Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
EWR-LAX Dec 17
- No Alcohol PDB, bottled water only.
- 4-5 Mask announcements. “Having food in front of you is not enough; you have to be actively eating or drinking”
- The meal below was good. I had Thai chicken soup in the lounge, a sesame ginger Asian salad, and then this Thai Chicken. Safe, reliable options. No complaints!!! 👍
- Pretzel roll was warm!
- 1st drink service was super slow. First time I noted the staff shortages (787-9).

Thai chicken
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Just on the IAD to FRA flight; full passenger load,
as holiday travel has started.

Glassware was back for drinks, but nuts served on the meal tray were cold and served in a lidded plastic cup. Beverage was offered before departure and after takeoff, but no offer was made for drinks at the time meal tray was delivered. I had salmon with rice, which was tasty. What’s with the lack of drink service? Is it another so called covid safety measure to keep people from removing masks?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
Just on the IAD to FRA flight; full passenger load,
as holiday travel has started.

Glassware was back for drinks, but nuts served on the meal tray were cold and served in a lidded plastic cup. Beverage was offered before departure and after takeoff, but no offer was made for drinks at the time meal tray was delivered. I had salmon with rice, which was tasty. What’s with the lack of drink service? Is it another so called covid safety measure to keep people from removing masks?
You're in the wrong thread for Polaris Business (this is the correct one). But if you read the posts directly above yours in THIS thread, you'll find your answers.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 1991 EWR-SFO, 12/20/2021
787-9

My first flight upfront since the return of glassware! No PDB besides bottled water, though.

Lunch choices were chicken with orzo or butternut squash ravioli, and I went with the pasta. Everything on the tray arrived uncovered except for the warmed-up pretzel roll and the cold nuts. The lemongrass flavor in that salad was a pleasant surprise, and the drink service was at pre-pandemic levels--a few minutes after I took this shot, the FA noticed my empty champagne flute sitting to one side and asked if I wanted a refill.

Snack choices were hummus with veggies or the charcuterie plate you see below. See the plastic utensils? I have no idea why this course didn't come with metal utensils.

cesco.g likes this.

Last edited by DCA writer; Dec 21, 2021 at 3:09 pm
Old Dec 21, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
MCO-ORD “Snack” on a 738.

Great service throughout flight, including full PDB by request.

Snack options were presented as either the tomato/mozzarella sandwich or chicken sandwich; apologized during distribution that apparently catering only loaded chicken and got snack boxes from coach for those of us who wanted them. Had a stray mango White Claw.

Great elite status recognition.
BlueSky72 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
This is so sad compared to AA. They have pretty much returned to full pre-COVID levels of service on their trans-cons:
  • choice of water, OJ or sparkling wine pre-departure
  • order on website before flight
  • printed menus
  • 3-4 choices (beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian)
  • hot towels
  • warmed nuts in ramekins
  • ice cream, cheese plate, deserts
  • snack basket with more than 2 choices
  • warmed cookie prior to arrival
During the pandemic, AA has been better than UA for premium transcon flights in terms of food, but terrible for other domestic flights. You win some, you lose some.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
As someone with Celiac and is strict at home and should be Gluten Free, this meal looks like heaven. I’m fortunate I don’t get sick from possible contamination (even though I should avoid it) this meal should be fairly “gluten friendly”. Grilled chicken, steamed veg and polenta, salad , nuts.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Denver to LAX last Saturday.

Got tired of eating the same chicken dish and too short of a flight to sober up after drinking, so flew economy plus row 21. Better legroom than up front.

10 more snack boxes to use up the last of my 2021 Amex airline credit. FA bagged them in the recycling bag for me.

Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seat38a

Got tired of eating the same chicken dish and too short of a flight to sober up after drinking, so flew economy plus row 21. Better legroom than up front.

10 more snack boxes to use up the last of my 2021 Amex airline credit. FA bagged them in the recycling bag for me.

What’s your perceived actual value per $1 of credit? 25 cents? I guess something is better than letting the credits vaporize.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by seat38a

Why not use up your Amex Credit on Travel Bank? At least then you could put it toward airfare.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
What’s your perceived actual value per $1 of credit? 25 cents? I guess something is better than letting the credits vaporize.
As someone who goes to national parks for hiking, they sell the same garbage in the United boxes as bagged lunch. Non perishable and high sodium for hiking for something like 25 dollars a sac lunch. I just grab one of United's boxes with a fruit and some electrolight powder and I have the same thing for a fraction of the price that the National Parks charge for. So I see grabbing the boxes from United as a savings and a much better value.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-EWR 22 Dec 935 am 763 seat 5A

50 minute delay due to late-arriving crew. Rare departure from Terminal D made Centurion Lounge even more of a no-brainer than usual. Delay at the gate spurred an unplanned trip to the nearby KLM Crown Lounge, which is dreadful for breakfast, food-wise (but good on booze if that’s your thing).

Finally boarded. No PDB despite oodles of time to do it. Breakfast orders taken very curtly before departure. Went with the waffle for the first time and oh my what a sugar high (especially with the side of lemon wafers) but it was quite tasty. First time getting Dole fruit cup ex-IAH. (They must have finally run out of grapes.) Adult-proof plastic seal resulted in an explosion of sticky fruit juice all over tray and arm. Literally a worse choice than no fruit at all.

Drink order was taken post-takeoff and before serving breakfast. Crew kept proactively refilling bubbly, so no complaints there.

Watched “The Night House” from the list of new releases. Recommend!

Happy Holidays all!

tstauck likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by st530
IAH-EWR 22 Dec 935 am 763 seat 5A
Finally boarded. No PDB despite oodles of time to do it. Breakfast orders taken very curtly before departure. Went with the waffle for the first time and oh my what a sugar high (especially with the side of lemon wafers) but it was quite tasty. First time getting Dole fruit cup ex-IAH. (They must have finally run out of grapes.) Adult-proof plastic seal resulted in an explosion of sticky fruit juice all over tray and arm. Literally a worse choice than no fruit at all.

Happy Holidays all!

flew same exact route same exact time last week also out of the D gates (must be a standard for this flight since aircraft is arriving from South America?) and also had exact same breakfast thanks to GS/1K taking all the eggs, except I actually had grapes not the dole cup. My sympathies are the same, might just be one of the WORST breakfasts one can ever have unless you are hypoglycemic.

Last edited by flyingrohit; Dec 23, 2021 at 12:43 pm
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
During the pandemic, AA has been better than UA for premium transcon flights in terms of food, but terrible for other domestic flights. You win some, you lose some.
This also holds true for airplanes as well: the equipment flown on transcons as well as the wide bodies are day/night compared to the domestic a321 and other narrow bodies that have been densified and stripped of IFE.

Also another AA enhancement over UA: real milk for coffee and tea on offer versus whatever those things are that UA now offers.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
DEN-EWR Breakfast

FA was offering mimosas as PDBs so I got another with my meal.

seat38a likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.