Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
If people were avoiding United due to its social distancing policies, the planes wouldn't be crowded in the first place.
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded!"
iluv2fly, jsloan and Rock214 like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
If people were avoiding United due to its social distancing policies, the planes wouldn't be crowded in the first place.
I guess they’re back to normal now. No more bailouts, and they better not see a need to lay off anyone come October given how full they are.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I guess they’re back to normal now. No more bailouts, and they better not see a need to lay off anyone come October given how full they are.
Considering that they're running 10% of their originally scheduled capacity, it's possible for flights to be full and for them still to be losing money precipitously at their current scale.
st3 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium
Mask policies are going to be in place for at least a year, more likely two years. If you won't fly because of mask policies, it's going to be an awfully long time before you fly.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Considering that they're running 10% of their originally scheduled capacity, it's possible for flights to be full and for them still to be losing money precipitously at their current scale.
So saying “look at the full planes!” Is specious. They’re only that way because UA is valuing things other than passenger and employee safety right now.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Irish93DCA
Mask policies are going to be in place for at least a year, more likely two years. If you won't fly because of mask policies, it's going to be an awfully long time before you fly.
The mask policy needs to be absolute - if some jerk shows up and refuses to wear a mask before boarding, they should be refused boarding and their ticket invalidated without refund or change options.

The bigger issue is someone who boards with a mask and then refuses to continue wearing it in-flight - the risk of that could create a disturbance during the flight leading to an altercation among passengers. In this case, the FAA needs to step in with a clear policy that defines the use of masks, when masks can be removed, and the penalties for non-compliance.
Irish93DCA likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:40 pm

Both my flights today were full or nearly full. On the IAH - DEN leg, they upgraded the A319 to a 737-900. It was still full. Before they closed the door the Captain got on the PA and announced that if anyone was uncomfortable with the full flight, they could get off and United would get them on a later flight. No one budged. All three airports I passed through today looked like normal Sunday crowds. People traveling today were a mix families and business fliers. Everyone wore a mask. Everyone was patient. And everyone seemed to be happy to get on living again.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mask policies are going to be in place for at least a year, more likely two years.
I sincerely doubt that you, I, or anyone can see one to two years into the future.

If you won't fly because of mask policies, it's going to be an awfully long time before you fly.
So be it.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
So saying “look at the full planes!” Is specious.
Not in the least. OP posited that people are booking away from United due to the fact that they aren't blocking middle seats. If that were true en masse, then UA flights would not be crowded. Some individual travelers, sure, just like some individual travelers are deeply concerned with a slightly wider seat on a 320 as opposed to a 737.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The mask policy needs to be absolute - if some jerk shows up and refuses to wear a mask before boarding, they should be refused boarding and their ticket invalidated without refund or change options.

The bigger issue is someone who boards with a mask and then refuses to continue wearing it in-flight - the risk of that could create a disturbance during the flight leading to an altercation among passengers. In this case, the FAA needs to step in with a clear policy that defines the use of masks, when masks can be removed, and the penalties for non-compliance.
I don't think this can really be enforced, the last thing United wants is people being dragged off one of their planes again like the doctor because they don't want to wear a mask... I would say it should be strongly suggested by in no way mandatory, just can create too many headaches
Old May 17, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
UA 653: I been looking to either taking a risk of a non-stop SFO-IAD full flight or switch to 1 stop with any other airline and hope for a 6 feet clearance...

As of now, the last 5 days fly are near or at capacity ... tell me that they are very care of their customers

-T-
Old May 17, 2020, 2:25 pm

It tells me a lot of their customers are willing to make their own decisions about whether or not they want to fly, and at least an airplane full do. What a concept.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
From what I've heard, domestic load factors are still under 40% overall and 35-40 flights per day are being up-gauged to larger aircraft to help maintain the empty seats on flights that are booked higher.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by whitethunder
I don't think this can really be enforced, the last thing United wants is people being dragged off one of their planes again like the doctor because they don't want to wear a mask... I would say it should be strongly suggested by in no way mandatory, just can create too many headaches
If it's an FAA regulation, it can be enforced because FAA regulations carry the force of civil penalties and this can be accomplished without dragging anyone anywhere - if someone refuses to use a mask before boarding, just deny them boarding until they get a mask, and if they refuse or make a fuss, the ticket is canceled, no recourse.

If it happens while on board, the recourse is with the FAA who can assess a fine of $10,000 along with a 12 month ban on commercial flying - their information gets sent to the FAA who then handles enforcement after the fact. While on board, the crew can just hand them an information card that details what the FAA will be doing to them after arrival.

This shouldn't be any different than someone lighting up in the lavatory or fondling their seatmate.
dorisrpas likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If it's an FAA regulation ....
But it isn't and there seems to be some debate as to if it can be required by FAA. And including it in the FARs would take time.
whitethunder and Rock214 like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
One option is to get the industrial N95 with a valve. They are not for medical use, but many people are wearing them because they don't know better. You can exhale unimpeded through the valve, so you only are impeded on inhalation. Clearly I am being sarcastic, but I saw many people wearing these on my recent flight, and the flight attendant had no idea they were not designed to prevent infection.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...5-15208241.php
"While standard N95 respirators, when worn properly, can reduce the wearer’s exposure to 95% of airborne particles and protect those around them from potentially infected coughs, sneezes and other respiratory droplets; N95 respirators with a built-in exhalation valve — or one-way vent — pose a potentially serious issue.
While these types of masks protect the wearer, they do not protect others from a potentially infected cough or sneeze due to their ability to release large respiratory droplets into the air."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.