Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
If you value the club, not really. My argument is against putting any spend on the cards (other than for status qualification), not against holding them
I have both the UA Club Card and the UA Select Card. Between them, I get:
  • 3x miles on UA purchases
  • 2x miles on Star Alliance purchases
  • 2x miles on dining/gas/groceries
  • 1.5x miles on everything else
  • United Club access
At least while I still have 1K status, the UA miles are great because there are no fees to change/cancel award tickets.

What am I missing here?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Howard
  • United Club access
At least while I still have 1K status, the UA miles are great because there are no fees to change/cancel award tickets.

What am I missing here?
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve (and for the sake of argument, the Chase Freedom Unlimited, although in reality I am category-arbitraging my non-cat spend which is very small these days). Between them, I get:
  • 3x miles on Star Alliance purchases
  • 3x miles on non-Star Alliance airline purchases
  • 3x miles on hotels
  • 3x miles on Uber, taxis, transit, and anything else "travel"
  • 3x miles on dining
  • If I don't feel like earning United miles I can, after the fact, instead "earn" Avios, VS miles, SQ miles, or WN miles. Or 1.5 cents per mile as cash to buy a ticket. I don't have to pick which one until I spend my points.
  • Also, 5x miles on quarterly categories if you throw in the Chase Freedom (another zero annual fee card)

The only "gap" is gas and groceries, but there are plenty of 0AF (zero annual fee) options that earn 3 cents or better on these categories, which by any rational valuation these days should be worth more than 2 UA miles.

The net annual fee for this portfolio is $150 and the marginal gains over the Club Card are significant if your spend is anything other than tiny. You should not be putting spend on a Chase UA card unless you were getting a status boost from it.... using it as a $450 UC membership is completely fine if you value the membership.
notquiteaff, st3 and STS-134 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
  • United Club access

What am I missing here?
Chase Sapphire Reserve card gives you more points per dollar (3x) on Star Alliance purchases, dining, and anything travel. And pair that with the Chase Freedom Unlimited and get 1.5 points per dollar on everything else. Points convert to UA miles in a 1:1 ratio. But you don't have to convert them to UA miles, you can convert them to SQ miles, or VS miles, or Marriott points, or Hyatt points, or get 1.5 cents per point booking tickets and paying cash.

You should never, ever, ever, be spending money on a United card unless it is to get a PQD waiver, but since you are 1K, that doesn't apply to you, and in any case, it doesn't apply next year.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:15 am

I've been wanting to get the card for a while for the sign up bonus and I don't think that has really changed anything. The one thing I am curious about is if the business cards offer the same 25% bonus on MileagePlus X purchases? If it does I'll likely get it and see if I can qualify again next year for status. Otherwise I think I'll put it on the backburner until I figure out what my travel schedule looks like.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by STS-134
You should never, ever, ever, be spending money on a United card unless it is to get a PQD waiver, but since you are 1K, that doesn't apply to you, and in any case, it doesn't apply next year.
Up through this year the Select offers 5k PQM on UA purchases up to $5k, which can make diff between Silver, Gold, Plat and even 1K, though the latter requires $15k PQD no waiver.

so to wag a finger “never never” at others is off the mark.

For 2020 things obviously change.

Also, depending on portfolio, the Select gives 2mi/$ on grocery and home improvement. If those can be redeemed at 1.5x that beats CFU and swamps CSR.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
findark and STS-134 . - thanks for your replies. When I ran the numbers to compare CSR with Club+Select for my spending patterns, the Club+Select came out ahead, mostly because of the 1.5x miles on the "everything else" category. However, I hadn't considered the CSR/CFU combination, which I now see adds the 1.5x earnings on "everything else" as well. The UA cards have two other benefits, however: Choices (admittedly poor value at $0.01, but occasionally useful) and PQPs (especially for Select, since they can be applied up to 1K). Decisions, decisions...
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Exactly Howard. If Select still gives 5k RDM yearly, that is probably enough to keep it (and if so, use it on grocery and Home Depot purchases).

The Club would need to provide 2x in general spend for me to consider renew it. I anticipate fewer UA trips and therefore Club membership not being as useful.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by BOSskier
Have a Chase Select also and facing the same decision, although 99% sure I'm going to cancel it when the annual fee comes due. It doesn't give you the ability to CPU on award flights, which is a meaningful missing benefit - which wasn't added per the notice I received today. I still miss the 25% premium wine purchase discount on the Club Card (which I cancelled after the lounge entrance changes). In any event, it seems benefits are being watered down and these cards are no longer competitive with the other ones out there.

Is 1,000 PQP helpful to some? Probably. But for many, is accumulating 24,000 MP miles vs the flexibility of Chase Sapphire points worth it? That's for each of us to figure out, and it's unfortunately a moving target these days with all the continued program changes. Frustrating to say the least.
While you do not get CPU adding at purchase time, o can say that you just show the credit card and they will add you at check-in.

I will still cancel the card.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
findark and STS-134 . - thanks for your replies. When I ran the numbers to compare CSR with Club+Select for my spending patterns, the Club+Select came out ahead, mostly because of the 1.5x miles on the "everything else" category. However, I hadn't considered the CSR/CFU combination, which I now see adds the 1.5x earnings on "everything else" as well. The UA cards have two other benefits, however: Choices (admittedly poor value at $0.01, but occasionally useful) and PQPs (especially for Select, since they can be applied up to 1K). Decisions, decisions...
One thing you should consider is that UA points will soon be worth less than a penny each of ACV. The absolute minimum a Chase UR point is worth is 1.5 cents if you use them to book travel through their portal. I, however, am averaging closer to 2 cents per UR point with opportunistic transfers into various programs.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
One thing you should consider is that UA points will soon be worth less than a penny each of ACV. ...
Chase Choice Points presently places an absolute floor on $0.01/mile for UA miles (purchasing UA tickets) earned using the Chase cards.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Chase Choice Points presently places an absolute floor on $0.01/mile for UA miles (purchasing UA tickets) earned using the Chase cards.
So is Chase buying the miles for $.01 each? What does it mean if dynamic pricing results in a ticket that would cost 50,000 miles, but is available for $250- cash? Does Chase have recourse against UA then?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Up through this year the Select offers 5k PQM on UA purchases up to $5k, which can make diff between Silver, Gold, Plat and even 1K, though the latter requires $15k PQD no waiver.

so to wag a finger “never never” at others is off the mark.

For 2020 things obviously change.

Also, depending on portfolio, the Select gives 2mi/$ on grocery and home improvement. If those can be redeemed at 1.5x that beats CFU and swamps CSR.
I don't know. 5K PQM is transcon round-trip, which you can grab for around $250.

Even the Citi Double Cash would get you $100 cash back on $5K worth of everyday spend (more on other cards with targeted bonuses up to 5%, and sometimes more). 5K UA miles is not worth $100 in my books, even less with dynamic pricing.

I have never considered co-branded airline credit card, and will never consider it. Why? it locks you into the program.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:37 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
I was going to ditch it, but with this I may hang on to it, need to look at the detail, Apple covers loss and theft, this looks like it may only be theft.

Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
One thing you should consider is that UA points will soon be worth less than a penny each of ACV.
Doing SAUA you can still get values of over 5 cents per mile consistently. Heck, even MileagePlus upgrade awards on UA metal can get you 3-5 cents per mile, but a lot of people are turned off by the co-pays. And as long as there's a large contingent of people who for some reason seem to be opposed to spending ANY cash on flights, hopefully it will continue to be this way for some time to come (at least until I can burn off my UA RDM).
SPN Lifer and RNE like this.

Last edited by STS-134; Oct 26, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I don't know. 5K PQM is transcon round-trip, which you can grab for around $250.

Even the Citi Double Cash would get you $100 cash back on $5K worth of everyday spend (more on other cards with targeted bonuses up to 5%, and sometimes more). 5K UA miles is not worth $100 in my books, even less with dynamic pricing.
The transcon also costs 12+ hours of one’s life sitting in a metal/plastic tube.

It would have to be UA spend to earn EQMs, and those earn 3X, so 15,000 UA miles. I think they were worth more than $100. Back in the day when the Select card came out, 3X on United spend was a good deal, and the 5K EQM were useful to me to reach 1K. It’s no surprise many here had and perhaps still have that card. There were no CSR 3X and Amex Plat 5X alternatives. Nowadays however...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.