Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: 1MM*G, 1K
Business Class Seat Blocking experience

Hi, has anyone information on the business class seat blocking ? Two of us will be flying (family issues) and we cannot select seats next to each other. If United backfills, then we will be sitting with strangers, rather than side by side together. Thanks.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:10 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by malgudi
Except that they did guarantee such a thing:

https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss/stat...824385/photo/2​​​​​​
I got the same email, I too can post a screenshot of it to my twitter but that is beside the point. The link I included, which is in that email, spells out the policy in greater depth.

Here is a post from OMAAT that was shared in here when the news broke on the 22nd or whenever it was. https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...stancing-sham/
Old May 12, 2020, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
The title of the thread should clarify that United is not mandating the use of masks. Tens of thousands of lives in the US could have been saved if the country was more aggressive in the use of masks. Who is coughing in the grocery store? One of the few not wearing a mask! Simple measures could have saved the economy. If I have to fly it will be on an airline that mandates that passengers must wear masks. If a person has an active cough, they should not be permitted on the flight. On a United flight last year I took a screen shot of the upgrade list to document the coughing passenger in the event of litigation. The person was coughing without even trying to cover her mouth. How many times have you gotten a cold or the flu after a flight?
I've had a sinus condition for years. I cough frequently. That doesn't mean I have or had Covid19. That's not nearly as stupid as United packing them in like sardines.

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I flew United yesterday from IAH-DEN and every seat on the plane was occupied. Part of it seemed to be that about 20-30 standbys were cleared at the gate.

The flight mostly went well although upon landing I saw at least five people just in my immediate area pull their masks down, exposing their noses and mouths. It might be good for United to remind everyone to keep masks on through the deplaning process.

The DEN airport seemed fairly busy and I was surprised by how many people there were not wearing masks, including airport workers.
Did they offer you water in flight?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2020 at 4:43 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 12, 2020, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Originally Posted by goalie
As an example...

goalie-parents are finally flying home PBI-IAD-SFO tomorrow (May, 13th) after pushing their trip from April 15th. The equipment on the only non-stop IAD-SFO is a 319. If goalie-parents are notified that their IAD-SFO flight is more than 70% full and want to take a different flight to fly home, the only non-stop option IAD SFO is the same flight on subsequent days but the small equipment still exists and they could still be met with the same problem the next day, the day after that, the day after that and so on...

My solution: Just fly a larger aircraft and actually block and not sell middle seats. Yes, it might not be economically efficient for UA but UA needs to suck it up during these trying times the same as many of us are

*goalie-parents were originally non-stop FLL-SFO and that got axed and the best option was via IAD (n.b. they are not flying via EWR or IAH as that is, imho, not COVID-smart)
however, fly a larger plane at a loss of say $100k or fly the right size plane at a loss of $1k. Regardless of the situation, any one of us all know what the right action would be so long as there is no operational safety concern or legal limitation.
Or fly the right size plane to show that they are doing their best to have as best as they can social distancing as a single daily non-stop IAD-SFO using a 319 is not the right size plane
Old May 12, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per this link there seem to be only two carriers (AS and DL) not selling middle seats:
Not that I agree with UA and the rest of the industry, though.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/airli...cing-policies/
Old May 12, 2020, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
As an example...

goalie-parents are finally flying home PBI-IAD-SFO tomorrow (May, 13th) after pushing their trip from April 15th. The equipment on the only non-stop IAD-SFO is a 319. If goalie-parents are notified that their IAD-SFO flight is more than 70% full and want to take a different flight to fly home, the only non-stop option IAD SFO is the same flight on subsequent days but the small equipment still exists and they could still be met with the same problem the next day, the day after that, the day after that and so on...

My solution: Just fly a larger aircraft and actually block and not sell middle seats. Yes, it might not be economically efficient for UA but UA needs to suck it up during these trying times the same as many of us are

*goalie-parents were originally non-stop FLL-SFO and that got axed and the best option was via IAD (n.b. they are not flying via EWR or IAH as that is, imho, not COVID-smart)
I don't quite understand your desire to fly via IAD rather than IAH which would seem much smarter, unless the equipment is the issue. I thought UA was flying a 787 on the SFO run last time I checked which admittedily was before the March crisis.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Such liars. Thought they kept sending emails saying were keeping middle seats empty. Airlines lie. Said they were keeping middle seats empty and do everything to protect passengers. . Blah blah blah. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/05...united-flight/ .
No, they didn't. They said middle seats could not be selected at booking - nothing about what happens after that leading up to departure. It even says "we cannot guarantee that all customers will be seated next to an unoccupied seat."
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Here's UA's hub's new language:

David
Old May 12, 2020, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
I don't quite understand your desire to fly via IAD rather than IAH which would seem much smarter, unless the equipment is the issue. I thought UA was flying a 787 on the SFO run last time I checked which admittedily was before the March crisis.
goalie-dad is 88 and goalie-mom is 87 and Texas has re-opened is one reason. The nonstop flight PBI-IAH got COVID’ed is another reason. Driving to FLL for an IAH conx is another reason as that just adds to an already long day but Texas is still out of the question. And as an aside, when I rebooked them from the COVID-canceled FLL-SFO nonstop, the IAD conx was on a 777 bit of course that and all but one of the daily IAD-SFO nonstops also got COVID’ed
Old May 12, 2020, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
UA doesn't need to make anyone feel comfortable to sell seats. Every flight that I've been on in the last week has been full.
Your flights are virtually the only flights.
And, if you are to believe the news media, the biggest threat to humanity isn't a deadly new virus but global warming/climate change, and wasting fuel flying a much larger plane than needed just wastefully increases the carbon footprint of each pax. Throwing away fuel with no quantifiable benefit other than making people feel better is silly.
We got 95% of all fleets worldwide grounded already mwahahahahah. The remaining few can be Dreamliners with more proper spacing.

Seriously, you don’t help your point with such rhetoric . Every news media is 24/7 pandemic. And by defying CDC guidelines UA is pulling a Dao. Don’t they want customers to eventually come back with confidence?
spin88 and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Here's UA's hub's new language:

David
Not even close to good enough. They better not receive another dime of taxpayer money.
spin88 and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Your flights are virtually the only flights.

We got 95% of all fleets worldwide grounded already mwahahahahah. The remaining few can be Dreamliners with more proper spacing.

Seriously, you don’t help your point with such silliness. Every news media is 24/7 pandemic. And by defying CDC guidelines UA is pulling a Dao. Don’t they want customers to eventually come back with confidence?
Nope. I would not go back to flying United unfortunately. Too many negative observations these past few months. I’ve disagreed with everything they did. Ranging from 25 hour changes down to 6 hours to lying about keeping passengers safe. The list goes on from before the pandemic. No other airline has so much collective negativity combined.
blueman2 and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Nope. I would not go back to flying United unfortunately. Too many negative observations these past few months. I’ve disagreed with everything they did. Ranging from 25 hour changes down to 6 hours to lying about keeping passengers safe. The list goes on from before the pandemic. No other airline has so much collective negativity combined.
The safety thing is a huge red line. I don’t agree with the cash grabs but I sort of get why they are being smarmy.

Safety is non-negotiable.
blueman2 and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by gaume
Hi, has anyone information on the business class seat blocking ? Two of us will be flying (family issues) and we cannot select seats next to each other. If United backfills, then we will be sitting with strangers, rather than side by side together. Thanks.
You should be able to call and get seats next to each other.
Old May 13, 2020, 12:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
... And by defying CDC guidelines ...
What air carrier isn't "defying" CDC guidelines?
jsloan and st3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.