Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reconsidering Chase MP Cards due to 2020 FF Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are; I continue to get over 3 cpp on last minute domestic saver. But I still place overall value somewhere around 1.2 or 1.3 cpp.

Wow, that's clever ticketing on your part. I've booked 500k worth in the last year, averaging about 1.2. The flights that I buy with cash and Chase UR points earn far more miles than I could ever possibly use at 2cpp or higher. So I can't imagine ever converting a single UR point. I also can't imagine earning one more single mile with a United credit card or MP shopping or whatever.

I also bet that UA's "dynamic" award pricing will ensure that you will never, ever get more than 1.5cpp value for your miles. I guess we'll see.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:18 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I doubt that many people are transferring UR points to MP miles. It just doesn't make sense.
Partner saver tickets can be worth it. I was comparing some NH J tickets and it was a much better deal to transfer and use MP versus doing the conversion/purchase with Chase. Now with the dynamic awards on UA metal, that is another story, but the dynamic pricing is much more recent so in a historical sense they still could have had a lot of people transfer. Only Chase and UA really know.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by st3
Partner saver tickets can be worth it. I was comparing some NH J tickets and it was a much better deal to transfer and use MP versus doing the conversion/purchase with Chase. Now with the dynamic awards on UA metal, that is another story, but the dynamic pricing is much more recent so in a historical sense they still could have had a lot of people transfer. Only Chase and UA really know.
If you are looking to redeem NH J, it may be better to transfer from Chase UR to VS (Virgin Atlantic) and redeem NH flights from there. The redemption would have to be roundtrip but otherwise fewer miles required than UA or NH's own FF program.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:07 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are looking to redeem NH J, it may be better to transfer from Chase UR to VS (Virgin Atlantic) and redeem NH flights from there. The redemption would have to be roundtrip but otherwise fewer miles required than UA or NH's own FF program.
Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know you could book through VS.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by st3
IANAL, but can they really do that? My only direct experience personally is a Visa that I had about 15 years ago where the issuing bank was bought out by Citi. Citi converted the card to an Amex but transferred over the balance, payment history etc. Something like that seems more likely, or what they have been doing in prior years of watering down the benefits and jacking up the AF on the legacy cards to "encourage" the cardholders to switch to a different product or walk away altogether.
I think as a business/contract matter they can, although I imagine they view it as much better to try to convert you to a different product or reduce the benefits and get you to cancel.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I sincerely hope so - Chase can put far more pressure on UA than any of us here.

If Chase starts losing annual fees, processing fees, interest and mileage purchases from UA, I could see them becoming very upset, very quickly. If the relationship with Chase goes south because of poor performance, I can't see Citi or Amex lining up for a United card contract without terms and conditions favorable to them.
There's another side to this dynamic, where UA is already publicly mad at Chase because CSR/CSP beating MPE handily.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mduell
There's another side to this dynamic, where UA is already publicly mad at Chase because CSR/CSP beating MPE handily.
This sounds conspiratorial, but what if UA is doing some of these things so that they can break the contract with Chase on the CSR/CSP. Without those 2 cards, there would be no competition for the UA "Exploder" card.

I am really shocked that UA has such a weak rewards card. It really is almost worthless if you already have Gold status.

I wonder if UA was blindsided by the reaction to dynamic pricing. The minute they devalued the miles, the potential rebate for spend on their card went through the floor and savvy flyers started looking around for better options.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I am really shocked that UA has such a weak rewards card. It really is almost worthless if you already have Gold status.
Even as 1K, I value the card for award CPUs. It just sucks for spend. UA should look at DL, which provides strong incentives for elites to actually use the card as opposed to leaving it in the sock drawer.

This whole trend started when UA killed the bonus points you used to earn for hitting a specified spend level. That's when I stopped spending on it. Killing the PQD waiver was nail in the coffin (though never relevant for me).
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
That's UA's fault for making the number of miles earned per dollar so crappy for travel and dining. When I get more UA miles per dollar buying UA tickets with an unbranded card than with a UA card, something is wrong with UA's program.

Up through this year, I have made sure to spend at least $25k on the card. But $0 of that has been UA tickets. In fact, as long as I have held the MPE card, I have not ever purchased a single UA ticket with it.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Even as 1K, I value the card for award CPUs. It just sucks for spend. UA should look at DL, which provides strong incentives for elites to actually use the card as opposed to leaving it in the sock drawer.

This whole trend started when UA killed the bonus points you used to earn for hitting a specified spend level. That's when I stopped spending on it. Killing the PQD waiver was nail in the coffin (though never relevant for me).
That is a good benefit-if it works. You may not remember this but I have reported several times on FT where I couldn't get added to the waitlist even though I booked the flight with a UA card. I went round and round with UA IT and CS and nothing was ever resolved. I remember once, after spending 20 mins on the phone with the 1K desk, getting placed on the waitlist manually but, comically, was placed below the Silvers. My wife had this problem also.

If UA IT had been able to resolve this problem, we may've kept our cards. But, their failures to rectify this situation, and the very poor training/education levels of GAs and phone agents who didn't know that CC holders are supposed to get added to the CPU list, cemented our decision to cancel once the devaluation got close.

RE: Other rewards programs.

I was just glancing at the Hyatt card and noticed you get 4X Hyatt Spend and 2X airline (equiv. to UA) and restaurants, etc., plus a free (Cat 1-4) night or two. Since Hyatt points are pretty much the most valuable points out there, this card has an excellent cash rebate value (with Hyatt points valued at 1.8 cents).

I looked at every other travel card in the last couple days because I am shopping around, and it appears to me that UA's is the absolute weakest travel card of all.

Different Subject:

I can't remember, but do you receive TOD offers into domestic F on awards, or are those precluded for award travel?

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 30, 2019 at 5:56 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
While increasingly rare, there are still some redemptions that are far better than 1.5 cents (or 1.76 cents).
For sure. As an example, 150K miles to Asia round-trip in J (or 170K in partner J) is sometihng you'd have to value at at least 1.8-2 cents. It's definitely tougher than ever before, but that's still my minimum threshold for redemptions. As Kacee said, the last minute domestic/NA redemptions are another great deal. Just used 25K miles for YOW-YYZ-SFO (with a full day in YYZ) in J on AC, when I was being asked for $600+ for a paid coach ticket.
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by st3
Partner saver tickets can be worth it. I was comparing some NH J tickets and it was a much better deal to transfer and use MP versus doing the conversion/purchase with Chase.
+1 I'm holding an NH F award that I got at 11.5 cpm.

ETA: Given that 61% of our spending is on CSR 3X travel and dining, those points are indeed worth a lot when redeemed in this manner.I caculate that for each dollar spent as described, 19.5 cents was accrued for the F ticket.

Last edited by 747FC; Nov 2, 2019 at 3:48 pm
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:20 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If Chase starts losing annual fees, processing fees, interest and mileage purchases from UA, I could see them becoming very upset...
Maybe it's a wash. UA may be very upset with Chase for its 5/24 rule that puts fewer UA cards in wallets.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RNE
Maybe it's a wash. UA may be very upset with Chase for its 5/24 rule that puts fewer UA cards in wallets.
I don’t think many people prevented by 5/24 from getting the UA cards would spend a ton of money on them (once the sign-up bonus is earned). The vast majority of Chase/UA customers is probably far from 5/24 anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by STS-134
That's UA's fault for making the number of miles earned per dollar so crappy for travel and dining. When I get more UA miles per dollar buying UA tickets with an unbranded card than with a UA card, something is wrong with UA's program.
PSA: at the moment you might be able to get more UA miles per dollar with a UA card (e.g., 6/$ with my Select VISA)

UA Visa: use Chase Pay for United.com purchases and get 3X bonus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.