Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I’m on a UA flight now and FA announced that it’s forbidden to take your mask all the way off the eat or drink, you can only lower it and that failure to comply means $ 35,000 fine and your on a no fly list.

Is “no removing masks to eat and drink, you can only lower them ” an FAA rule? I’ve never heard that before.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I’m on a UA flight now and FA announced that it’s forbidden to take your mask all the way off the eat or drink, you can only lower it and that failure to comply means $ 35,000 fine and your on a no fly list.

Is “no removing masks to eat and drink, you can only lower them ” an FAA rule? I’ve never heard that before.
I think it's an exasperated FA... For the masks I own (including a United-issued mask [which is actually one of my most comfortable]) "lowering" the mask isn't really possible/practical with the way the mask is constructed/the geometry of my face. Though I've also never taken the mask all the way off -- I usually let it hang by one ear whilst I'm either taking a drink or shoveling food into my noise hole. I've also seen an emotionally violent reaction when a F passenger was told that they had to reinstall their mask when had it draped over the armrest and they weren't actively eating or drinking...
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM

131 segments this year and counting and that's the strongest language I've heard from a FA. I have heard a couple of other FA's pre-warn the plane over the PA that if they think they can just bring tons of food onboard to keep their mask off the whole time, that will not be acceptable. But never that you'll be fined if you take off your mask instead of lower it.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

FAs are the ones who are the front line and dealing with mask violations. Mask mandate is an executive order (I think), but UA policy was to mandate mask except when eating or drinking even prior to that...not much longer after it became pretty well established that masking prevents spread.

I have never heard or seen anything like this (only lowering...not taken off), however, UAs policy (at least now...not sure if it was always worded this way) is that masks must be worn unless actively eating and drinking, and when you check in, you have already agreed to that, specifically even to have your mask on 'between sips and bites'. Sips and bites is exact wording....because I remember being surprised to be reading that specifically when I started flying a bit again in the fall. I suspect this FA was probably extrapolating from that, since its presumably easier to try and enforce this way. I have never heard or seen anything about taking off vs. lowering. I also have not really seen enforcement of the 'between sips and bites' part, though I'll admit only to being on a handful of flights, and every FA is going to be a bit different, and I suspect many are not following that part so strictly.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is “no removing masks to eat and drink, you can only lower them ” an FAA rule?
No it's not a rule. The TSA Reg says you do not have to wear a mask while eating or drinking but must replace it between bites and sips.

I've got around 100 segments on various carriers this year and that's the most ridiculously aggressive interpretation I've heard of by far. There's simply no excuse for FAs playing petty tyrant.
halls120 and Hawkeyefan like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
For what its worth, I think it is highly unlikely that those that take their mask off entirely are following the "replacing it between bites"-type rule or putting it on while chewing rule. It seems very unlikely there are many who take it off, take a bite, put it back on, chew, swallow, repeat. That sort of procedure is much more realistic with the mask lower and raise procedure. But I'm usually a naughty cow who will remove my mask completely, shove roughly half the food down my throat quickly, replace mask, digest a bit, and then do the same with the other half of the meal... Bad form I know...
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by A Little Cow
But I'm usually a naughty cow who will remove my mask completely, shove roughly half the food down my throat quickly, replace mask, digest a bit, and then do the same with the other half of the meal... Bad form I know...
I am even more "naughty" I'd remove the mask completely for the entire meal, for every one of my 122 flights this year. I just don't like the constant mask on mask off movements. No FAs have ever said a thing to me. I am also a fast eater, 5 minutes or less, usually.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:29 pm

Florida Man wearing thong underwear as a face mask on UA flight, FLL

https://www.rawstory.com/man-forced-...-as-face-mask/

Of course this happened in Floriduh... a flight from FLL to DCA (?) Passenger claimed he had previously worn women's thong underwear as a face mask on other flights.

He compared himself to Rosa Parks (no kidding) -- https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1977576.html

He plans to fly on Spirit Airways instead, which he hopes/believes will be more accommodating than UA. Good luck with that one!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully it was a clean pair.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
You had me at “Florida Man”
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

Wonder if the FA was trying to be pro-active, smoking out trouble-makers ahead of time? How did things go on the flight? Was it as draconian as the message indicated?

It can't be much fun being an FA right now, and thinking about the latest & greatest mutation and that you're the mutation's
primary means of spreading from one geographical area to another. And for domestic flights, there is no pre-selection that would reduce the likelihood of a passenger having Covid or not.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Wonder if the FA was trying to be pro-active, smoking out trouble-makers ahead of time? How did things go on the flight? Was it as draconian as the message indicated?

It can't be much fun being an FA right now, and thinking about the latest & greatest mutation and that you're the mutation's
primary means of spreading from one geographical area to another. And for domestic flights, there is no pre-selection that would reduce the likelihood of a passenger having Covid or not.
I didn't see any suspected troublemakers and the flight went fine and there were no enforcement issues.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I didn't see any suspected troublemakers and the flight went fine and there were no enforcement issues.
If the announcement was at the beginning of the flight, not the meal, then maybe it worked! :-)
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
He has been banned for life
https://www.thedailybeast.com/adam-j...a=twitter_page

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 17, 2021 at 12:10 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
No doubt a prize from whatever club he was at the night before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.