Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have 500 in travel cash but United won’t allow me to use it on a flight because part of the segments are not on United. If I book a flight on all United metal and take a refund as a credit will the 500 travel cash come back as part of the credit or back as travel cash?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Refunds are returned proportionately to the original Form of Payment type.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:45 pm

Anyone know if I can access the Polaris lounge in IAD when flying from IAD to LAX. I purchased a business/first class flight that is flying lie-flats.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
Anyone know if I can access the Polaris lounge in IAD when flying from IAD to LAX. I purchased a business/first class flight that is flying lie-flats.
No.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tomtaylor23
See https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...q/polaris.html
Customers traveling in United Polaris business class on long-haul international flights may access the lounge
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:53 pm

How often are people getting upgraded to first class as 1K? I'm platinum and haven't gotten upgraded in months. Very frustrating. Trying to decide if it's worth spending some $$$ on mileage runs to hit 1K. I wish there was an easier way to earn some last minute PQPs. I thought about a united club subscription but apparently that doesn't get you PQPs.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Bronco1983
How often are people getting upgraded to first class as 1K? I'm platinum and haven't gotten upgraded in months. Very frustrating. Trying to decide if it's worth spending some $$$ on mileage runs to hit 1K. I wish there was an easier way to earn some last minute PQPs. I thought about a united club subscription but apparently that doesn't get you PQPs.
Upgrades are highly variable, dependent on route, day of week, time, aircraft type, etc.

As a general trend, upgrades are way down as demand for domestic air travel is high, and more people are buying first class at a reasonable price difference compared to prior pricing strategies.

Going for 1K solely for domestic upgrade benefit is likely to lead to disappointment.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Soon to be a free agent.
Q: Do rebooked flights on another carrier after a flight cancellation by UA count as a PQF?

I had a flight canceled last night (IAH to SDF). I was rebooked on two different flights to get home, one of them on American. (IAH to DFW on UA, then DFW to SDF on AA).

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The AA flight does not count for PQF, no. You could request ORC for IAH-SDF but if you had one UA flight anyway that would not be useful.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Not sure how simple this question is but don't know which thread it belongs in:

I will be going to Europe soon and schedule to return from VIE to BRU to US. VIE to BRU is on a partner airline.
The flight is scheduled for the 14th. The current Austria lockdown is scheduled to end the 12th and I'm planning to enter Austria on the 13th. I plan to be in PRG on the 12th.
If they extend the lockdown, I'll need to change my flight. Probably fly PRG-BRU on the 13th.

If I check UA now, I can remove VIE-BRU for no cost. Trying to change VIE-BRU to PRG-BRU on the 13th gets really expensive but it may be due to the way I'm entering it in the website. To be safe, I booked a very cheap mileage award ticket for PRG-BRU on the 13th since I can cancel it.
The UA intl segments have cleared upgrades using PP. The outbound using STW.

My questions:
1. Does removing a partner segment (VIE-BRU) typically incur a no fare difference? Technically, I should be getting money back but I'm less concerned about that. If I wait til closer to departure date do I risk having to pay a fare difference to remove the segment? I know adding/changing the segment could incur a fare difference.
2. Should I wait til after I fly the outbound to do the change to reduce the risk of the agent accidentally losing my upgrade(s)?

Last edited by eng3; Dec 1, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
1. Does removing a partner segment (VIE-BRU) typically incur a no fare difference? Technically, I should be getting money back but I'm less concerned about that. If I wait til closer to departure date do I risk having to pay a fare difference to remove the segment? I know adding/changing the segment could incur a fare difference.
Are you talking about a revenue (paid) ticket, not award? There is no general rule here; no, it is not normal for changing your departure city to have zero fare difference. "Dropping" a segment is no different than any other change.

Originally Posted by eng3
2. Should I wait til after I fly the outbound to do the change to reduce the risk of the agent accidentally losing my upgrade(s)?
Yes.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by findark
Are you talking about a revenue (paid) ticket, not award? There is no general rule here; no, it is not normal for changing your departure city to have zero fare difference. "Dropping" a segment is no different than any other change.

Yes.
Revenue.
OK, I wasn't sure if dropping a partner segment was different
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:51 pm

I realize this is an opinion, but what would be a more comfortable trip/better use of miles?

1)
52.4k miles
business class on both
flight 1: A320 ewr-ord 2h 45m
flight 2: E175 ord-fat 4h 51m

2)
42.1k miles
premium economy
flight 1: 777-200 ewr-sfo 6h 21m
flight 2: Canadair Regional Jet sfo-fat 1h economy

I guess basically is 4h 51m on an E175 in business better than 6h 21m in a premium economy seat on a 777 (or a 787 on another day)
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's tough. At equal mileage I would avoid the Devil's Chariot for sure, the PE seat on the 777 is roughly equivalent to a domestic F seat at SFO-FAT isn't exactly a long flight...

I would say they are probably fairly comparable including the difference in mileage, and you might get varying opinions here. The E75 is a nice ride up front, especially if you can get the A side.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I realize this is an opinion, but what would be a more comfortable trip/better use of miles?

1)
52.4k miles
business class on both
flight 1: A320 ewr-ord 2h 45m
flight 2: E175 ord-fat 4h 51m

2)
42.1k miles
premium economy
flight 1: 777-200 ewr-sfo 6h 21m
flight 2: Canadair Regional Jet sfo-fat 1h economy

I guess basically is 4h 51m on an E175 in business better than 6h 21m in a premium economy seat on a 777 (or a 787 on another day)
Keep in mind the meal service on an E175 in F might be a bit substandard. No ovens on that aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.