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Between this morning and this afternoon, the preorder selections for Monday's IAD-LHR daytime flight lost one option because of "popularity." I was going to go with steak and eggs anyway--that's one thing that has yet to show up on the brunch menu in my own kitchen--but you'd think that a system meant to let an airline manage demand better would then succumb to demand five days before departure.

My other question: Since our 12yo is a bit of a picky eater, what would a kid's meal be like on this morning flight?

About this. United is allowing pre-orders of up to 80% of a menu's items stock.

So there will be 20% of the French Toast onbaord that is not subject to pre-order. In this way, United hopes to honor the requests of GS/1K who are not able to pre-order.

I get the logic of all this, but I don't understand why ratios cannot be adjusted based on pre-orders. At this point, it seems that meals are loaded in the same ratios as always and the pre-order process is just a chance to reserve, essentially, what is left. That means it is necessary to jump on your meal reservation at the five-day mark, which I find rather pathetic.

I should do a story on this...I think it would clarify the matter.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCA writer

Or, maybe there are a lot of pre-order passengers who don’t like mushrooms!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by SS255
Or, maybe there are a lot of pre-order passengers who don’t like mushrooms!
Mrs. DCA writer is one of them—and she, too, missed out on the French toast preorder.
SS255 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Upgraded with Mrs. with my LT Gold status at T-33 for LAX-BZE. Here's what we have been offered for on this lunch time flight:

Selected the burger and Mrs. went with the harvest grain bowl.

David
Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve

So there will be 20% of the French Toast onbaord that is not subject to pre-order. In this way, United hopes to honor the requests of GS/1K who are not able to pre-order.

I get the logic of all this, but I don't understand why ratios cannot be adjusted based on pre-orders. At this point, it seems that meals are loaded in the same ratios as always and the pre-order process is just a chance to reserve, essentially, what is left. That means it is necessary to jump on your meal reservation at the five-day mark, which I find rather pathetic.
Yeah, this new process is quite silly then. I would have thought one of the ideas behind pre-order would be to reallocate based on anticipated demand.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Upgraded with Mrs. with my LT Gold status at T-33 for LAX-BZE. Here's what we have been offered for on this lunch time flight:

Selected the burger and Mrs. went with the harvest grain bowl.

David
Your luck must have rubbed off on me. For the first time in history my PP cleared, and my son and I were upgraded at T-36 for SFO-IAD!

And we also selected the burger and grain bowl LOL!

Have the GS abandoned SFO? Or just not so many flying during the holiday week. Or they cancelled out as a result of last week's UA disaster.
DELee and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 4:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I get the logic of all this, but I don't understand why ratios cannot be adjusted based on pre-orders. At this point, it seems that meals are loaded in the same ratios as always and the pre-order process is just a chance to reserve, essentially, what is left.
Perfect UA logic - they allocate based on cost, not demand. Passenger experience is always a secondary (at best) consideration.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Have the GS abandoned SFO?
Lol. 4th of July week is traditionally very light for business travel.
SPN Lifer and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I love my choice of pre-order meals for next week. Why d they even bother to list items if one can't order them?

SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should do a story on this...I think it would clarify the matter.
Originally Posted by econ
Yeah, this new process is quite silly then. I would have thought one of the ideas behind pre-order would be to reallocate based on anticipated demand.
Yeah, that would be the right way to do pre-order. This is the cheap way. Thus, it's no surprise which one United picked.
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.