Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jfidler
I have a a United MP Explorer card ($95 annual fee),along with a CSR and AmEx Plat. I put very little spending on the UA card.

There's one benefit that I didn't see mentioned -- when I log in to UA's site and price out award tickets, some UA-operated flights will show up as "Available exclusively as a United MileagePlus credit card member" or something like that. It seems like they make some extra inventory available on their own flights to cardholders.

Will that still be the case, and is the MP Explorer card the cheapest annual fee card I can have for that benefit? That benefit alone has been worth it to me -- I've used it numerous times, as flying out of IAD that means it's likely the direct flight on UA vs a connecting flight on another partner.
Yes, I believe it's true, but if I actually used that benefit, I'd have to keep flying UA. Why would I want to do that? I'm going to burn my UA miles on *A partner awards and SAUA, which has nothing to do with UA except for the fact that their miles are being used to book or upgrade.

What I'm going to do is get my UC passes in August when my next AF gets assessed, quickly burn them, then cancel my MPE card. If I really really really have to fly UA at some point in the future, I'll just sign up for the card again -- and get a second round of bonus miles. But since I don't see myself flying UA at all in 2021, there's absolutely no reason continue to hold this card. Only reason I got the card in the first place was for the PQD waiver.

Last edited by STS-134; Oct 17, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Just got a letter from Chase MP Select card. They are “excited to announce” we get 25% discount on Food and WiFi onboard. Wow!

Then it went into changes to the MP program...

I justified $95 AF the past 10 years due to 5,000 PQM and 5,000 RDM. It is becoming less obvious.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had already scheduled my renewal payment for the Club Card, which was due the day that UA announced these changes. I immediately canceled the payment and then called Chase to cancel the card and plan to switch my UA spending to a free BOA card that currently earns 3% cash back on travel. The <sarcasm>helpful</sarcasm> Chase agent tried to convince me that it would be a "much better" deal to get their Travel Bank card that earns 2% towards UA's "travel bank."

I have the legacy Chase Signature card that I kept because of the 5000 PQM it generated on UA purchases. I paid its annual fee last spring but will most certainly cancel this card. I much prefer to get 3% cash back than additional UA miles. Incidentally, most of my UA purchases posted the PQM correctly over the years but that was not the case for a very expensive trip I booked last March for travel this past August. My discussions with the Chase agent were very painful but I followed up directly with Mileage Plus, who posted the missing PQMs manually, which was very nice of them.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I nuked the MP Club card on account of the dynamic award pricing and moved to the CSR and paid for a UC membership because I do usually hit one about 10x/month. With the lower annual fee plus travel credits my net spend increase is only $105. Did the math and I'll see a huge bump in UR earning vs UA miles, with the added flexibility of being able to move them to different programs. I should have made the switch years ago.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jfidler

There's one benefit that I didn't see mentioned -- when I log in to UA's site and price out award tickets, some UA-operated flights will show up as "Available exclusively as a United MileagePlus credit card member" or something like that. It seems like they make some extra inventory available on their own flights to cardholders.
The message actually says

My assumption is that my Chase Select card is not making available any award availability that my Gold status doesn’t already give me.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by findark
There are better cards for earning UA miles for every single kind of purchase.
In generally you are right, and I have put very little spend on my Select card in recent years since I didn’t care about the EQMs anymore.

When I did use it in recent years, it was for groceries, gasoline and home improvement purchases. UA/*A spend has been going onto the CSR for obvious reasons. For groceries I now use the Amex Everyday card (2X MR, no AF). For gasoline I use the Ink Cash (2X UR, no AF). And home improvement isn’t a huge spend category for me at the moment, but I suppose I could always buy Lowe’s or Home Depot giftcards somewhere with another card.

I essentially kept the Select card because I considered it a no-AF card by valuing the annual 5k RDM bonus compensation for the $95 AF. That math changed for me after the elimination of the award charts and put the card on the “kill” list.

It’s my oldest card, so I plan to downgrade it to the NAF UA card. Or if Chase allows, the Chase Freedom. I suspect Chase will be happy to get rid of one of these legacy card accounts.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It’s my oldest card, so I plan to downgrade it to the NAF UA card. Or if Chase allows, the Chase Freedom. I suspect Chase will be happy to get rid of one of these legacy card accounts.
You can only upgrade/downgrade a card to one within the same "family", so Freedom is a no go. But what is this NAF UA card you speak of?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
You can only upgrade/downgrade a card to one within the same "family", so Freedom is a no go. But what is this NAF UA card you speak of?
My wife had one that earned 1/2 mile per dollar. They recently closed it for non-use (if she had used it, I would have closed it ). I don’t think it was ever marketed and offered to her when she closed some older card.

But there is also the newer TravelBank card.

https://www.theexplorercard.com/cons...lbank?cell=D5B
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I looked at my MP Signature Visa spending since 2012:

2019 $27000
2018 $124000
2017 $133000
2016 $155000
2015 $131000
2014 $186000
2013 $213000
2012 $187000

Over 8 year period, the total charge on MP Visa is 1.15 million USD. I have earned more than 3 million MP miles.

As soon as United announced dynamic pricing on award travel and elimination of award chart, I completely stopped charging this card, and moved all my spend to CSR.

I should have done this much sooner, but I had kept false faith on United mileage program. Never dreamed of such stunning and drastic devaluation. I hate Delta SkyMiles but now United isn't much different.

United now has more than doubled PQD for 1K qualification (54 segment is a non-starter for me) and largely eliminated CC waiver and foreign address waiver. I see zero reason to use MP Visa. Will cancel as soon as I get 5,000 anniversary bonus miles.

Soon we will probably see one million mile redemption for a R/T biz class to Asia/Mid-east/NZ. Many people will find out that the "free" R/T tickets promised by United when they signed up are simply not there.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
My wife had one that earned 1/2 mile per dollar. They recently closed it for non-use (if she had used it, I would have closed it ). I don’t think it was ever marketed and offered to her when she closed some older card.

But there is also the newer TravelBank card.

https://www.theexplorercard.com/cons...lbank?cell=D5B
Okay that card is utterly useless. I'm definitely going to just cancel.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Just got a letter from Chase MP Select card. They are “excited to announce” we get 25% discount on Food and WiFi onboard. Wow!

Then it went into changes to the MP program...

I justified $95 AF the past 10 years due to 5,000 PQM and 5,000 RDM. It is becoming less obvious.
My wife just got the same letter. It looks like they are dropping the 5,000 RDM as well. It's almost laughable what they are offering.
Why would a 1K spend any money on food when we get it free? And paying for the non-functional WiFi-I'd rather clean the toilets in a Turkish bus station.
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mr8
CSR is easily worth more than $450 if you do a lot of international travel and rent cars.
Or, rack up a lot of restuarant spend...
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
How easy is it to convert a UA card (e.g. legacy Signature Platinum) to a CSR? Full application and hard credit pull?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by djmp
How easy is it to convert a UA card (e.g. legacy Signature Platinum) to a CSR? Full application and hard credit pull?
Can't be done. You can only convert a card to another card in the same family. Cancel the UA card and apply for a new one (also better because you get the sign up bonus).
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
My wife just got the same letter. It looks like they are dropping the 5,000 RDM as well.
I didn’t consider that. But you are right the letter is silent about the RDM. The RDM makes the card only slightly bad. I may call up to see ( and cancel while I have them)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.