Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
So apparently the entire policy is sham window dressing except the "onboard" portion...
??? I believe UA does "own" gate areas in many locals

Gate "ownership" in airports is a complicated arrangement based on local policies. Where UA does not "own" it is the responsibility of the airport operator.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
??? I believe UA does "own" gate areas in many locals

Gate "ownership" in airports is a complicated arrangement based on local policies. Where UA does not "own" it is the responsibility of the airport operator.
This is why I think the response (combined with the two other employees who declined to enforce the policy) indicates that the policy, specifically,

Originally Posted by https://hub.united.com/2020-07-22-united-extends-mask-requirements-to-airports-2646449310.html
United Airlines today announced that customers will be required to wear a face covering in the more than 360 airports where the airline operates around the world. This includes United customer service counters and kiosks, United Club locations, United's gates and baggage claim areas.
is a sham. For most airports in the US, UA has an exclusive or preferential use lease on those gates -- internationally and in some domestic ports common use gates are more common -- these are typically easily identified by the lack of any permanent UA branding and more generic/airport standard furnishings/gate equipment. if it looks/smells/feels like a UA gate more often than not its an exclusive or preferential use gate.

As far as I know, except possibly in hubs, UA owns (in the literal sense) no airport terminal property, however as a tenant they (based on typical airport leases at least) have essentially the same ability to control activities on their leased premises as a literal owner would; if UA is going to have the policy that masks must be worn in their gate areas but decline to enforce it because they "do not own [they] rent" -- the policy is worth less than the bits it traveled the Internet on, and similarly ineffective for baggage claim and ticket counters, arguably even clubs. (For my own curiosity I've submitted a FOI request for the DCA airline use agreement and premises lease since MWAA's FOI policy says it should already be on their website but the link is missing, ovbiously that's not really here nor there in the long term -- if UA has decided to have an unenforceable policy that's their call)
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... As far as I know, except possibly in hubs, UA owns (in the literal sense) no airport terminal property, however as a tenant they (based on typical airport leases at least) have essentially the same ability to control activities on their leased premises as a literal owner would; if UA is going to have the policy that masks must be worn in their gate areas but decline to enforce it because they "do not own [they] rent" -- the policy is worth less than the bits it traveled the Internet on, and similarly ineffective for baggage claim and ticket counters, arguably even clubs. ....
While understanding your disappointment, a significant portion, a majority?, of UA's domestic traffic is thru hubs where the hopefully things are better enforced. So while outstations may not get the full treatment due to those airport policies, I tend to go for the cup is half full vs half empty. But I am not traveling for many reasons and I guess i can be more philosophical.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Pleasant update from the DEN club!

Server came around with the most tasty item I have ever had in a United Club: Dolmathakia, or something like it. It was refrigerated and truly delicious. A few hours later, she came around and gave out refrigerated mezzo sampler plates with tabouleh, hummus, pita bread, and falafels. WAY TO UP THE GAME UNITED!
United is nothing but consistent

One club has a scrum crowd jockeying for space at the bar, maskless people crowded together, no place to sit, while another has bowls of mini-oreos and pita chips for dinner, yet another now has table-side heuer d'oeuvre service.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen

One club has a scrum crowd jockeying for space at the bar, maskless people crowded together, no place to sit, while another has bowls of mini-oreos and pita chips for dinner, yet another now has table-side heuer d'oeuvre service.
This is the same club (DEN) that was suggested to contact the county health department a few posts back
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh well: Surprise & Delight coming back!
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
This is the same club (DEN) that was suggested to contact the county health department a few posts back
no that was Houston
Old Oct 2, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
no that was Houston
I stand corrected
Old Oct 2, 2020, 3:12 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I stand corrected
Don't worry, a seat should be available soon...
Old Oct 2, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wpcoe
Don't worry, a seat should be available soon...
I see what you did there. Well played.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I had to connect through IAD yesterday. The airport was PACKED. I walked past 2 closed United Clubs to the only Club open, and it was PACKED. No seat available that was social distant.
So I had a 15 minute hike only to be rewarded with a small bottle of water as I walked right back out for another 15 min hike back to my gate.

Not only a money grab, but failing to provide space to spread out in an environment that mask use is limited due to food and drink.

Ridiculous.
and probably a violation of local county health laws about distancing as part of indoor dining. Report them.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
and probably a violation of local county health laws about distancing as part of indoor dining. Report them.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Boy, I guess my timing must have just been bad going thru Denver yesterday. Club was JAMMED at 11 am. No food at all. Guess the transition from breakfast to lunch that used to be around 10:30 didn't happen before I left at 11:30 am. Bar line was 7 deep but moved. Mask wearing was an utter joke. Groups of 4-6 guys with feet up on chairs acting like a frat party. All had drinks in front of them but only drank when someone admonished them for lack of mask use. Bottom line, really glad there was food on my flight.
It is shameful that UA tolerates this behavior in lounges. So everyone needs to wear a mask on board, but can behave like an animal inside of a lounge? This is what, the 4th report of this kind of chaos inside the lounge and UA is failing to do anything about it? Maybe a few more visits from the local county health inspectors will move the needle on their focus.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
It is shameful that UA tolerates this behavior in lounges. So everyone needs to wear a mask on board, but can behave like an animal inside of a lounge? This is what, the 4th report of this kind of chaos inside the lounge and UA is failing to do anything about it? Maybe a few more visits from the local county health inspectors will move the needle on their focus.
While I'm not going to be the one calling a health department on UA [and a significant part of me is curious to what extent a health department's regulatory powers are preempted by the Airline Deregulation Act if UA really wanted to fight it]…

Based on interactions I've personally had with UA regarding mask usage, their basic position is that they have no power or will to enforce a mask policy anywhere other than onboard. -- all of the ground based policies are purely illusory/suggestions with both UA front-line UA employees stating that they cannot enforce the policy anywhere within the terminals (and at one point telling me that it was just "something the airport requests...United has nothing to do with it" when in a state with an active public health order mandating it and UA customer care confirming that that is the corporate position.

I'd personally rather UA have no policy at all rather than one they're unwilling to enforce, but that is the state of things.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 3:45 pm

While I'm not going to be the one calling a health department on UA [and a significant part of me is curious to what extent a health department's regulatory powers are preempted by the Airline Deregulation Act if UA really wanted to fight it]…....
The county health board has total authority over any lounge offering food/beverage services, no different than a restaurant - and I've sent the health inspector into UA and AC lounges before, so I have some experience with this.

I understood the UA policy applied to onboard plus any airport space that they owned or leased - a check-in area, or a lounge would certainly fall into that category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.