Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Last couple flights I have been on, they have been handing out generic wipe packets, not the UA branded one.

Seemed significantly less "industrial".
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Last couple flights I have been on, they have been handing out generic wipe packets, not the UA branded one.

Seemed significantly less "industrial".
Yeah. UA has been handing out Wipex wipes recently.
​​​​​​
In the name of safety and $$$, I am sure.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Yeah. UA has been handing out Wipex wipes recently. ...
I got the standard UA branded wipes this week departing from SFO.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Anybody home? The wipes are simple virtue signaling. The evidence is overwhelming that the virus is not spreading via surfaces. The airline obviously believes we will think highly of them for passing out wipes. What we should think instead is "Stupidity gets no respect". Lose the wipes and bring back real service, real meals, real glasses.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:50 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Is not an either or situation.

it’s not like if they stopped passing out wipes, they will have better food and drinks again.

the wipes will help with influenza. Intercontinental travel and fomites are definitely implicated in the spread of the flu.
United747, bluedemon211 and ARR72 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
BYOW.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Anybody home? The wipes are simple virtue signaling. The evidence is overwhelming that the virus is not spreading via surfaces. The airline obviously believes we will think highly of them for passing out wipes. What we should think instead is "Stupidity gets no respect". Lose the wipes and bring back real service, real meals, real glasses.
Maybe they're honest this time and they're just trying to signal that their cleaning is subpar and they expect the passenger to do it instead Oh and as a bonus, no need for a pre-departure drink, because you can just inhale the alcohol.

On a more serious note, the wipes are useful against other bacteria and viruses and people might be more aware. Some passengers who are now more sensitized to germs may find it convenient that they don't have to bring their own.

P.S: I also have a collection of wipes, because I never use them.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:28 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Wipes provided last evening HNL-ORD although I didn’t see a single passenger use one.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:09 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I use the wipes to wipe down armrests, tray and any other surface I might touch on the flight. But the attendants don't seem to like to pick up the used wipe so you have to put it on the meal tray.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Received them in recent days -- yours may have been a one-off issue
As the pandemic has gone on I've seen FAs go from universally militant about handing them out to more passive and over the past few months I've had a few flights -- maybe 20% -- where wipes haven't been proactively offered (on one someone asked for one during boarding and the FA rustled about in the galley and came up with one. The others...either no one asked or I wasn't paying attention to boarding when they did.

I have enough of them in my laptop bag that if you squeezed the alcohol out of them I'd be at risk of violating TSA's max liquid count...and that's after purging a few dozen a couple weeks ago.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I use the wipes on all the surfaces the cleaners don't bother to clean, like tray tables.
AeRoSpaceman and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I have enough of them in my laptop bag that if you squeezed the alcohol out of them I'd be at risk of violating TSA's max liquid count...and that's after purging a few dozen a couple weeks ago.
BYO PDB
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
BYO PDB
@ 70% isopropyl alcohol that might not be a great idea.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wipes on both my UA flights (MKE-ORD-RDU) last weekend. If anyone wants to BYOW I have about three dozen on my bedside table at home from when I empty out my pockets post trip. Just let me know your address
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I, too, have probably about a hundred of these stuffed into every pouch, bag, pocket, nook, and cranny of every piece of luggage or article of clothing that I take or wear when traveling. If anyone is on a flight an unhappy with the brand of wipe they receive (I didn't realize this was a thing), just ask me and I'll produce a few "premium" United branded ones for you.
Xyzzy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.