Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’m assuming they will give 500 PQP only after $12k is crossed (and after the CC statement has closed).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
However, only certain (discontinued?) card PQPs are valid up to 1K status.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I don't think there are any cards out there that allow one to earn more than the 10,000 PQP offered for the Presidential Plus. Those PQP, though, are eligible to count towards 1K status in the year they are earned (no more flexible PQM / PQP). I will be interested to see how the PQP posting works...I would have preferred if UA would post it pro-rata as earned, as opposed to making it every $12k (where one needs to double-check their spending to see if it adds up to what they are expecting).
The quote posted just a few post back with directly address these uncertainties.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I’m assuming they will give 500 PQP only after $12k is crossed (and after the CC statement has closed).
Yes -- seem logical to asuume these will be handled just as any previous Chase card spend bonus has been handled.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has confirmed that you can stack the PQP benefits of multiple cards.
Kudos to anyone who has the personal and business version of the Presidential Plus...as long as they can spend $240k on each card, that puts them very close to 1K status! (no small feat, of course...)
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
United Club Membership with a $375 Annual Fee Chase Presidential Plus Card

Originally Posted by STS-134
Yeah I meant Annual Fee. I don't understand why anyone would pay for a UC membership rather than get the card unless Chase banned him/her for some reason. Isn't the Club card AF cheaper than the Club membership price?
I've been grandfathered at a $375 annual fee for the Presidential Plus card (which I've held before the UA-CO merger, but is no longer issued to new applicants), which provides United Club membership. I'm very disappointed at the huge devaluation of the MP benefits formerly associated with the card, especially the loss of flex PQMs and the PQD waiver. I will serious reconsider which other cards I use for spending, but at least for now I have essentially a decent discount on United Club membership by continuing to hold the card. I fly mostly long haul flights, including international, with limited or no upgrade opportunities as a Gold or Silver so the program changes hit me especially hard. If I can't requalify for Premier Gold, at least I have the option to use the United Club membership in Star Alliance overseas clubs, which I usually prefer anyway.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by auandagbug
I've been grandfathered at a $375 annual fee for the Presidential Plus card (which I've held before the UA-CO merger, but is no longer issued to new applicants), which provides United Club membership. I'm very disappointed at the huge devaluation of the MP benefits formerly associated with the card, especially the loss of flex PQMs and the PQD waiver. I will serious reconsider which other cards I use for spending, but at least for now I have essentially a decent discount on United Club membership by continuing to hold the card. I fly mostly long haul flights, including international, with limited or no upgrade opportunities as a Gold or Silver so the program changes hit me especially hard. If I can't requalify for Premier Gold, at least I have the option to use the United Club membership in Star Alliance overseas clubs, which I usually prefer anyway.
If you have been able to (up until 2019) qualify for UA Gold, you should be able to get OZ or A3 Gold easily, which would also give you all of the privileges of a UC membership without the $375 annual fee.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLATINUM
United MileagePlus® Card useless now I don't earn 10,000 PQMs per year?

Now we are in the world of PQP/PQF and PQMs and PQDs mean nothing, am I right in thinking my United MileagePlus CHASE Visa Signature Card that gave me 10K in PQMs per year for a 35K spend is pretty useless? I cannot seem to find anything that details how this works moving forward. I remember reading somewhere (on here or TPG) that you could earn a small number of PQPs with what seemed like a HUGE spend on some but not all cards, and even fewer if those counted to 1K status, but I don't recall which cards and if mine is one of those. Does anyone else with this old UNITED card know?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ch922455
Now we are in the world of PQP/PQF and PQMs and PQDs mean nothing, am I right in thinking my United MileagePlus CHASE Visa Signature Card that gave me 10K in PQMs per year for a 35K spend is pretty useless? ....
The max for the $35K spend was 5K PQMs and another 5K PQMs (for the Platinum Card) for $5K in spend on united.com

That 10K PQMs was 20% of the amount for Gold and 10% for 1K

The new terms are 500 PQPs for $12K spend up to 3,000 PQPs
For $36K in spend, you get 1,500 PQPs and the $5K spend on United would get another 4K+ PQPs (taxes do not count).

For Gold, you need 8-10,000 PQPs. so for $36K spend alone, you will get 15%-19% for the Gold requirements -- could get as high as 30% - 38%

for 1K you need 18-24,000 PQPs. so for $36K spend alone, you will get 6%-8% for the 1K requirements -- could get as high as 12% - 17%

So for the same $36K, you get a little less but for more spend you can get spend credit toward status
Then add in $5K on UA spend, and you are much higher than before

Up to you to decide if that is worth it to you. It might be useless, it might be useful

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by ch922455
Now we are in the world of PQP/PQF and PQMs and PQDs mean nothing, am I right in thinking my United MileagePlus CHASE Visa Signature Card that gave me 10K in PQMs per year for a 35K spend is pretty useless? I cannot seem to find anything that details how this works moving forward. I remember reading somewhere (on here or TPG) that you could earn a small number of PQPs with what seemed like a HUGE spend on some but not all cards, and even fewer if those counted to 1K status, but I don't recall which cards and if mine is one of those. Does anyone else with this old UNITED card know?
I'm not sure there was ever a card that gave you 10K PQM for 35K spend. The legacy cards (Presidential Plus and Select also had some limits). The MileagePlus Visa Signature (the business version) gave you 10K award miles for 25K in spend but those wouldn't help towards premier qualification.

Also with the new PQP/PQF system, you can get 500 PQP for $12K in spend on the MileagePlus Visa card (for a max of 1000 PQP, and 3000 PQP for the legacy Select) so that's about all.

Last edited by arshi007; Jan 5, 2020 at 6:12 pm Reason: adding appropriate info
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by arshi007
I'm not sure there was ever a card that gave you 10K PQM for 35K spend. ...
There was a card, Chase MP Platinum that gave
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The max for the $35K spend was 5K PQMs and another 5K PQMs (for the Platinum Card) for $5K in spend on united.com ...
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:45 pm

Has anyone received the 500 PQP for credit card spend in 2020 yet? I have spent $27K and received the miles credit but no PQP at all. Just wondering if someone else got PQP and why I didn't
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by arly
Has anyone received the 500 PQP for credit card spend in 2020 yet? I have spent $27K and received the miles credit but no PQP at all. Just wondering if someone else got PQP and why I didn't
Thats quite a jag in 10 days. You'd put on $972K in a year like that!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:30 pm

LOL... Happened to be a big business purchase that needed to be made. I delayed it after the new year to try to get some PQP. But I am in doubt now on how they will process it. I called MileagePlus and the rep told me it will take 6-8 weeks to credit. They also tell me there is a 1000PQP limit a month on my Presidential Plus Card no matter how much I spend. That would be a bummer....

Anyone else got the PQP?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by arly
Anyone else got the PQP?
In the past, I had FPQM post at the end of the month - so will have a better idea then, assuming (fingers crossed) that timing is not impacted due to these 'enhancements'...
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
In the past, I had FPQM post at the end of the month - so will have a better idea then, assuming (fingers crossed) that timing is not impacted due to these 'enhancements'...
And credit card purchase PQMs posted the next month, so it may be a awhile before we know the timeline for credit card purchase PQPs
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Decisions, Decisions

Looking for some feedback about this thought process involving deciding to keep my Mileage Plus Select Card,

Current card complement: JPMR, CSR, Amex Plat, MP Select Card.

Plan: Keep JPMR, Amex Plat, MP Select; Ditch CSR (which was obtained for a particular purpose no longer needed)

My continued use of the Select obviously involves some faith that I will find some future value in UA rewards. As this is the card that I have had the longest, I assume that it adds some FICO value. The other additional benefit of the card is that if I am looking for a mileage award, it opens up additional seats.

Right now, the only spend I put on the Select is groceries (2X spend), which along with the 5K anniversary bonus yeilds 20K UA miles per year for an annual fee of $85.

Any thoughts about my plan to keep this card vs whatever the next best alternative might be?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.