Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I keep both the Biz Explorer and Explorer. Just took out two new ones for the bigger bonuses each offered.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I have the Explorer card and now that they gutted the PQD waiver, I've gone back to my 2% cashback Fidelity Visa card. If there is a card that does better than that for cash back, I'd consider it. I also have a Discover card that I keep track of the 5% calendar. I know Chase does that, but no Chase card that includes that.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's is the Explorer card, the only other one is the free Gateway card with reduced purchase mileage and fewer benefits
Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

all including PresPlus but the Gateway card can earn a limited amount of PQPs from purchases. https://mileageplusupdates.com/milea...h/cardmembers/
I think this is what you meant to say but I believe that no United Mileage Plus card without an annual fee, including the Gateway card, can earn any PQPs based on spend?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
I think this is what you meant to say but I believe that no United Mileage Plus card without an annual fee, including the Gateway card, can earn any PQPs based on spend?
Are there any no annual fee MP cards other than the Gateway. There was once one years ago, but I thought it had been rolled into the TravelBank card and now Gateway.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:57 pm

Are there any no annual fee MP cards other than the Gateway. There was once one years ago, but I thought it had been rolled into the TravelBank card and now Gateway.
There is mention in the Chase Card section of a Mileage Plus Visa with no annual fee in addition to the Gateway but it may be historical and no longer offered
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This thread seems to indicate that the Gateway is now the only surviving no-annual-fee card offered by United.

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
This thread seems to indicate that the Gateway is now the only surviving no-annual-fee card offered by United.

This is from the current mileage plus page
  • The United GatewaySM Card and United MileagePlus® Card with no annual fee do not earn PQP for card spend.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Pre-2020, The TravelBank card was great in that it was no annual fee, 1.5% back (into TravelBank cash) and spend counted toward the PQD waiver. I used it in combo with the Select on non-bonus categories to hit the waiver and get more back. I think I was in the minority also wanting an option to be rewarded with TB $ vs. miles. Unfortunately, that only lasted a couple of years - still have the gateway but little benefit to me now - no particular reason to get rid of since there is no AF, but no particular reason to really use it. No contest the 1.5x UR points on my Freedom Unlimited is way more valuable than 1.5x MP miles, especially when who knows when we are going to be traveling regularly again.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I have the Explorer card and now that they gutted the PQD waiver, I've gone back to my 2% cashback Fidelity Visa card. If there is a card that does better than that for cash back, I'd consider it. I also have a Discover card that I keep track of the 5% calendar. I know Chase does that, but no Chase card that includes that.
Ive slanted towards cash back the last few years as the simplicity in a single card that offers 2% cash back is better to me than points or miles.

The is the BoA Cash Rewards card that offers 3% in a select category that you can change monthly but capped at $1500/quarter (online shopping, gas, and travel are selectable).

I’ve also used the US Bank Cash+ regularly the last few years for home utility and cell phone payments as it offers two categories of 5% each quarter (ie you can pick the same categories all year, but you still have to choose them each quarter). Not a bad option as I’d imagine cell phone and home utilities can add up for spend, but that is also limited to $1500/quarter. I had two homes though so it made it advantageous to use the card for two water bills, two electric bills etc.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lsquare
Not a very good incentive to get me to put CC spend on UA cards. I think UA will need to improve it to get my attention.

LMAO!!!
UA cards are worthless to me because UA miles are definitely not worth 2 cpm anymore-they're barely worth 1 cpm. On a recent flight for one of my contractors (the only place I use miles right now), a flight in Y that I could buy cash for $127- was 12.5K miles. This is typical, most of the time, and only works if I'm flexible on travel dates and times. If I need somebody to be somewhere time-certain, I've typically been getting only around .7 cpm.

I'm now putting all of my travel spend on a 5.25% cash back card and all of my business non-travel spend on a 2.62% cash back card.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 9, 2021 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by zombietooth
UA cards are worthless to me because UA miles are definitely not worth 2 cpm anymore-they're barely worth 1 cpm. On a recent flight for one my contractors (they only place I use miles right now), a flight in Y that I could buy cash for $127- was 12.5K miles. This is typical, most of the time, and only works if I'm flexible on travel dates and times. If I need somebody to be somewhere time-certain, I've typically been getting only around .7 cpm.

I'm now putting all of my travel spend on a 5.25% cash back card and all of my business non-travel spend on a 2.62% cash back card.
It's an excellent card in an era with massive miles inflation. I'm pretty sure one has to put $100k with BoA to get that rate...
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's an excellent card in an era with massive miles inflation. I'm pretty sure one has to put $100k with BoA to get that rate...
That's true, but your brokerage account balance counts towards the total.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by zombietooth
That's true, but your brokerage account balance counts towards the total.
Hate to ask, but how many fees are associated with such brokerage balance? BoA is not known to provide the best rates of, well, anything.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
Hate to ask, but how many fees are associated with such brokerage balance? BoA is not known to provide the best rates of, well, anything.
0, just make a self directed brokerage account and call your own shots. The downside with the BoA card is the 3% (5.25 with the maximum 75% bonus from platinum honors and higher) is limited to 2500 spend a quarter.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
I manage my own IRA and enjoy $0- stock and ETF trades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.