Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Old May 11, 2020, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SS255
It made the NBC Nightly News, as well.
That's United for you - there is no good publicity like bad publicity....take a bad situation and make it worse, while associating it directly to the brand.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Part of the problem with the EWR-SFO/LAX flights is using 737s for some of the flights:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

If this flight had been a 787 or even 767, the same # of passengers would have been better spaced...
And its the same IAD-SFO as goalie-parents are flying this coming Wednesday (May 13th) and the only non-stop flight on that day is at 17:45 and its a 319
Old May 11, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexdevil
The polls (at least as reported on the blog) seem very blunt in asking people to choose between a binary open and closed. I think most people's views are a lot more nuanced than that, even those who are most anxious to reopen.

Also would be interesting to know if anyone refused to fly on the flight that was tweeted. Apparently even the doctor that tweeted this thought the risk-reward benefit of being on a full flight was worth it.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I'm flying LGA-IAD-MCO (cuz there is no nonstop) on Thursday for travel as essential as it gets. I have all the gear so will survive, but will be annoyed if UA fills the middle seats. After all these years do they not know how to tie their shoe shoe laces? Idiots.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's United for you - there is no good publicity like bad publicity....take a bad situation and make it worse, while associating it directly to the brand.
For the record ... UA was not the lead example, believe that was AA, and others were mentioned F9, NK, forget who else ... and the NBC report was less hysteric (such as mentioning that these cases were not the norm) than some of the earlier published reports
Old May 11, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The nightly news finally made it to Hawaii - it should be noted it was not a UA specific segment - they showed a AA flight from today, Spirit Airlines, a airport check in area, etc. They also showed a graphic that middle seat blocking will do nothing for you - a cough will travel 2 rows forward and backward and across the plane. UA also clarified their position - saying blocking is the wrong word, they will restrict the advance seat selection - that's all. UA was a small part of the segment
st3 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
And its the same IAD-SFO as goalie-parents are flying this coming Wednesday (May 13th) and the only non-stop flight on that day is at 17:45 and its a 319
Kirby smallball at its finest. Smisek would be proud.

Next bailout should specify only WBs between hubs. Better yet, no Kirby or no bailout.

Heres the chance to win over the flying public to increase confidence and they pull a Dao.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The news going around the world now:

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...nes-flight-big
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You don't have to make it up for UA any longer.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:12 am

I might be in the minority - but I find it ridiculous as a taxpayer that middle seats would be blocked for any airline given a cough will spread multiple rows and seats. This notion of flying massive widebodies and packing even more people that costs more money to fly that plane just makes no sense to me either.

I just don't see as taxpayers we can afford to fly half empty planes around the US.

I really don't get it - do people think blocked middles helps anyone and we as taxpayers should bear that cost?
st3 likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
This is the part that actually made me snort out loud. Yeah, I'll be holding my breath waiting for that call...

narvik likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
This is the part that actually made me snort out loud. Yeah, I'll be holding my breath waiting for that call...

What's wrong with that? Are the other airlines doing this?
Old May 12, 2020, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You need to re-read the article. UA said "we'll do this", then didn't. That's the point.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What's wrong with that? Are the other airlines doing this?
Well, let's use DL as an example. They said they were going to block all middle seats (as UA also said), and are actually doing it (unlike UA).

So DL doesn't need to monitor the loads on each flight operating and then call each pax to see if they have "concerns" and want to book different flights.

And if you actually think that UA is going to be calling every pax when their flight reaches 71%, I've got a bridge for sale..
blueman2 likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You need to re-read the article. UA said "we'll do this", then didn't. That's the point.
What didn't they do? They blocked the middle seats for advance seat assignments. They never said they guaranteed a middle wouldn't be occupied. As a taxpayer - I'd be very annoyed they aren't filling the plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.