Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Since October 1st, I have noticed a significant drop (from approximately 200 to 20) in the number of "United Club one-time Pass" available to purchase on eBay, what could be the reason ?
I don't know but could you tell me, how much do they usually go for?

Maybe because people are using them instead of selling them now as travel opens up?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by rbakker

Maybe because people are using them instead of selling them now as travel opens up?
or more people (likely no longer travelling) are closing down the credit cards that provide the passes.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by rbakker

Their average price used to be $15-20 (and even cheaper if within a month of their expiration date), but now its more like $40
It was not like this even before the pandemic, I am more leaning toward the idea that people have closed their accounts post pandemic!

UC's are not even worth spending $40 on them, I would rather spend that in a restaurant or bar (even though I will start using my Priority pass now on and access any club other than United!)
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Their average price used to be $15-20 (and even cheaper if within a month of their expiration date), but now its more like $40
It was not like this even before the pandemic, I am more leaning toward the idea that people have closed their accounts post pandemic!

UC's are not even worth spending $40 on them, I would rather spend that in a restaurant or bar (even though I will start using my Priority pass now on and access any club other than United!)
Depends on which club and how long is the potential visit. I have a membership, but if I had a long layover during a quiet travel day at ORD, $40 would be a very reasonable amount for a quiet workspace, free flowing drinks, and decent snacks.

EWR on any day would be a whole other decision. Not worth it at all.

Overall, as a member, glad to see these decreasing in availability though
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:45 pm

If I have basic economy ticket, and take up an offer to "upgrade it" to full economy - will it also become refundable? (I realize chances are not high but got a medical emergency so anything helps)
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tr3k
If I have basic economy ticket, and take up an offer to "upgrade it" to full economy - will it also become refundable? ...
No, the upfare isn't likely to a refundable fare. Regardless, once you give UA non-refundable funds, those funds stay non-refundable even if you upfare to a refundable fare.
If you do need to cancel you have a credit good until 30 Dec 2022.

There may be a chance for a medical refund -- depends of the nature medical issue and if it is personal or a relative.
tr3k likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2021 at 9:10 pm Reason: medical refund links
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I know that when you are purchasing an Economy Plus seat or upgrade to First, the price of this also counts towards your PQP earning. However, when purchasing a ticket for multiple people and only one Economy Plus seat is purchased upon booking (e.g. the other travelers get Economy Plus for free due to status), who ears the PQPs? Is it the person that books the flight or the person that is actually sitting in the purchased seat?

How are the PQPs assigned (assuming one ticket) when purchasing an upgrade to First? For example, two out of four people want to pay for an upgrade to First, while the other two are happy to sit in the E+ seats behind those in First.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Each of these purchases is specific to a traveler who receives the benefit, and that traveler also gets the PQP. If only two people want to upgrade to F, the PNR will split.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by findark
Each of these purchases is specific to a traveler who receives the benefit, and that traveler also gets the PQP. If only two people want to upgrade to F, the PNR will split.
I see, thank you very much.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is no different than a company purchasing the tickets, the benefits / miles / status goes to the traveler, not the purchaser.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Question about FlyerTalk - asking here since I spend 99% of my FT time in the UA MP Forum. When I'm finished reading a thread and want to go back to the main page (listing all the UA threads) in the past, I would just scroll up a little bit and the links to the UA forum and higher level choices would appear at the top of the page. I don't see that any more - just a banner that shows News/Forums/Flyertalk logo/social media links, etc.

Did I change a setting or did this capability go away? I'm trying to avoid clicking the backspace button, since that can cause issues if I replied to a post.

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think it was "improved" away - UI bounces back and forth so hopefully it will come back.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Question about FlyerTalk - asking here since I spend 99% of my FT time in the UA MP Forum. When I'm finished reading a thread and want to go back to the main page (listing all the UA threads) in the past, I would just scroll up a little bit and the links to the UA forum and higher level choices would appear at the top of the page. I don't see that any more - just a banner that shows News/Forums/Flyertalk logo/social media links, etc.

Did I change a setting or did this capability go away? I'm trying to avoid clicking the backspace button, since that can cause issues if I replied to a post.

Thanks.
No sure I fully understand the question but yes there have been some recent changes 20 October 21 New FT Menu - discussion, problems, suggestions, reactions

Are you use on a computer or smart phone?

On the desktop versions, scrolling down a little is a link to get back to the thread listing (just below quick reply)

and if scroll up, click on the United Airlines MileagePlus hyperlink to get back to the thread listing

Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tarheelnj

Thanks.
Discussion (mostly justified griping) here:
20 October 21 New FT Menu - discussion, problems, suggestions, reactions
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No sure I fully understand the question but yes there have been some recent changes 20 October 21 New FT Menu - discussion, problems, suggestions, reactions

Are you use on a computer or smart phone?

On the desktop versions, scrolling down a little is a link to get back to the thread listing (just below quick reply)

and if scroll up, click on the United Airlines MileagePlus hyperlink to get back to the thread listing

I wasn't able to see the "scroll up" option but I do see the Back to Subforum options. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.