Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by prestonh
Well the message was you will be breaking the law. So what is the law?
I'm not aware of any federal (i.e. national) laws regarding masks on airliners. Individual cities and states have laws which apply in the airports and can vary significantly. The airlines each have their own rules with very similar requirements for face masks while onboard and in the airports.

I wouldn't expect front line employees to know the nuances. They should know what the applicable requirement is and specifically how it should be enforced even if they are confused about the source of the specific requirement.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you look at the seat map on an Alaska flight, the blocked seats are rather clear. All middle seats on 3x3 aircraft are blocked, and on 2x2 aircraft, one aisle seat is blocked front to back. It's not a strong suggestion it's an absolute policy with an exception for overbook/IRROP situations.

There are plenty of examples of no mask enforcement and/or FA's or GA's not wearing their masks properly throughout this forum and on social media - it's not exactly a secret.
i see, you haven’t experienced it. Good to know. I’ll wait for an answer to my second question.

I can report today on BOS-DEN 647 my family had taken a row, consuming all but 1 seat. There was a similar pattern in the seat map for the row in front. This morning, those middle seats were taken. No one came to sit in those seats, and I noticed other middle seats booked according to the seat map were wide open as well.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avnmgr
This boarding from the back is crazy. I’m on a completely full flight and sitting in row 10. When they called my row I boarded and the overhead bins are completely filled from those behind. So much for having status or priority. I get the reason but loyalty means nothing. Switching to Southwest- at least there they are actually respecting social distancing and your status means something.
Your profile says you're a 1K - they've still been doing preboarding for GS and 1K.

Interestingly you can still pay for priority boarding on United if you're not an elite. Since they're not doing priority boarding for other than 1K and above, I guess they are just hoping that people will pay the fee and then not complain when they don't get the service?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Doppy
Your profile says you're a 1K - they've still been doing preboarding for GS and 1K.

Interestingly you can still pay for priority boarding on United if you're not an elite. Since they're not doing priority boarding for other than 1K and above, I guess they are just hoping that people will pay the fee and then not complain when they don't get the service?
Good point, but isn't that bundled with priority security/baggage as well?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 5:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A generic discussion about the safest way to do air travel has been moved to Coronavirus forum as Safest aircraft operation in COVID era: boarding back to front, empty middles, ...

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:41 am

Boarding Process for upcoming flight

Hello - I'm flying EWR-ORD next week. I haven't flown in nearly 6 months, and have been reading through all of the previous comments. I have several questions:

1) What is the boarding process like? Do GS/1K get called ahead of group 1? Or do they board from back of the plane to front? Worried that overhead space will be gone as I'm seated in the front.
2) Does anyone have any experience with wearing a N95 respirator on board? It says on the United website that masks with valves will not be allowed. I have a N95 but it has a valve on it. Wondering if double-masking would be allowed?
Old Aug 19, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello - I'm flying EWR-ORD next week. I haven't flown in nearly 6 months, and have been reading through all of the previous comments. I have several questions:

1) What is the boarding process like? Do GS/1K get called ahead of group 1? Or do they board from back of the plane to front? Worried that overhead space will be gone as I'm seated in the front.
2) Does anyone have any experience with wearing a N95 respirator on board? It says on the United website that masks with valves will not be allowed. I have a N95 but it has a valve on it. Wondering if double-masking would be allowed?
1) Yes, all the old preboarding groups get called, usually at once. Then they board back to front. My personal experience is that there isn't any issue with overhead space at present, but some others here don't seem to feel the same.
2) I can't imagine anyone will bother you if you put a cloth or surgical mask over your valved mask.
sgopal2 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by sgopal2
Originally Posted by fumje
2) I can't imagine anyone will bother you if you put a cloth or surgical mask over your valved mask.
Agreed. A N95+ mask with exhalation valve with a surgical mask over the top is a preferred method used my some medical places.
It's unfortunate if United's (and others') wording stipulates that N95 masks with valves aren't allowed. They should at least be more specific and state that N95 with exhalation valves aren't allowed if the valve isn't being properly covered also.
sgopal2 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Does United block adjacent seats for Domestic First or will I end up with someone that gets upgraded beside me? Delta and Alaska appear to be blocking Adjacent for First/Business
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pprrff
Does United block adjacent seats for Domestic First or will I end up with someone that gets upgraded beside me? Delta and Alaska appear to be blocking Adjacent for First/Business
Not sure why "upgrade" is a factor - someone can be assigned to the adjacent seat who bought their ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not sure why "upgrade" is a factor - someone can be assigned to the adjacent seat who bought their ticket.
Well I would only buy on a flight with low loads and switch seats as needed. Upgrade would happen at the gate after I've selected the seat.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
no block.

David
Old Aug 21, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, united 1k, priority
My experience has been no - first will be completely full.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by avnmgr
My experience has been no - first will be completely full.
Well that means no UA flying for me! I was looking for every excuse to fly UA including cash upgrading to first (at my own cost, company won’t pay).
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well that means no UA flying for me! I was looking for every excuse to fly UA including cash upgrading to first (at my own cost, company won’t pay).
If you’re looking for F with blocked seats your only real option will be DL or the few Mint transcon routes on B6.

If you’re planning to head over to DL brace yourself for the most embarrassing F soft product on offer today.
bluedemon211 and findark like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.