Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I have never considered co-branded airline credit card, and will never consider it. Why? it locks you into the program.
Just because you have a co-branded card doesn't mean that's the only card you have. It only locks you in if you let it. I used to have the old MP card for the 5K EQM. That's the only reason I ever used it, and when I had fulfilled the requirements, I used other cards.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
So is Chase buying the miles for $.01 each? ....
Chase provides statement credit for UA flight purchases at $0.01/mile, as they have for over a decade

What does it mean if dynamic pricing results in a ticket that would cost 50,000 miles, but is available for $250- cash? Does Chase have recourse against UA then?
That's between Chase and UA but that situation has existed for years and has long been true at times. Note the tickets purchased this way are cash tickets, not award tickets -- just like UR tickets.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I don't know. 5K PQM is transcon round-trip, which you can grab for around $250. ....
Plus a day of your time.

Plus incidental costs such as transport to/from the airport, ...
notquiteaff and zombietooth like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 26, 2019 at 5:29 pm
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Chase provides statement credit for UA flight purchases at $0.01/mile, as they have for over a decade
I didn't even know about this benefit. But it must mean that Chase buys the miles significantly cheaper than $.01, no?

Can you use your entire MP balance to do this, or only the miles earned directly from Chase?
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I didn't even know about this benefit. But it must mean that Chase buys the miles significantly cheaper than $.01, no?

Can you use your entire MP balance to do this, or only the miles earned directly from Chase?
Supposed to be the latter, but I have been given option to use all. I think the key is to have current earned miles from the CC mixed in.

so a $400 ticket that dynamic awards wants 60k, you can use say 25k (like you would have done for a saver domestic) and take a $250 credit. Plus still earn 2000-4400 RDM based on status.

but you have to have a UA credit card. Thus me thinking to keep Select
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Supposed to be the latter, but I have been given option to use all. I think the key is to have current earned miles from the CC mixed in.

so a $400 ticket that dynamic awards wants 60k, you can use say 25k (like you would have done for a saver domestic) and take a $250 credit. Plus still earn 2000-4400 RDM based on status.

Yeah, for this option alone, your Select is probably worth keeping.

I was just thinking that this would be a good way to spend a bunch of miles for cash tickets, if you could get away with it. I, unlike others, am not finding good partner saver inventory that doesn't involve long layovers or awkward routings to spend my miles on before they get rid of the partner saver awards, so I'd rather just convert a bunch of miles to cash if I can find a good way to do it.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
I'm cancelling PP and applying for the Explorer card simply to have access to more award seats that I can get by transferring Chase points to UA if I need to. Also, the checked luggage credit is decent and group 2 boarding. For 95 clams, its worth it ultimately. Also have the basically worthless AA Exec MC, which gives my family access to the Admirals Club when flying AA, the Jetblue card (fast becoming my favorite domestic airline) and the Chase SR.

Love being a free agent
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wingnuthead
I'm cancelling PP and applying for the Explorer card simply to have access to more award seats that I can get by transferring Chase points to UA if I need to. Also, the checked luggage credit is decent and group 2 boarding. For 95 clams, its worth it ultimately. Also have the basically worthless AA Exec MC, which gives my family access to the Admirals Club when flying AA, the Jetblue card (fast becoming my favorite domestic airline) and the Chase SR.

Love being a free agent
I'd cancel PP and, if you are still UA Gold as indicated in your profile, wait until at least January/February 2021 (or until you need to book a flight) before applying for Explorer. Then take advantage of its benefits, collect the bonus miles, then cancel it after 2 years, then lather, rinse, repeat. Chase allows you to get a bonus on a card at most once every 2 years.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
How do they even keep track of Chase-earned miles vs. miles from other sources? Is there a priority for one or the other when redeeming miles for award flights?

I just checked my Choices balance. I recently had an account balance of 1 (one) mile left. No idea what the source of that one mile was. And then yesterday I got 2000 miles from Hertz. It shows I have 2001 award miles and a choices balance of 2001 miles as well.

That might be a useful way to burn UA miles from sources other than credit cards, but I would rather earn URs via CSR/CFU/CIC and then redeem at 1.5 cents than use my Select card for pretty much anything.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

That might be a useful way to burn UA miles from sources other than credit cards, but I would rather earn URs via CSR/CFU/CIC and then redeem at 1.5 cents than use my Select card for pretty much anything.
I'm with you on this. I am happy with a big UR mileage balance because of the flexibility.

What I need to do is get rid of a bunch of miles earned from flying before the inevitable partner award devaluation occurs. I also think there will be an increase in the # of miles to UG, making the miles even more undesirable. I expect MP to go full DL by the end of next year.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
I just cancelled the MP select card.

The 5k EQM are no longer of any further use. The 500 EQP require a ridiculous amount of spend that I am no longer willing to make on that card. It's certainly not worth $90 annual fee.

I told Chase as much. Let's see if my pebble adds to the avalanche of bad feedback from Chase to UA.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:28 am

I'm with you on this. I am happy with a big UR mileage balance because of the flexibility.

What I need to do is get rid of a bunch of miles earned from flying before the inevitable partner award devaluation occurs. I also think there will be an increase in the # of miles to UG, making the miles even more undesirable. I expect MP to go full DL by the end of next year.
Keep in mind we all will still earn RDM when flying UA and crediting MP. To harvest those miles having the Choices is of benefit. Just means charge a little on a UA card and then periodically flush the miles via choices, if saver awards are too pricey.

UR is great but it isn’t the full picture. You still earn FFM on whatever airline.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
I just cancelled the MP select card.

The 5k EQM are no longer of any further use. The 500 EQP require a ridiculous amount of spend that I am no longer willing to make on that card. It's certainly not worth $90 annual fee.

I told Chase as much. Let's see if my pebble adds to the avalanche of bad feedback from Chase to UA.
Did you verify if they still provide 5k RDM annually?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 11:38 am

Keep in mind we all will still earn RDM when flying UA and crediting MP. To harvest those miles having the Choices is of benefit.
Plus the ticket we pay off with Choices is also a mileage earning ticket, so will in effect get a partial rebate of Choices spent plus BIS toward MM.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Have to say I have been doing very well on upgrades on award tickets.

None of my RPUs have worked on paid tickets. Admittedly different and longer flights than for the award tickets.

Whilst I am using miles for domestic flights the UA MP CC is staying.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, that's correct. Long routes in discount PE/J on non-016 tickets are definitely the sweet spot for PQP earning.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I suppose this change may result in some subset of people cancelling their United credit cards. For me one of the main reasons to have this card was the multiplier on United purchases. But if I don't buy from United anymore...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.