Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think I now have UA alcohol wipes in nearly every pocket f every bag and jacket I own.
I thought I was the only one I think I have about 20 in my laptop bag now and this is after giving handfuls to my slightly more germ concerned wife each time I see her.

I'm slightly sensitive to chemical-y smells and while one of those wipes is only annoying when more than 2 or 3 of them is open at the same time within a radius of a few seats it serves as a rapid covid test: "*choke* *gag* *eyes water* ok...I can smell that, chances of me having COVID are even lower than I thought before I boarded )
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January
The Transportation Security Administration will extend its US federal transportation mask mandate through January 18, the agency confirmed late Tuesday afternoon.
Note -- this is posted here because UA will be required to enforce this TSA requirement.

THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR DEBATING THE VALIDITY OF THIS REQUIREMENT

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January

Note -- this is posted here because UA will be required to enforce this TSA requirement.

THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR DEBATING THE VALIDITY OF THIS REQUIREMENT

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Not "debating the validity of the requirement" but it is depressing to say the least. Long flights are tough especially when you add the mask time at the airport. Thankfully I have a only couple of TCONs for the rest of the year and a bunch of short'ish west coast runs so I guess I'll live. Mercifully nothing into Europe, Asia, or SA until 2022. .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
Not "debating the validity of the requirement" but it is depressing to say the least. Long flights are tough especially when you add the mask time at the airport. Thankfully I have a only couple of TCONs for the rest of the year and a bunch of short'ish west coast runs so I guess I'll live. Mercifully nothing into Europe, Asia, or SA until 2022. .
Not to mention I’m sure domestic airlines will continue to hide behind this as an excuse for not offering full service.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cmd320
Not to mention I’m sure domestic airlines will continue to hide behind this as an excuse for not offering full service.
This is the NLY problem I have with the on-board mask requirement.
Doppy, lincolnjkc and VRFast like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)

While not a ‘high touch’ area, this isn’t a good look during a time when United are touting their advanced cleaning…

No food offering (at all) on CMH-IAH on Saturday… apparently wasn’t catered out of IAH on the IAH-CMH the night before.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
So much for the clean plus. First, picture the seat pocket August 22 LHR to ORD. Second picture is my wiping down the armrests ORD to SEA.

Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:14 am

Seems that cleanplus is nothing other than a marketing gimmick. Hardly a shocker there
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Seems that cleanplus is nothing other than a marketing gimmick. Hardly a shocker there
This is a very small sample size, but on my four recent flights, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the planes were - even in the lavs. 3 older 767s, and one 787-10, #2 in that fleet.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been pointed out before, but the dark pickup on the wipes is likely dye from the armrest, not grime.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I haven’t flown in several weeks. Seems like they no longer hand out the industrial strength wipes?

Now more than ever we need them as the planes are becoming ratty and filthy (not cleaning nicely btw flights)
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I haven’t flown in several weeks. Seems like they no longer hand out the industrial strength wipes?

Now more than ever we need them as the planes are becoming ratty and filthy (not cleaning nicely btw flights)
Neither has been my experience — I have received a wipe on boarding every flight as far as I can remember and the aircraft seem to be getting more cleaning attention than pre-pandemic.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Neither has been my experience — I have received a wipe on boarding every flight as far as I can remember and the aircraft seem to be getting more cleaning attention than pre-pandemic.
Just got off SFO-ORD on a 789 this AM. stains on surfaces, no wipes provided while boarding or in the tray. No pillows and only Y blankets in lie flat F.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I haven’t flown in several weeks. Seems like they no longer hand out the industrial strength wipes? ....
Received them in recent days -- yours may have been a one-off issue
Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Have a huge supply of UA wipes - never use them. Let me know if you need them.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.