Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
They do track them separately, but not at the level of detail where they assign each mile a source.

Rather, you're only allowed to use as many Choices as miles that you've earned from the card, in aggregate. So, the condition is "sufficient miles in the M+ account" plus "total miles earned from the card minus total Choices redeemed is sufficient."
Thanks! And is the calculation of "miles earned minus total Choices redemption" made over the lifetime of the card? Over the past year? How do we know?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starman
Thanks! And is the calculation of "miles earned minus total Choices redemption" made over the lifetime of the card? Over the past year? How do we know?
I don't see it anywhere in the T&C. My current Choices balance ( at https://www.united.com/choices ) shows that I could use my entire mileage balance, so it's definitely not restricting it to purchases made in the last year.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Starman
Best I can tell, Lifetime (minus any Choice redemptions)
I have had my Choice redeemable miles drop to my actual RDMs, did a flight, got miles and the Choice miles available increased.

This was discussed (12) years ago in MP Visa Choices Primer in the PMUA forum

Are we getting a bit off topic, questions about ChoisePoints are best in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...5-forward.html
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
I can look long and hard, and there are no seats to Hawaii for less than 90K miles RT in Y,
Most of September has 45K RT from SFO in Economy - they recently had a sale for 1/2 that with many dates available
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I submit that two programs that will take hits over the change are MileagePlus Shopping and MileagePlus Dining, where we direct small miles. Not worth the time spent coordinating purchases with them now. And better to use the buying programs of favored hotels and airlines where miles/points still expire.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:48 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Excellent, great for marketing, great for sales, great for allegiance and also as they will get people to possible horde, and as they devalue the miles that were saved instead of spent those miles will be less a liability, win-win-win, awesome!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I'm very surprised at the positive response here. I agree this is consumer friendly, but for those that are frequent united travelers(likely most of the posters here), it has a lot of disadvantages:

1) Less availability for award seats as more people will be able/want to use miles that previously would be worthless
2) Less breakage of UA miles(miles cost UA more) and therefore we can expect accelerated devaluation of the miles
3) More people will get the UA credit card, increasing the number of outstanding miles/liability and therefore we can expect accelerated devaluation of the miles

If awards are not harder to book and/or miles devalued the extra cost to UA will be very large. I doubt UA is planning extra expense for this feature. We (as in those that fly UA frequently or know to do a token transaction) would be better off with expiring miles.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I think this is of limited benefit to those of us active on FT. How difficult is it to have some activity over 18 months?
relatively difficult if you live outside of the USA, and Mileage Plus is not your main program
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I think this is a welcome change, just as long as they don’t pay for it by cutting back the one ounce portion of chicken served with the tasteless noodle salad to a half ounce portion. I mean, enough is enough! The madness has got to stop.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I think this is a welcome change, just as long as they don’t pay for it by cutting back the one ounce portion of chicken served with the tasteless noodle salad to a half ounce portion...
I tend to agree with those that this change creates little or no real cost to UA, so it shouldn't be the direct reason for some compensating cutback. However, it does not seem UA's has needed those sort of justifications for other cutbacks. .

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 30, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One fewer program to maintain on the system
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by johnden
3) More people will get the UA credit card, increasing the number of outstanding miles/liability and therefore we can expect accelerated devaluation of the miles
Why would more ppl get the cc? I for one am considering to cancel. Was really only keeping it to get the free club passes and checked bag as well as to have the peace of mind knowing my miles don't expire. But I'm not desperate for the former 2 perks and now my miles won't expire anyway so I don't need it. To earn UA miles I can transfer from any of my UR earning cards.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I have what I think is a simple question about my mileage plus account. I received a letter from UA saying if I don't fly a United flight within the next 6 months I will lose the nearly 100,000 miles in my account. Next month I am flying Lufthansa J LAX to FRA then on to Lisbon on TAP. Returning on AC. Wont the fact that I am flying on partner airlines negate the need to fly on an actual UA flight? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Srklaw7
I have what I think is a simple question about my mileage plus account. I received a letter from UA saying if I don't fly a United flight within the next 6 months I will lose the nearly 100,000 miles in my account.
Didn't they just announce that UA miles will NEVER expire

UA announcement that miles never expire
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Srklaw7
I have what I think is a simple question about my mileage plus account. I received a letter from UA saying if I don't fly a United flight within the next 6 months I will lose the nearly 100,000 miles in my account. Next month I am flying Lufthansa J LAX to FRA then on to Lisbon on TAP. Returning on AC. Wont the fact that I am flying on partner airlines negate the need to fly on an actual UA flight? Any help would be appreciated.
I thought any earning/redeeming activity pushed the expiration date 18 months forward. Sounds beyond bizarre that it's UA flight only

Given that they announced miles never expire it shouldn't even be relevant. Sounds to me like a glitch in the system still sending out reminders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.