Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by malgudi

Chief Customer Officer said "We're automatically blocking middle seats to give you enough space on board"
And you believed it? After all of the crap that UA has pulled? I don't believe anything being announced to the public by anyone. It's far easier to go through life expecting less and planning with that in mind. You will be better prepared for anything.

My point is that these guys were acting like prima donnas. Those of us who have been flying for the last few weeks already knew they weren't blocking middle seats, it was no big surprise. I guess I should've posted here about the big betrayal and let everyone know! The problem is that these bozos felt entitled to empty middles (which, of course, makes no difference as far as virus transmission is concerned) and that other's needs to fly were less important than theirs.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Made it to Fox News:
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/docto...sengers-scared

"Doctor flying with United Airlines shares photo of packed flight, says passengers were 'scared,' 'shocked'"
Old May 11, 2020, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
And you believed it? After all of the crap that UA has pulled? I don't believe anything being announced to the public by anyone. It's far easier to go through life expecting less and planning with that in mind. You will be better prepared for anything.

My point is that these guys were acting like prima donnas. Those of us who have been flying for the last few weeks already knew they weren't blocking middle seats, it was no big surprise. I guess I should've posted here about the big betrayal and let everyone know! The problem is that these bozos felt entitled to empty middles (which, of course, makes no difference as far as virus transmission is concerned) and that other's needs to fly were less important than theirs.
That's not really the point though - United deliberately lied, and yes, those customers - not bozos - felt entitled to an empty middle seat because that is what United promised them. Now we can just wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit that once again, United brought on itself through mind-numbingly stupid behavior driven by incompetent management.

Let's look at Delta - and how they have communicated through authenticity and transparency throughout this entire mess, whether you like their changes or not. Look how they promised an empty middle seat and have delivered just what they promised. Is it really so difficult for a company to not behave like a jackass? It seems anywhere we find a Baldanza minion, at United or American, the result is a total organizational and quality mess and a very hostile relationship with employees and customers.

United's behavior shows nothing less than total contempt for customers and a view that we are all stupid and just need to sit down, shut up and not ask for, or expect anything. Frankly, I am tired of it and I genuinely hope United is sued over this, they deserve it.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Let's look at Delta - and how they have communicated through authenticity and transparency throughout this entire mess, whether you like their changes or not. Look how they promised an empty middle seat and have delivered just what they promised.
Sure, I'll look at Delta.

They started out with exactly the same program as United, and were exactly as "transparent." Then, they went back and revised their policy, in much the same way that I suspect UA will need to do.

It's possible to talk about United without being blind to the failures of other companies in the industry.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
That's not really the point though - United deliberately lied, and yes, those customers - not bozos - felt entitled to an empty middle seat because that is what United promised them. Now we can just wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit that once again, United brought on itself through mind-numbingly stupid behavior driven by incompetent management.
The minute that I read that UA was supposedly leaving middles open, I said to myself, "No way." I haven't flown DL in a few months so I don't know what they have been doing, and honestly don't care because an open middle makes no difference to me but, how is DL handling misconnects and overbooking? Are they actually turning people away to keep the middles open?
Old May 11, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
The minute that I read that UA was supposedly leaving middles open, I said to myself, "No way." I haven't flown DL in a few months so I don't know what they have been doing, and honestly don't care because an open middle makes no difference to me but, how is DL handling misconnects and overbooking? Are they actually turning people away to keep the middles open?
yes. They have reduced bookable capacity. Flight is sold out with all middles open
Old May 11, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bubbashow
yes. They have reduced bookable capacity. Flight is sold out with all middles open
Wherein they just set themselves up for somebody else to complain, "DL stranded me in the ATL airport for four days, even though there were plenty of flights with empty seats." There are no easy answers here.
username and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Wherein they just set themselves up for somebody else to complain, "DL stranded me in the ATL airport for four days, even though there were plenty of flights with empty seats." There are no easy answers here.
Almost no one is going to have sympathy for that argument right now - if Delta stated they are blocking middle seats and actually do so, there is nothing to complain about.
blueman2, Halo117 and 84fiero like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost no one is going to have sympathy for that argument right now - if Delta stated they are blocking middle seats and actually do so, there is nothing to complain about.
I suspect approximately half the country would have sympathy for that argument right now, given how political nearly everything has become. Particularly if it's followed up with "and I missed <a major life event> as a result."
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Kirby takes over and already pulls another Dao. They should know better than to defy social distancing Guidance like they did. Jaw dropping idiocy by UA.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:39 pm

Part of the problem with the EWR-SFO/LAX flights is using 737s for some of the flights:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

If this flight had been a 787 or even 767, the same # of passengers would have been better spaced...
Old May 11, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Kirby takes over and already pulls another Dao. They should know better than to defy social distancing Guidance like they did. Jaw dropping idiocy by UA.
Yup, I will break my policy of just not caring about United to post on this. Complete mind blowing stupidity. Actually criminal negligence. Trust me, someone gets sick, United is going to get sued the likes of which you have never seen.

People are affraid to fly. Airlines promise "no middle seats" filled. People buy tickets based upon this promise. United is flying cramped little 737s with their 17" seats on SFO-EWR and so they just pack them into middle seats.

The number of people who are not under any circumstances going to fly United just went up by a lot. The loss in business due to this is going to swamp any extra "revenue" united gets.

Made the Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ge%2Fstory-ans

And it really ought to be top of the hour story. United puts $$$$ over human safety, yet again.

I can tell you, I have three trips I need to take end of the month, you can bet your sweet bibby I am not going to take United's diseased service. Not in any way, shape, or form, the way to convince Americans to fly again.

and P.s. I say this as the one on this board who back in February was predicting all of this is going to happen. United may have just bankrupted itself.

"
Old May 11, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect approximately half the country would have sympathy for that argument right now, given how political nearly everything has become. Particularly if it's followed up with "and I missed <a major life event> as a result."
The polls don't bear this out.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-pre-pandemic/
Old May 11, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Part of the problem with the EWR-SFO/LAX flights is using 737s for some of the flights:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

If this flight had been a 787 or even 767, the same # of passengers would have been better spaced...
Exactly, and plenty of spares are available. 788 might be the right option. No excuse. Connecting their two most important hubs no less.

Stonewalling refunds and now defying CDC social distancing recommendations. Kirby the borderline criminal is off to quite the CEO start!
spin88 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
It made the NBC Nightly News, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.