Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
Well, IMHO, you are not going to be flying for a long while! I truly expect that masks will become mandatory in public spaces and certainly on airplanes here in the US. It's inevitable...
They are already mandated in several states including PA and NY. I'd assume that would extend to airlines. Canada mandates all airline travelers to wear a mask as well.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Halo117
What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT.
Oh, come on, that's ridiculous. While it is true that a flight being full doesn't guarantee that it's profitable, surely it's obvious that a flight being empty guarantees that it's not.

Originally Posted by Halo117
My complaint is touting safety only to cram them in by consolidating flights to high load factors. This will be a problem going forward and no vaccine. Save the lip service and give me my snackbox.
This is what is known as "marketing." You surely cannot expect United to tell the truth, which is that nothing they do is going to make a material difference in people's safety.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
"Social distancing" seat map confusion

Ran into an odd one tonight. Looking at flight #372 HNL-SFO for May 28. The seat map on the App shows 0 FC seats available for sale or assignment. The desk top version on ua.com shows 0 for sale but 11 available to assign. Called the 1K desk and they verified 0 for sale but saw the 11 available for assignment. The agent didn't know what to make of it. Is it possible this is the beginning of keeping seats open for social distancing? That would make sense, but the seats taken in FC all seem to be bunched (maybe assigned before social distancing went into effect). Thoughts? As a side note, there are a bunch of middle seats in Y that are open to assign.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Ran into an odd one tonight. Looking at flight #372 HNL-SFO for May 28. The seat map on the App shows 0 FC seats available for sale or assignment. The desk top version on ua.com shows 0 for sale but 11 available to assign. Called the 1K desk and they verified 0 for sale but saw the 11 available for assignment. The agent didn't know what to make of it. Is it possible this is the beginning of keeping seats open for social distancing? That would make sense, but the seats taken in FC all seem to be bunched (maybe assigned before social distancing went into effect). Thoughts? As a side note, there are a bunch of middle seats in Y that are open to assign.
Its most likely a flight they dont plan on operating unless they see passenger demand.

Lots of the EWR - SFO/LAX routes with multiple flights per day in May have atleast 1 of said flights showing 0 FC flights for sale. My guess is they dont want to overbook J.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Its most likely a flight they dont plan on operating unless they see passenger demand.

Lots of the EWR - SFO/LAX routes with multiple flights per day in May have atleast 1 of said flights showing 0 FC flights for sale. My guess is they dont want to overbook J.
Ordinarily, I might agree with you but not in this case. There is only 1 flight per day each way to/from Hawaii and the mainland now that UA got approval to discontinue service to all other islands..... this one. I'm leaning to social distancing meets UA IT.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ordinarily, I might agree with you but not in this case. There is only 1 flight per day each way to/from Hawaii and the mainland now that UA got approval to discontinue service to all other islands..... this one. I'm leaning to social distancing meets UA IT.
Do you already have a ticket on this flight, or are you looking to buy one?

UA is not planning to fly the plane half-empty, up front, If that's what you're thinking. The seat blocking could be anything, but the inventory being zeroed out is likely because they consolidated all of their Hawaiian passengers to one plane. It wouldn't surprise me if it were actually oversold up front, as they expect people to cancel. It's just that some people don't have seat assignments yet.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Do you already have a ticket on this flight, or are you looking to buy one?

UA is not planning to fly the plane half-empty, up front, If that's what you're thinking. The seat blocking could be anything, but the inventory being zeroed out is likely because they consolidated all of their Hawaiian passengers to one plane. It wouldn't surprise me if it were actually oversold up front, as they expect people to cancel. It's just that some people don't have seat assignments yet.
I'm currently ticketed on the flight in Y. The ideal for me would be for a light load and snag a row of 3 and stretch out away from other passengers.

Your explanations all make sense. I was just commenting that the App and ua.com seat maps for F are totally different. The App shows 0 seats to select in F while .com shows 11 seats available for selection. Neither has actual F seats available for sale. I've just never seen the seat maps differ between the App & .com
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm currently ticketed on the flight in Y. The ideal for me would be for a light load and snag a row of 3 and stretch out away from other passengers.

Your explanations all make sense. I was just commenting that the App and ua.com seat maps for F are totally different. The App shows 0 seats to select in F while .com shows 11 seats available for selection. Neither has actual F seats available for sale. I've just never seen the seat maps differ between the App & .com
Yeah, I noticed that there are 11 seats blocked on ExpertFlyer if you select the F cabin, but if you select the J cabin, they're empty. I wonder if UA just mis-coded something, and the app is looking up the J seat map whereas the web is using F.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:16 am

Yeah, I noticed that there are 11 seats blocked on ExpertFlyer if you select the F cabin, but if you select the J cabin, they're empty. I wonder if UA just mis-coded something, and the app is looking up the J seat map whereas the web is using F.
Could very well be the case. I just checked via Expert Flyer again and there are 0 F seats showing available now. Must have been a "bad pointer" and they fixed it. Thanks for the insight.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That actually dates back to when they did the JCDZP realignment for domestic F and then had the issue of whether you could select the 3-class F seats on Business fares.
jsloan and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:44 pm

All middle seats blocked on upcoming flight

This is making me feel better about a trip I have to take. LAX-EWR
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like it took them several days to get this fully rolled out, but I think it is now active systemwide.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:06 pm

Yup. Here is the official statement from United when trying to change seat...
Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:46 am

This is a positive step, but I'm not sure it will really lead to much distancing. They are blocking seats only for "advanced selection". If I read that right, once you get to the airport those seats can be assigned if a) a couple/family wants to sit together or b) they sell enough seats that those middle seats are needed.

With the drastic reduction in capacity (in many cases only 1 non-stop between cities where there used to be as many as 5-6) the odds are those seats will be needed. That means a lot of "touch points" between staff and passengers handing out boarding passes and people likely crowding the podium wanting seat assignments.

I applaud their initiative, but I'm concerned the execution might be challenging in meeting real social distancing goals.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I read that right, once you get to the airport those seats can be assigned if a) a couple/family wants to sit together or b) they sell enough seats that those middle seats are needed.
Correct.

the execution might be challenging in meeting real social distancing goals.
It's nothing but theater. The airlines cannot stay in business allocating 28 square feet* of airplane to every passenger. They're reticent to admit this in the current environment, so they're taking these measures as a marketing step. The only way to fly whilst adhering to the CDC distancing guidelines is private.

* r = 3 feet in πr˛
bluedemon211 likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 30, 2020 at 8:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.