Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:54 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I used to have the 2% Citi double cash and the Fidelity Visa 2% cash back for most spend
I had a club card paid by employer
I felt at 1.5 miles /$ spend = 2c cash back lost = I was effectively buying UA miles at only 1.4c each

Then the devaluations became worse
Now I have gone to BofA with platinum honors = 2.62% cash back on everything
Even if I get 1.5 miles / $ spend = 2.62/1.5 = 1.75c per mile cost - not worth buying miles in advance by using a card
I would rather get cash back now going forward next few years

If you call Chase, they will downgrade your Reserve to the Freedom Unlimited card 1.5 points per $ spend and you can keep your line
Next year if things change upgrade - pay 550- cash out the points a 1.5c each for travel if you need to.
Originally Posted by 747FC
After reading your post, I decided to see if I could transfer credit from my single-owner CSR to my joint-owner JPMR. I met the same fate- I could not transfer the credit.
I do have a large credit line on my CSR, which I plan to cancel in a few months. Is there any real benefit (and what would that benfit be) to transfer this credit line to a no-annual-fee card? Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2020 at 12:34 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 4, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I finally cancelled my Chase UA Select Card that I've had for nearly 20 years, going back to the time when the annual fee used to be waived in all or in part for 1K members. Over the last couple of years, I only kept the card for the 5000 EQM awarded annually for UA purchases. With that now meaningless and with the massive devaluation of miles, there was no point in paying an annual fee for this card.

It's true that this card awarded more RDM (3/dollar) than other UA credit cards but I've been using a 3% cash back card over the last year and I consider cash way more valuable than UA miles.

Incidentally, it was extremely difficult getting through to Chase over the phone, more so than any other financial institution I've had to contact over the last few weeks. Over the weekend, I was on hold for about an hour before I was disconnected. Today it took about 20 minutes to get through. Had I failed to reach Chase today, I planned to cancel via a secure message. The Chase agent asked me for the reason for the cancellation and made no retention attempt nor try to promote an alternative Chase product. Nor would I have accepted any if offered.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LarryU
I finally cancelled my Chase UA Select Card that I've had for nearly 20 years, going back to the time when the annual fee used to be waived in all or in part for 1K members. Over the last couple of years, I only kept the card for the 5000 EQM awarded annually for UA purchases. With that now meaningless and with the massive devaluation of miles, there was no point in paying an annual fee for this card.

It's true that this card awarded more RDM (3/dollar) than other UA credit cards but I've been using a 3% cash back card over the last year and I consider cash way more valuable than UA miles.

Incidentally, it was extremely difficult getting through to Chase over the phone, more so than any other financial institution I've had to contact over the last few weeks. Over the weekend, I was on hold for about an hour before I was disconnected. Today it took about 20 minutes to get through. Had I failed to reach Chase today, I planned to cancel via a secure message. The Chase agent asked me for the reason for the cancellation and made no retention attempt nor try to promote an alternative Chase product. Nor would I have accepted any if offered.
My Select AF just posted, and I am planning to ask for a downgrade to the travel bank card via Secure Message. I received my final 5000 anniversary RDMs a few months ago.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The 5,000 annual RDM (worth min $50, max ???) and PQP that count for 1K will keep Select in my portfolio. Worst case I’m out $45.

Club Card OTOH, Chase just refused any sort of discount or extension of benefit, so I will look to drop this. Anyone successfully convert Club to Chase Freedom (not unlimited)?
Old May 4, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The 5,000 annual RDM (worth min $50, max ???) and PQP that count for 1K will keep Select in my portfolio. Worst case I’m out $45.

Club Card OTOH, Chase just refused any sort of discount or extension of benefit, so I will look to drop this. Anyone successfully convert Club to Chase Freedom (not unlimited)?
I cut my Club card after 8 years last week. Tried to change products and was only offered the no-fee United Card. I just transferred the credit to another card and called it a day.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the reminder. I just closed my MP Explorer card. I called after 6pm EDT and the hold time was "only" 20 minutes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LarryU

I did the same few months ago before annual fee kicked in. Over the years I earned about 3.8 million miles with this card.

Sad to see it go. I probably should have done so much sooner with all these MP devaluations.

Which card gives you 3% cash back?

Most of my spends go to AS card and CSR. I think I might still get 2.5 cents/mile but it's increasingly difficult. So 3% looks pretty attractive.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dulcamara
Brancatelli, for once,

https://joe.joesentme.com (Pay wall site)

speaks the truth on this. I cancelled my decades-old UA Signature Visa and am avoiding miles for cash back. Mileage Plus points are even worse the drachma and lira were years ago.

Kirby gives you 4x miles and devalues by 8x. Are you not amused?
Totally agree with you. Cash is king in this crisis. UA isn't inspiring any confidence in its currency with its questionable decisions over the past 12 months. I really hate the direction that Kirby and company wants to drag the industry into. Hopefully, at some point, they'll be forced to to walk back on the changes, but this probably requires Kirby to leave UA.
RNE likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Totally agree with you. Cash is king in this crisis.
You are absolutely correct. The future of air travel (and travel in general) is so uncertain that I'm actually thinking of cashing out my large Chase UR balance, something I never thought I would do.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by JetAway
You are absolutely correct. The future of air travel (and travel in general) is so uncertain that I'm actually thinking of cashing out my large Chase UR balance, something I never thought I would do.
I'm going to retain my balance, but I can't recalled a time in recent memory where so many companies are selling points at a discount. This demonstrates how desperate they are for cash. At the same time, when they're "printing" currencies at this scale, I can't help but worried we'll have to deal with some form of devaluation in the future. I don't know when or how much. Therefore I'm avoiding these currencies when possible and not buying any points.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I have the Prez+ legacy card and the MP Select card

Does spending on either of those help me towards any premier status?

I dont understand the spend component now, i'm terribly confused.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by caseminole
I have the Prez+ legacy card and the MP Select card

Does spending on either of those help me towards any premier status?
Yes, for ever $12K spend (on a particular card) you earn 500 PQPs, with varying caps based on the card
See More Information for MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers
For program year 2020, MileagePlus members are eligible to earn PQP based on their annual credit card spend.
  • Earn up to 1,000 PQP: The United℠ Explorer Card, United Club℠ Card, United℠ Explorer Business Card, United Club℠ Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum. Please see our updates below for a special promotional opportunity to earn even more PQP in 2020 on select cards, in response to the interruption in travel caused by coronavirus.
  • Earn up to 3,000 PQP: The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • Earn up to 10,000 PQP: The United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card and United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
There is a bonus program in 2020 for some of the cards but not the cards you have -- but the PresPlus is still the best card for PQPs
2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020
Old May 6, 2020, 12:39 pm
RNE

I'm rethinking the utility of every UR-earning card I have. Never thought it would come to this, but it has. If I cashed out, I'd receive $11,000. That could go to purchase cheap equities.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm rethinking the utility of every UR-earning card I have. Never thought it would come to this, but it has. If I cashed out, I'd receive $11,000. That could go to purchase cheap equities.
Or a lot of very nice toys that you can enjoy now.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well travel by car won't be limited. You can still have a vacation on the road. And still stay in nice hotels. I am keeping my Chase IHG card for that very reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.