Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
United Gateway Card Benefits
  • No annual fee
  • 2 miles per $1 spent on United purchases, gas stations and local transit / commuting / ride sharing
  • 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases onboard United-operated flights (and inflight wi-fi purchase)
  • Expanded award availability (XN)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Roadside Dispatch
  • Travel and Emergency Assistance Service
  • Purchase protection "Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account"
previous
United TravelBank Card Benefits
  • No annual fee
  • 2% in TravelBank cash per $1 spent on United purchases, such as airline tickets, seat upgrades and bag fees
  • 1.5% in TravelBank cash per $1 spent on all other purchases
  • 25% back as a statement credit on food and beverage purchases onboard United-operated flights (and inflight wi-fi purchase)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • Redeem starting with $1 in TravelBank cash
  • Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
  • Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance
Per Business Insider
the TravelBank Card doesn't offer perks like free checked bags, priority boarding, or access to United's clubs.
Chase and United are hoping to capitalize on the dissatisfaction in this space by winning over the leisure traveler who flies a handful of times each year, prioritizes cash back, and would balk at paying annual fees — an approach that shouldn't cannibalize business from existing United cards.
Chase Landing Page

Print Wikipost

Chase United TravelBank Card becoming non-cashback Chase MP Gateway Card 21 Sept 2020

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club

Chase and United are coming out with a new card called the United TravelBank Card. The card features include
  • $0 Annual Fee
  • 2% TravelBank Cash Back on UA Purchases
  • 1.5% TravelBank Cash Back on All Other Purchases
  • 25% Off Food and Beverages Purchased on United Flights
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees
  • Signup Bonus of $150 TravelBank Cash by Spending $1,000 in the First Three Months

There will be no minimum accumulation required to use the cash back. Additionally, this card does not come with priority boarding, complimentary checked bags, or one time UA Club passes.

Business Insider Article
Chase Landing Page

Definitely not the greatest card as there are better cash back rewards out there. However, the 25% off food and beverage seems interesting. All in all, its better than the MileagePlus GO Visa Prepaid Card

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 5, 2017 at 10:53 pm Reason: Title updated per OP request
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I wonder if spend on this card counts towards the $25K needed for the PQD waiver
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by swiftaw
I wonder if spend on this card counts towards the $25K needed for the PQD waiver
I doubt it, but TravelBank funds applied to the purchase of a United ticket will count toward PQD.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The only attractive feature, relative to my main cards (CSR, Chase Freedom w/rotating categories, and Presidential Plus) is the 1.5% cash back on all spending. That said, not sure I value the TravelBank funds more than the FPQMs. I might sign up because of the $150 bonus, which is extremely easy for me to hit.

The other upshot is maybe there will be more responsive support for the united.com Club?!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The battle of Chase and AMEX continue! AMEX just reviled a $0 AF Blue Delta SkyMiles Credit Card today. Funny how that works
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Will this card count toward Chase's 5/24 rule?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
I am only wondering whether it is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. (Upgrade X fare...)

For me, the best thing about Explorer card is X-upgrade (don't have too many chance to use it tho)..

From United:https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by EWR764
I doubt it, but TravelBank funds applied to the purchase of a United ticket will count toward PQD.
Probably not, but it's not obvious why it shouldn't. The purpose of the $25k PQD waiver is to incentivize high spend, and that high spend should be just as valuable to Chase on a no-AF card as it is on an AF card (given that none of the UA cards are Visa Infinite).

Apparently the AmEx DL Blue card does not count towards the MQD waiver unless you also have a Gold/Plat/Reserve card, so clearly we can assume that you cannot get the PQD waiver with this card alone.

25% Off Food and Beverages Purchased on United Flights
It's funny that this no-AF card is superior to the $95 Explorer and $450 Club cards in this respect. Maybe they will add that benefit to the other cards?

Last edited by milypan; Sep 6, 2017 at 12:06 pm Reason: Updated info on DL AmEx card
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jackexu
I am only wondering whether it is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. (Upgrade X fare...)
It's not eligible according to the Upgrading Award Tickets section. Only Explorer, Club, and Presidential Plus are.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:12 pm

Can you actually sign up for this yet? The landing page doesn't have an obvious 'Click here to apply!' link or button.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
It's not eligible according to the Upgrading Award Tickets section. Only Explorer, Club, and Presidential Plus are.
While agreeing it is probably not eligible, as the card benefits do not list it as a benefit, the lack of mention on that section is probably not a good indicator -- as the card is new as of today and the section may or may not has been updated.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott T, HH D, IHG SA.
Originally Posted by getagb
Maybe they forgot to update this part~~
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:51 pm

Looks like the application is live. Just got approved for a pretty large credit line (mainly because I already have so much credit with Chase...). Will enjoy pocketing that $150 TravelBank credit shortly
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
The only attractive feature, relative to my main cards (CSR, Chase Freedom w/rotating categories, and Presidential Plus) is the 1.5% cash back on all spending. That said, not sure I value the TravelBank funds more than the FPQMs. I might sign up because of the $150 bonus, which is extremely easy for me to hit.

The other upshot is maybe there will be more responsive support for the united.com Club?!
Citi has a "1+1" no-fee card that gives 2% cash back on all spending: 1% on every dollar you spend and 1% on every dollar you pay towards balance.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
Citi has a "1+1" no-fee card that gives 2% cash back on all spending: 1% on every dollar you spend and 1% on every dollar you pay towards balance.
For some the no forex of the TravelBank card could be better even at 1.5% TravelBank cash. I picked up the TravelBank card for +1 for an European trip, the lack of 3% forex will make a significant difference in the net shopping $$$.

The UA travel benefits of the card is still fuzzy and seems minimal if not non-existent (outside of the in-flight food discount).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.