Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Looking for some feedback about this thought process involving deciding to keep my Mileage Plus Select Card,

Current card complement: JPMR, CSR, Amex Plat, MP Select Card.

Plan: Keep JPMR, Amex Plat, MP Select; Ditch CSR (which was obtained for a particular purpose no longer needed)

My continued use of the Select obviously involves some faith that I will find future some value in UA rewards. As this is the card that I have had the longest, I assume that it adds some FICO value. The other additional benefit of the card is that if I am looking for a mileage award, it opens up additional seats.

Right now, the only spend I put on the Select is groceries (2X spend), which along with the 5K anniversary bonus yeilds 20K UA miles per year for an annual fee of $85.

Any thoughts about my plan to keep this card vs whatever the next best alternative might be?

Many thanks.
I'll leave the thoughts to others....except AF on the MileagePlus Select is $95, not $85.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'll leave the thoughts to others....except AF on the MileagePlus Select is $95, not $85.
Thanks, but mine was $85.00 (and, as a legacy account, both my wife and I get the card for this one fee).

Last edited by 747FC; Jan 11, 2020 at 5:24 pm Reason: added info
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Current card complement: JPMR, CSR, Amex Plat, MP Select Card.

Plan: Keep JPMR, Amex Plat, MP Select; Ditch CSR (which was obtained for a particular purpose no longer needed)

My continued use of the Select obviously involves some faith that I will find some future value in UA rewards. As this is the card that I have had the longest, I assume that it adds some FICO value. The other additional benefit of the card is that if I am looking for a mileage award, it opens up additional seats.

Right now, the only spend I put on the Select is groceries (2X spend), which along with the 5K anniversary bonus yeilds 20K UA miles per year for an annual fee of $85.

Any thoughts about my plan to keep this card vs whatever the next best alternative might be? ....
Personally I would ditch the Select card -- will be doing that to the Plat card next month -- it adds no benefits versus status
Then get a no-fee cash back card for groceries or get a Chase card for points convertible to UA miles -- likely to be better off with either.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Personally I would ditch the Select card -- will be doing that to the Plat card next month -- it adds no benefits versus status
Then get a no-fee cash back card for groceries or get a Chase card for points convertible to UA miles -- likely to be better off with either.
My Select 5K bonus just posted Last week. The option to flush oddball mile balances via Choices and viewing the net AF as $45 ($95 - value of 5k miles) has me keeping it at least one more year. 2x miles on groceries, home improvement, and 25% off BOB is minor.

I have decided to drop Club card though when it renews in April.

doesnt preclude getting a different no fee card for general spend.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak
Originally Posted by arshi007
I'm not sure there was ever a card that gave you 10K PQM for 35K spend. The legacy cards (Presidential Plus and Select also had some limits). The MileagePlus Visa Signature (the business version) gave you 10K award miles for 25K in spend but those wouldn't help towards premier qualification.

Also with the new PQP/PQF system, you can get 500 PQP for $12K in spend on the MileagePlus Visa card (for a max of 1000 PQP, and 3000 PQP for the legacy Select) so that's about all.
I have the old United Chase card that gave 10k PQM for spend. The new terms are vague about awarding any PQPs. Has anyone found out?

The card used to say the following:

"Up to 10,000 PQM annually: You’ll receive 5,000 PQM annually during which at least $35,000 is spent, and one additional purchase is made at least one day after you have spent $35,000; you’ll receive up to an additional 5,000 PQM annually at a rate of 1 PQM for each $1 spent on purchases made directly at united.com"

Now it says "Ways to earn bonus miles or PQP • We may offer you ways to earn bonus miles through this program or special promotions. You’ll find out more about the number of bonus miles you can earn and any other terms at the time of the offer. The additional terms will be part of this agreement. • United may offer you ways to earn bonus miles or PQP on purchases made with a card by you or an authorized user of the account. You’ll find out more about the number of bonus miles or PQP you can earn at the time of the offer or within the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus program."
Old Jan 14, 2020, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by mre2b9
I have the old United Chase card that gave 10k PQM for spend. The new terms are vague about awarding any PQPs. Has anyone found out?

The card used to say the following:

"Up to 10,000 PQM annually: You’ll receive 5,000 PQM annually during which at least $35,000 is spent, and one additional purchase is made at least one day after you have spent $35,000; you’ll receive up to an additional 5,000 PQM annually at a rate of 1 PQM for each $1 spent on purchases made directly at united.com"

Now it says "Ways to earn bonus miles or PQP • We may offer you ways to earn bonus miles through this program or special promotions. You’ll find out more about the number of bonus miles you can earn and any other terms at the time of the offer. The additional terms will be part of this agreement. • United may offer you ways to earn bonus miles or PQP on purchases made with a card by you or an authorized user of the account. You’ll find out more about the number of bonus miles or PQP you can earn at the time of the offer or within the terms and conditions of the MileagePlus program."
I have the same card and am totally confused by the last paragraph above. I thought about cancelling the card, but yesterday a miracle is making me reconsider. I was actually able to book a ticket yesterday using the UA Visa Zone Fare voucher!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mre2b9

Your card is the Chase MP "Platinum" card (5K for $35K spend and another 5K for $5k UA.com purchase) and It is hard to do a direct comparison but in some scenarios this a similar (or slightly less) boost in gaining status
mre2b9 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:13 pm

Call to cancel my Plat card, had stopped using in the middle of 2019 but AF was coming up
-- offered a one-time partial AF statement credit -- $60 credit toward the $140
-- was unable to transfer credit line to one of my other credit cards. Appears the Platinum card was a joint account while for "newer" (past 5+ years) cards, my wife is just an authorized user. Chase will not move credit lines unless the accounts are of the same type, which is not longer possible to match the old Platinum card.
-- Asked why I was canceling, answered: Have too many airline miles and the UA miles are not worth accumulating
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Call to cancel my Plat card, had stopped using in the middle of 2019 but AF was coming up
-- offered a one-time partial AF statement credit -- $60 credit toward the $140
-- was unable to transfer credit line to one of my other credit cards. Appears the Platinum card was a joint account while for "newer" (past 5+ years) cards, my wife is just an authorized user. Chase will not move credit lines unless the accounts are of the same type, which is not longer possible to match the old Platinum card.
-- Asked why I was canceling, answered: Have too many airline miles and the UA miles are not worth accumulating
Every time I speak with UA or Chase, I give them similar feedback. Chase United cards aren't worth having for this 1K, and I'd happily get a card if it made sense.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554
Every time I speak with UA or Chase, I give them similar feedback. Chase United cards aren't worth having for this 1K, and I'd happily get a card if it made sense.
To me, these cards always seemed geared toward lower status levels. In years when I'm silver, the benefits are quite useful; as Plat and above, less so.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
-- was unable to transfer credit line to one of my other credit cards. Appears the Platinum card was a joint account while for "newer" (past 5+ years) cards, my wife is just an authorized user. Chase will not move credit lines unless the accounts are of the same type, which is not longer possible to match the old Platinum card....
I encountered this too with my now 15-year Club Card. About 40% of our total credit availability is tied up in this card and Chase won't shift a dime of it.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I encountered this too with my now 15-year Club Card. About 40% of our total credit availability is tied up in this card and Chase won't shift a dime of it.
I had about 30% of our total credit line on the canceled Chase Card (it was from 1988!). I got 1/3 of that back on a non-Chase card (instant online approval of credit line increase) and I have asked Chase to increase the line on another Chase Card -- but had to call to request the Chase increase and they will get back to me

Hope we will get most of it back.

In closing, the cancellation called, I mentioned this was yet another reason to move away from Chase.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
After reading your post, I decided to see if I could transfer credit from my single-owner CSR to my joint-owner JPMR. I met the same fate- I could not transfer the credit.

I do have a large credit line on my CSR, which I plan to cancel in a few months. Is there any real benefit (and what would that benfit be) to transfer this credit line to a no-annual-fee card?

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
After reading your post, I decided to see if I could transfer credit from my single-owner CSR to my joint-owner JPMR. I met the same fate- I could not transfer the credit.

I do have a large credit line on my CSR, which I plan to cancel in a few months. Is there any real benefit (and what would that benfit be) to transfer this credit line to a no-annual-fee card?

Thanks.
Your available credit wouldn’t decrease for purposes of FICO calculation (% of available credit used is a factor).
SPN Lifer and st3 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Suggestions for new United CC? I have MP Select VISA and Pres+ MC

The spend waiver is now gone for the Pres+ MC, and the FPQM have had expiration dates for years now, and i dont think FPQM help now with the new premier requirements

its just so confusing, I really dont think i can justify the fee for the Pres+

I dont think Chase even offers the MP Select any more - so the options are now just the EXPLORER or CLUB card correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.