Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Debating the value of masks is not appropriate for the UA forum -- we will discuss the UA requirements, enforcement and/or compliance. The value of masks is not UA specific issue (and not airline industry-specific either) and is best discussed elsewhere in a more universal format

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

.22 April UA to provide "Social distancing" by blocking middles from advance seat assignments -- note middles can be assigned for those traveling together or at the gate if needed ... example notice and COVID-19: What we're doing to keep customers and employees safe

20 May 2020 United Launches United CleanPlus: A New Standard of Cleanliness and Safety in Partnership with Clorox and Cleveland Clinic ... (post)
"allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity." is included in the above announvement
Also NSRA not allowed if above 70%

15 June 2020 United Airlines Strengthens Onboard Mask Policy to Further Protect Passengers and Employees Against COVID-19 Spread ... (post)

July 2020 -- appears UA has dropped blocking pre-assignment of middles, still notifying if 70% booked

20 July -- "Traveling is different now, but we're still committed to your safety What to expect when you travel next", e-mail

22 July -- United Extends Mask Requirements to Airports

17 August 2021 -- TSA to extend transportation mask mandate into January (18, 2022)

Print Wikipost

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct.

It's nothing but theater. The airlines cannot stay in business allocating 28 square feet* of airplane to every passenger. They're reticent to admit this in the current environment, so they're taking these measures as a marketing step. The only way to fly whilst adhering to the CDC distancing guidelines is private.

* 3 feet ✖️ πr²
Thanks jsloan, that was my feeling as well. UA needs every $ of revenue they can get right now, so they are not going to turn away a sale in the name of social distancing.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Thanks jsloan, that was my feeling as well. UA needs every $ of revenue they can get right now, so they are not going to turn away a sale in the name of social distancing.
Even a blocked middle seat is only about 20" of space from the nearest passenger. To meet CDC guidelines, UA would need to block nearly 90% of their narrowbody inventory -- basically, you could put two people every three rows, although you might need to stagger them on the 76-seaters.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Dyce
2 things here... United have drastically cut future capacity (May-June) based on current demand. This has resulted in:

1) prices going up - cash or miles
2) loads going up

for example, I’ve continued flying IAH-CMH-IAH during the past few weeks. This route is/was a direct flight 3+ times a day

initially flights were cancelling left, right and center and the flights that did operate had ~10-pax (normally served by a 175)

Eventually we were down to 1 flight most days with 17 passengers on my flight IAH-CMH on Monday.

For my next flight in May there are no direct flights and I’ve been routed through ORD with much higher load on the ORD-IAH flight

this is resulting / will result in less social distancing on planes where several ppl (of the 17 passengers on Monday I counted 5 without masks including a non rev pilot in FC) will have zero common courtesy & respect for others and not wear a face mask...

So, I’m going to start driving it... 17 hours in the car isn’t fun, but at less than $100 each way for gas, and no risk from being in a Petri dish plane of ~75% capacity, to me it’s a better choice.

i think ppl will start freaking out when the flights are over 50% full again (how comfortable would you be sitting next to someone without a mask occasionally coughing for 2 hours?).

i don’t blame the airlines for matching supply to demand, but I think the net result is eventually going to be detrimental to getting ppl flying again this summer.

i predict a LOT of ppl will resort to traditional family road trip vacations to visit relatives in other parts of the country this summer...
With wear and tear on the car, may be closer to $1,000 cost per trip. Depending on duration, a rental car may be better value.

I think we’ll soon have antibody tests. UA requiring masks now, I believe?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
With wear and tear on the car, may be closer to $1,000 cost per trip. Depending on duration, a rental car may be better value.

I think we’ll soon have antibody tests. UA requiring masks now, I believe?
I took an antibody test last Friday and got the results today. It was the Abbot test:

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...body-test.html

UA is requesting that you wear masks during the safety demonstration. They will make them available to passengers in May. Crew are required to wear masks. Passengers are not required to wear them at this time. "VOLUNTARY."
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Not sure what benefit the anti-body test availability gets me as it's still not known whether having antibodies will prevent you from getting it again (one would think it would, but nothing is certain at the moment). I think the implication is if you have the anti-bodies then you're good to resume 'normal living'. I hope so, but time will tell.

And no idea how you're getting close to $1000 in wear & tear on a 1200 mile trip - I'm not doing it in a Veyron!

UA are planning on making masks available to passengers beginning in May - no requirement for ppl to actually wear them.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
With the drastic reduction in capacity (in many cases only 1 non-stop between cities where there used to be as many as 5-6) the odds are those seats will be needed.
No, odds are very strong the seats won't be needed. AFA reports average flight load is 15 passengers per flight.

It's nothing but theater. The airlines cannot stay in business allocating 28 square feet* of airplane to every passenger.
The federal government is subsidizing them to keep flying. They don't need to be profitable right now, they need to keep flying so essential travel can continue. If they can do that more safely, then great.

Even a blocked middle seat is only about 20" of space from the nearest passenger. To meet CDC guidelines, UA would need to block nearly 90% of their narrowbody inventory -- basically, you could put two people every three rows, although you might need to stagger them on the 76-seaters.
These things fall off exponentially -- 6' is a great rule but 3' is better than 0'. (CDC says 6', a lot of EU countries say 1.5m, and WHO says 1m....6' isn't a magical boundary.)

Blocking middle seats on a low-LF flight is not that big of a deal because people wouldn't select middle seats anyway. I guess it opens up E+ to non-elites sooner if E- starts to fill up.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: That’s assuming there is a meal
United requires passengers wear masks effective May 4.

They haven't suggested food stops then.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
United requires passengers wear masks effective May 4.

They haven't suggested food stops then.
on a bright note we are all going to be super skinny.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA to require face coverings for all passengers, effective May 4

Well, it's gone from unthinkable to inevitable to announced: https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ght-attendants

We will also make face coverings mandatory for all travelers and will be providing them for free to our customers starting May 4.

Among US carriers, B6 started this, F9 followed, and UA, AA, and DL all appear to have followed suit today. No end date is listed.

Presented without further comment in an effort to avoid going OMNI.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Well, it's gone from unthinkable to inevitable to announced: https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ght-attendants

Among US carriers, B6 started this, F9 followed, and UA, AA, and DL all appear to have followed suit today. No end date is listed.

Presented without further comment in an effort to avoid going OMNI.
I wear N95s whenever I appear in public now, not for my benefit, but to make others feel better. In my line of work, I am used to working in various kinds of respirators, so it's no big deal to me. I understand that if you are not used to them it can be disconcerting, but it is what it is and you are going to have to knuckle under if you want to fly.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I wear N95s whenever I appear in public now, not for my benefit, but to make others feel better. In my line of work, I am used to working in various kinds of respirators, so it's no big deal to me. I understand that if you are not used to them it can be disconcerting, but it is what it is and you are going to have to knuckle under if you want to fly.
Are N95s advisable for long periods such as flights? I am high risk and I certainly want to be safe but there are reports that a guy passed out after wearing one for awhile while driving.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/driver...ring-n95-mask/
Old May 1, 2020, 4:28 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I wear N95s whenever I appear in public now, not for my benefit, but to make others feel better.
An N95 isn't required for that; any mask will do. The N95 protects you (in design).
Old May 1, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Are N95s advisable for long periods such as flights? I am high risk and I certainly want to be safe but there are reports that a guy passed out after wearing one for awhile while driving.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/24/driver...ring-n95-mask/
Wearing an N95 (or higher) mask should be absolutely fine, particularly if it has a valve (which makes it easier to breathe out).
On flights dating back to January/February 2020 I was on numerous long-haul flights where [almost] everyone was wearing masks (surgical, N95 up to P100) for the duration of the flight (with exception of meal & drink intake), as well as at the airports.

That above article is a bit ridiculous, and I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, how could they possibly know he didn't just fall asleep behind the wheel as has been a common occurrence since the invention of the motor vehicle!

Flying with UA whilst wearing a mask should cause no serious issues, although a slight discomfort may set in, especially if one isn't used to wearing a mask for prolonged periods of time.

A pic showing 50%+ already wearing masks at HKG on February 1st:

Old May 1, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Ari
An N95 isn't required for that; any mask will do. The N95 protects you (in design).
I understand that they're not required, it's just that I have a big stash of them-not because I was hoarding, but because my work involves exposure to silica dust, which can cause silicosis. I honestly find them comfortable but do experience fogging issues when using a face shield or safety goggles.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold
What will happen if pax wear the masks while boarding and then after the plane takes off they remove the mask to drink and eat? Or if someone just takes it off and claims they can't breathe. What will anyone do about that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.