Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Aren't there reports of DL FAs walking down the aisle with a sign informing passengers to put their masks on?
Like this post in the DL forum?
"Next, FA's came down the aisles with a plastic covered poster reminding all to mask-up."

There's Delta has put 240 people on ‘no fly list’ for not wearing masks, DL has been in the vanguard of publicizing the number of passengers put on their no fly list.

As stated earlier there have been a full range of experiences of all domestic carriers -- very crew dependent

BUT let's focus on UA here
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Aren't there reports of DL FAs walking down the aisle with a sign informing passengers to put their masks on?
Right, I was referring specifically to during food/beverage service. As far as I've seen, UA is the only airline policing this to any level.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
So it must be true.
It is in TSA Security Directive 1542-21-01A. The security directive was issued by the TSA under authority granted under 49 U.S.C. 114 and 44903; 49 CFR 1542.303.

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi...542-21-01a.pdf

The "between bites and sips" language comes from paragraph C.D.2 on page 3 of the pdf file.

The current security directive expires on September 13, 2021.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2021 at 12:30 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
I actually do put my mask on between sips. Not always between bites--it depends how long it is between bites. No one else knows my vaccination status and I don't know theirs. I feel safer (and am safer) when the rules are followed and, when necessary, enforced. (Yes, I recognize it can be challenging in some circumstances, such as with two year olds.)
dorisrpas likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It is in TSA Security Directive 1542-21-01A. The security directive was issued by the TSA under authority granted under 49 U.S.C. 114 and 44903; 49 CFR 1542.303.

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fi...542-21-01a.pdf

The "between bites and sips" language comes from paragraph C.D.2 on page 3 of the pdf file.

The current security directive expires on September 13, 2021.
Agreed. But that is a Federal directive, not a Federal law.

David
J_Stroming likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Makes no difference in practice. It is a Federal requirement with which the airlines must comply. The authority under which the TSA issued the directive is granted by US regulation (CFR) and law (USC). The requirement to issue it came from the President's January 20 Executive Order.

For this to change prior to September 13, action must come from Congress or the President. Let your voices be heard by your elected representatives whether you are in favor of early termination, extension beyond September, or maintaining the status quo. No one with an airline ID badge can do a thing about it.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

David
Federal law requires airlines and you to follow the Federal directive.

So in reality, the distinction does not matter.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nnn
Filthy plane, with trash (plastic wrappers, crumbs, etc.) left behind in all four of our first class seats.
United's version of "snacks for later"...so much for UA's vaunted and much trumpeted CleanPlus(TM) "enhanced cleaning protocols"...

David
bocastephen and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
United's version of "snacks for later"...so much for UA's vaunted and much trumpeted CleanPlus(TM) "enhanced cleaning protocols"...

David
CleanPlus(TM) is basically Safety Theater designed to placate the Germphobics who still want to travel. You won’t get covid from soiled carpets of crushed biscotti or goldfish but you’ll get that cheap feeling deep down inside.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
CleanPlus(TM) is basically Safety Theater designed to placate the Germphobics who still want to travel. You won’t get covid from soiled carpets of crushed biscotti or goldfish but you’ll get that cheap feeling deep down inside.
!!!

When there are crushed pretzels on the seat and carpet, that's a pretty good indication they didn't wipe down the tray table either. I'm not too worried about catching covid from a surface (or really anywhere post-vax), but I still don't appreciate paying to sit amidst the previous passenger's garbage. The fact that UA still markets based on "CleanPlus" is just salt in the wound.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Not only is it hype that accomplishes nothing to preserve your health, I don't believe that they actually have any enforced cleaning standards. Enforced, as in a manager inspects the cleaning crew's work before allowing boarding. In retrospect, the planes have been no cleaner during the pandemic than they were previously. I find sticky gunk or food residue on the tray tables, seats or seat pockets nearly every flight. If there were any actual standards, it seems unlikely that every plane I flew would be dirty.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Not only is it hype that accomplishes nothing to preserve your health, I don't believe that they actually have any enforced cleaning standards. Enforced, as in a manager inspects the cleaning crew's work before allowing boarding. In retrospect, the planes have been no cleaner during the pandemic than they were previously. I find sticky gunk or food residue on the tray tables, seats or seat pockets nearly every flight. If there were any actual standards, it seems unlikely that every plane I flew would be dirty.
There were never standards before, or during this crisis - everything was nonsensical marketing hype. The seats were filthy before, and are just as filthy today. For years in Business First and then Polaris, I was constantly finding traces of days or weeks-old food debris, hair, and all kinds of detritus and clutter. This is why I started bringing my own wipes on board and taking charge of cleaning my own seats.

All United cares about are turn-around times, and all the cleaners care about is doing the absolutely fastest job with the least amount of work possible....and as someone who during my prior work as a gate agent had to clean my own 727s during turn-arounds while wearing a suit, usually by myself, I do have some sympathy for them.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The seats were filthy before, and are just as filthy today.
I'll argue that they're cleaner today, simply because they've turned self-loading cargo into self-cleaning cargo by handing out wipes at boarding. I know I wipe my entire seat down much more thoroughly than I ever did before. Granted, I don't have a vacuum to pick up filth, but at least there's been some wipe of mild alcohol on hard surfaces. That's surely more than normal times.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I'll argue that they're cleaner today, simply because they've turned self-loading cargo into self-cleaning cargo by handing out wipes at boarding.
LoL I sure cleaned the tray table for them today. It had stains. I had to use three of my own wipes to get it all clean.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
LoL I sure cleaned the tray table for them today. It had stains. I had to use three of my own wipes to get it all clean.
I find the wipe they give to be nuclear strength.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Aug 12, 2021 at 1:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.