Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I haven't flown on United since 2015, so I guess now with miles never expiring I don't have to worry about that 18 month expiration threshold. I always booked rental cars through United just to keep my UA MP account active and earn some MP points, though I like using Dollar and Hertz a lot as well. I wish I could've extended my China Airlines Dynasty Flyer, which the oldest mileage expires after 3 years with no way to extend them. I lost over 22k miles at CI because of that, and now I just send those CI flight miles to DL since they are both part of Skyteam. Now UA doing dynamic pricing like DL, I don't think the miles are worth much and will more likely devalue in the coming years. Its going to be harder to redeem mileage and not get ripped off, such as using 95k miles to fly from ORD to GCM!?!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I mean i guess that’s nice? Does anyone who ever flies enough to have sufficient miles for an award go 2+ years without account activity?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I mean i guess that’s nice? Does anyone who ever flies enough to have sufficient miles for an award go 2+ years without account activity?
Yes, some of our kids.
But overall this is a token gesture by United.
A nice touch, will limited benefit.

They'll re-introduce mileage expiration before the next decade is over, is my prediction.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes
Many with greater than 50-100K miles and some with much more have posted in this thread
Reinstatement of Expired MileagePlus Miles [Consolidated]
and this classic
1.1 million miles expired 6 wks ago
getagb likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Yes. I have 150K miles and I fly United about once every two years or do. This program change definitely makes things easier for me, as I didn't have any easy way to extend expiration of my UA miles
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by friedablass
For some reason United only chose to notify me of this exciting news at 10:03 pm EDT (which was when I got their email). Then I come on here and it's old news since 4 am this morning 😁!

Anyway, I think this is just something they did to temper the overall devaluation of their program and moving to dynamic pricing.
Yes. Otherwise known as “throwing a bone”.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
On another thought, this gives me another incentive to cancel my Chase UA Card.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: 1MM UA
This is good news for me. My United flying became irregular when I hit retirement age. But more importantly, I "manage" the accounts of my 4 family members and this gives me one less thing to worry about. As a data point, my family has 472K (total) Delta miles which would have expired by now under the previous Delta rules. Well, they wouldn't have since I would have done something with magazines or dining to make sure they wouldn't have expired. But the "never expire" rule saves the mental energy that would have required. For me, that is a good thing.

Some have talked about all the devaluations over the years. My family mostly uses domestic RT (50 of them since 1991) which were 25K in the late 80's and 25K in 2019.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosafan
Some have talked about all the devaluations over the years. My family mostly uses domestic RT (50 of them since 1991) which were 25K in the late 80's and 25K in 2019.
But, they're not, though.

In the late 80s, they were 25K on almost any flight. Now, they're 25K on distressed inventory only, and 50-65K is more common. And, starting November 15th, they're... who knows how much.
getagb likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sosafan
This is good news for me. My United flying became irregular when I hit retirement age. But more importantly, I "manage" the accounts of my 4 family members and this gives me one less thing to worry about. As a data point, my family has 472K (total) Delta miles which would have expired by now under the previous Delta rules. Well, they wouldn't have since I would have done something with magazines or dining to make sure they wouldn't have expired. But the "never expire" rule saves the mental energy that would have required. For me, that is a good thing.

The problem is that the old "go to Hawaii for 45K" and the "save 90K miles, get a business class ticket is long dead... I can look long and hard, and there are no seats to Hawaii for less than 90K miles RT in Y, and J overseas is 150K min, but actually far greater. So using the miles for domestic trips, was the only really useful use of them left. However, with pricing being "dynamic" the old "well the ticket is $600 so I'll use 25K miles" offer no longer will exist, it will be "the seat costs $600 or you can use 60K miles"

Basically UA miles are worth 1 cent each moving forward, and I see no reason to collect them. I'll just try to use what I get on the few *A partners who make space available.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:53 pm

The cynic in me says that the beancounters already figured out that most of the easy money (or liability reduction) has been made from miles that expired when the 18-month policy went into affect. 18 months plus an 18-month grace period to recover expired miles would be close to now. With not much left to recover of those large balances, might as well get some goodwill.

Pretty sad that United couldn't be bothered to notify it's customers that their miles were in danger of expiring when the policy went into affect, but now they tout it in a big email to everybody that the expiration is going away. But I guess that is to be expected.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
yes. I do with Delta
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:39 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Well I have 1,200,000 award miles left, and was just thinking that I was going to have to buy 1000 miles for those to stay alive. Now I don't have to.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

They certainly can...and already do. Thing FlexMiles on the PP card, and the Choices program on the older UA cards - while you can't redeem for PQM, you can still use those miles earned on a CC to redeem for the card annual fee, or a credit for booked travel (I think its $0.01/mile...not great, but its an option).
I'm still having trouble understanding this. I have both a CSR card and also a Chase UA card, and I accumulate miles in both, as well of course also UA flight miles. I occasionally do use miles from my M+ account to redeem against UA ticket purchases on the UA Chase card, just as you point out is possible. However even when the majority of miles in my account at that time happen to come from CSR transfers, I've never received a denial message such as "You have sufficient total M+ miles for this redemption, but not enough of those miles come from purchases on the UA card or UA flights." From my perspective, earnings from UA Chase purchases and UA flights are invisibly comingled with transfers from CSR. I don't see any evidence that they track them separately.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 29, 2019 at 2:32 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starman
I don't see any evidence that they track them separately.
They do track them separately, but not at the level of detail where they assign each mile a source.

Rather, you're only allowed to use as many Choices as miles that you've earned from the card, in aggregate. So, the condition is "sufficient miles in the M+ account" plus "total miles earned from the card minus total Choices redeemed is sufficient."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.