Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RedElmo
LoL I sure cleaned the tray table for them today. It had stains. I had to use three of my own wipes to get it all clean.
"If you want something done right, do it yourself."
SPN Lifer and aero219 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)

This gift was waiting for me on my ‘cleaned’ seat last week
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Dude, you drink LifeWtr?

I mean, at least it looks like a spent alcohol wipe.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aero219
Dude, you drink LifeWtr?
Perhaps that was also left behind by the previous customer...
Old Aug 13, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I find the wipe they give to be nuclear strength.
Don't let the scent fool you into thinking it works just as hard (I don't honestly know the efficacy of the wipes but I'm sure it's high...just like the smell).

-RM
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I'll argue that they're cleaner today, simply because they've turned self-loading cargo into self-cleaning cargo by handing out wipes at boarding. I know I wipe my entire seat down much more thoroughly than I ever did before. Granted, I don't have a vacuum to pick up filth, but at least there's been some wipe of mild alcohol on hard surfaces. That's surely more than normal times.
They were cleaner for a brief few months when no one was flying, but by September of last year I was back to playing "find the nut" (almonds, now) on my flights.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and dmurphynj like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MM
I still do my own cleaning theatre--wiping down everything I might touch. It may not do anything about Covid, but I clean out a lot of crap.

Last edited by lancelot21; Aug 13, 2021 at 7:33 pm
Old Aug 13, 2021, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yea, I'm not wiping down for COVID given the CDC guidance on fomites, I'm wiping down for everything else I've caught on a plane.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I don't wipe down anything, especially not the seat. Let's face it, my clothing isn't exactly any more or less sanitized, considering the number of other public places I would normally frequent and/or sit in. After 100+ flights during the past 12 months, a quick shower after getting back home or at the hotel does the trick for me.

For the record, my hands don't touch any part of my body when I eat/drink.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I’ll usually wipe down the armrests/consoles, headrest, window shade pull, air nozzle, touchscreen,
recline control/screen, etc. basically anything I’m likely to be touching inflight with my hands or that I’m going to be resting my devices etc. on.. I don’t wipe down the seat itself, that seems like overkill.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I was one of the germaphobes people snickered at that cleaned any touch surface before I sat down prior to COVID. Now I'm just one of the crowd I will continue to do it after COVID is a distant memory. Doing ~150K miles a year it just made me feel more protected from what was there before I boarded and during the flight. Despite airline claims to the contrary, planes are tough to keep disinfected with the amount of traffic they see.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Not primarily for Covid, but I'll sometimes wipe down surfaces (not the seat though) on longer flights with a meal service, or when in a lie-flat seat where there's more surfaces that I'll be touching, placing devices on, etc. I don't really bother otherwise.

As a result, one of my bags is beginning to overflow with unopened packets of alcohol wipes.
Xyzzy, opusx100 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I was one of the germaphobes people snickered at that cleaned any touch surface before I sat down prior to COVID. Now I'm just one of the crowd I will continue to do it after COVID is a distant memory. Doing ~150K miles a year it just made me feel more protected from what was there before I boarded and during the flight. Despite airline claims to the contrary, planes are tough to keep disinfected with the amount of traffic they see.
Yeah, I recall flying in January 2020 and my seatmate wiping down everything, first saying, "Sorry," as if I might be offended.

Now I use the wipe on every possible surface I might touch.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lancelot21
I still do my own cleaning theatre--wiping down everything I might touch. It may not do anything about Covid, but I clean out a lot of crap.
... exactly! Which is why we're all "self cleaning cargo"... I don't know what (if anything) it accomplishes, but SZo yes -honestly, just your actions with wiping that moist towelette across a few surfaces is a deeper cleaning than the plane gets most days.

I think it's a lot more common now than it was previously ... I mean, they practically stick the wipe in your hand when boarding. So why not? Gives me something to do while I'm missing my PDB.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by econ
As a result, one of my bags is beginning to overflow with unopened packets of alcohol wipes.
I think I now have UA alcohol wipes in nearly every pocket f every bag and jacket I own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.