Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
When the feds drop the mask requirement, it seems very likely that AA/WN (from their comments to congress) and DL (they're not even masking at HQ anymore) will follow. Will UA? Is there more business to gain by continuing the requirement than there is to lose?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by mduell
When the feds drop the mask requirement, it seems very likely that AA/WN (from their comments to congress) and DL (they're not even masking at HQ anymore) will follow. Will UA? Is there more business to gain by continuing the requirement than there is to lose?
Kirby thought it would expire in September

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...te-will-expire
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:05 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have deleted several posts that are off topic and/or debating the effectiveness of masks. Those posts do not belong here.

Regards,
letoile
forum co-moderator
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Don’t know if this the right forum but i’ll try. Flew United domestic on Thursday-regular cloth mask required. Flew EWR/FCO 1/22/22 and everyone was required to wear an N95. At gate announcement was made that they were required if you a PAX did not have one “…we can direct you where to buy one.” New? Italy requirement?? BTW, FCO was a ghost town
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manstein58
Don’t know if this the right forum but i’ll try. Flew United domestic on Thursday-regular cloth mask required. Flew EWR/FCO 1/22/22 and everyone was required to wear an N95. At gate announcement was made that they were required if you a PAX did not have one “…we can direct you where to buy one.” New? Italy requirement?? BTW, FCO was a ghost town
Evidently confusing KN95 with N95?

(mask requirement for Italy)

• From December 25, 2021 until March 31, 2022, the use of more protective FFP2/KN95 masks is mandatory to participate in all indoor and outdoor cultural and recreational events, and on all transportation.
https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2022 at 10:44 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
not sure this UA's fault - in fact, maybe you should thank them for warning you before you board/land about a new country-specific government requirement that they have zero control over?

-m
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2022 at 10:52 am Reason: Masking effectiveness or governmental mandates are a discussion for other forums
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Curious - anyone know if there is a way to publicly track unruly passengers? Was on a flight to PHX today and pretty sure a passenger in economy plus refused to wear a mask- cops were at the gate when we landed. Had my headphones on the whole time and didn’t see anything from first— can we look up details about things like this anywhere?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yankervitch
Curious - anyone know if there is a way to publicly track unruly passengers? Was on a flight to PHX today and pretty sure a passenger in economy plus refused to wear a mask- cops were at the gate when we landed. Had my headphones on the whole time and didn’t see anything from first— can we look up details about things like this anywhere?
Not from the airlines
FAA actions take months but are public
In many jurisdiction the police blotter is publicly available
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by st530
....Crew was unusually strict on mask requirements, repeating them multiple times over PA.
Some of us are thankful for the strict mask enforcement. Too many people not following guidance and putting us at risk and extending the pandemic.
comfortablynumb, FAA1996 and ARR72 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2022 at 4:22 pm Reason: removed images as not releavent to post
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Some of us are thankful for the strict mask enforcement. Too many people not following guidance and putting us at risk and extending the pandemic.
+1 Indeed, that's one of the reasons I like the single tray service. It seems especially good to do meal service as quickly as possible given that people take their masks off to eat.
FAA1996 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2022 at 5:36 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the posters
Old Feb 2, 2022, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Indeed, but it's still haphazard and sloppy. On my flight from BOG-IAH, the lead FA in first was literally walking the FC aisle barking at us to put the mask back on between bites of our meager breakfast, even while some of us still had the fork in our mouths. While I've been a member of the Mask Police in a variety of venues for the past two years, this was too much even or me to deal with. He had my seat mate so worked up and confused, they ended up trying to put a mouthful of omelet right through their mask.

Fast forward, my Mandarin teacher was flying TPE-NRT-SFO-ORD and on the UA segments, specifically NRT-SFO a substantial portion of the economy cabin were wearing their masks as bibs, eye shades, hair nets or other stupidity with the FAs doing absolutely nothing about it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2022 at 7:48 pm Reason: Best we stick to UA in the UA forum and not get in speculation of COVID transmission
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What did the FA say when it was brought to her/his attention

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2022 at 7:50 pm Reason: removed quote and response to deleted content
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:08 pm

Keep the masks---I eat my meals in a minute or two and put the mask back on. will not fly if no masks this year
FAA1996, chavala and dilanesp like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by trk1
Keep the masks---I eat my meals in a minute or two and put the mask back on. will not fly if no masks this year
And there are many like my wife who is vaxxed and boosted, but HATES flying due to masks. People like her just tend to be quieter about their stance, but I sure hear about it at home
DJ_Iceman, rch4u, gmt4 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While there is a strong temptations to get into COVID transmission discussions, this is the wrong forum for that.

This thread is about what precautions UA is taking, how UA is preforming on their stated precautions and enforcing the DoT rules for passengers.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.