Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
DEN-IAD today. Snack box. PDB was water only.
Flight time 0945-1458. Aren't we supposed to get a hot breakfast now? Haven't been paying attention.

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Yes! Hub-hub 800 miles should be hot meal! Write in!
Originally Posted by findark
DEN seems to be out of food again.
Update: I did write in. Got 2500 miles.
First and foremost, thank you for being a Premier Platinum MileagePlus member with us.
I'm sorry to hear the first class food service offered on your flight to Washington-Dulles Monday didn't meet expectations. We're always looking for ways to serve you better, and I've shared your feedback with our Catering Operations team for internal review and improvements.

Additionally, I'm adding 2,500 bonus miles to your MileagePlus account as a gesture of concern. These goodwill miles will post to your account within a few days.

We appreciate your loyalty and hope to give you a better experience on our next journey together.
Regards,
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by findark
DEN seems to be out of food again.
It's not so much food they're out of as employees. They have extremely severe staffing issues in DEN.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Update: I did write in. Got 2500 miles.
That is the worst of the boxes. It's a real gut bomb.
There's a new rule for F class travel on UA:

If you want something good to eat, bring your own.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Same old stuff on SFO-ORD Tuesday and ORD-SFO yesterday ... Latin Rice Chicken or Italian Ragu with fruit bowl and Pie In the Sky. At this point I am going to start asking for items from Y, just for something different.

The highlight on the return was an excellent SFO crew that normally fly Internationals. Galley FA came to me with the PDB tray and said proactively "Greenpau, welcome aboard and thanks for your business - I am happy to bring you something else if you wish?" ... and I ordered a G&T PDB.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by greenpau
Same old stuff on SFO-ORD Tuesday and ORD-SFO yesterday ... Latin Rice Chicken or Italian Ragu with fruit bowl and Pie In the Sky. At this point I am going to start asking for items from Y, just for something different.

The highlight on the return was an excellent SFO crew that normally fly Internationals. Galley FA came to me with the PDB tray and said proactively "Greenpau, welcome aboard and thanks for your business - I am happy to bring you something else if you wish?" ... and I ordered a G&T PDB.
Impressed they knew your FT handle as well!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Silver
UA1928 on 12/09.
No PDB offered but there was glassware LAX-EWR high J 763.
Chicken with painted grill marks, puck ala polenta, broccolini, and ?brown sauce?.
Proactive refills. Second choice was mystery ravioli.

cesco.g likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
First class meals on transcon - what to expect?

I haven't flown UA in two years, but I have a segment early next week on first, RDU-SFO non stop departing at 6:15am. What should I expect, meal-wise?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Peruse this thread:
2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: Mosaic, AsiaMiles, Mabuhay, Alaska
Originally Posted by Airbus_Retard
UA1928 on 12/09.
Chicken with painted grill marks, puck ala polenta, broccolini, and ?brown sauce?.

This was the meal my sis picked for our 763 flight. She liked it. I liked my ravioli better.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:46 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
16-Dec LIH-LAX UA466 (afternoon flight)
PDB (water only)
Choice of chicken (didn't see it, assume either teri or katsu) or cauliflower croquettes, identical to second photo from VWang1111 in this thread. Only offered the vegetarian choice but either would have suited me.

Croquettes as a concept I'm on board with; this particular execution is a bit mushy and bland, but the grilled radicchio helped with flavor. Rice balls were unusual and good, and guava cake was a nice way to end meal. Pretzel bread warm, finally! Exceptional service on this flight. Friendly crew. Only about 50 pax in total on board. All pax and bags were loaded early in LIH so we left 20 minutes ahead of schedule and landed about the same in LAX. Flight had a relaxed atmosphere. Bonus: bags took less than 10 minutes in LAX.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:49 am

Had the same dish on SFO-EWR yesterday. Then they offered a cheese plate -at 1 in the morning as we were delayed - that was a massive block of cheddar and swiss. The food is actually comical now. They need to re-think and go the jetblue route.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by Whyme
It's not so much food they're out of as employees. They have extremely severe staffing issues in DEN.
When you fire all of your employees, like United did to its catering employees a few months ago, you tend to end up out of employees.

Its hard to understand how a Chick-Fil-A or In-n-Out can keep employees preparing thousands of fresh meals a day, yet an airline struggles to cater drink carts and snack boxes.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Dan Weber
Had the same dish on SFO-EWR yesterday. Then they offered a cheese plate -at 1 in the morning as we were delayed - that was a massive block of cheddar and swiss. The food is actually comical now. They need to re-think and go the jetblue route.
Was on a red-eye last week on the same route. There were actually 3 meal options offered: the chicken dish seen above, and 2 types of pasta/ravioli (don't remember exactly which ones).
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Airbus_Retard
UA1928 on 12/09.

This is so sad compared to AA. They have pretty much returned to full pre-COVID levels of service on their trans-cons:
  • choice of water, OJ or sparkling wine pre-departure
  • order on website before flight
  • printed menus
  • 3-4 choices (beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian)
  • hot towels
  • warmed nuts in ramekins
  • ice cream, cheese plate, deserts
  • snack basket with more than 2 choices
  • warmed cookie prior to arrival
Carfield and Warriorconcept like this.

Last edited by Infinite1K; Dec 17, 2021 at 12:37 pm Reason: Remove stray bullet point
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:48 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
This is so sad compared to AA. They have pretty much returned to full pre-COVID levels of service on their trans-cons:
  • choice of water, OJ or sparkling wine pre-departure
  • order on website before flight
  • printed menus
  • 3-4 choices (beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian)
  • hot towels
  • warmed nuts in ramekins
  • ice cream, cheese plate, deserts
  • snack basket with more than 2 choices
  • warmed cookie prior to arrival
This is funny to me, as I was just posting on the AA forum extolling the virtues of UA's domestic premium cabin meal service. The AA transcons are truly the outlier. Aside from those limited routes, they are still serving ice cold sandwiches with hummus and a small sad salad on even their longest domestic routes (like PHX-ANC). UA on the other hand has passable hot meals on most comparable routes. But funny enough, AA does seem to outshine UA on the premium transcons.

Service on UA is still demonstrably better than what I have experienced on AA recently. Friendly service, multiple rounds of beverages, checking in with passengers during longer flights to see if they need anything. None of that is happening on AA. But there is obviously room for improvement across the board here. If JetBlue can pull it off, why not UA and AA too?
seanp7 and tstauck like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.