Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Choice Points Q&A [Consolidated] (Moved to Chase.com, renamed Pay Yourself Back)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
January 2024 -- Moved to Chase.com and renamed Pay Your Self Back
Noted -- The Chase Annual Fee had moved in 2011, now the flight reimbursement has moved and UA Choices site closed.
  • Sign into your account here
  • Click on "More" on the top right corner of your account page
  • Select "Rewards dashboard" from the menu
  • Choose "Use MileagePlus miles with Pay Yourself Back" on the top navigation bar
The Choices Points program was started in 2006 and is a method for using Chase MP branded earned miles (RDMs) to "pay" for a UA ticket charged to the credit card. These tickets are normal paid tickets and fully earn miles and elite credit. Statement credit redemption is at 1 cpm. (minimums applied, maximum is ticket cost)

Additionally, you can "pay" your Chase annual card fee. (rate varies, in 2020/2021 it has been increased to 1.5 cpm)

Note flight miles and miles from other sources are not eligible. Signup bonuses have qualified in the past.

There were other features originally, such as purchasing EQMs, but that has been discontinued.

To redeem or see balance, go to www.united.com/Choices

MileagePlus Choices® Terms and Conditions Aug 2021

Important: Your participation in MileagePlus Choices® ("Choices") is governed by (i) the following terms and conditions and (ii) the MileagePlus® Program Rules found on united.com and expressly incorporated herein by reference (collectively the "Choices Terms and Conditions"). It is your responsibility to read and understand all of them. The Choices Terms and Conditions cannot be superseded or changed, except in writing from United Airlines, or any of its affiliates, (collectively, "United").

General conditions
Choices is offered at the discretion of United and United has the right to terminate Choices, in whole or in part, or to change the Choices Terms and Conditions, benefits and conditions of participation, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice, even though changes may affect the value of benefits already accumulated.

"You" and "your" means the primary Cardmember on the MileagePlus credit card account and whose MileagePlus account number is associated with the account ("Cardmember"). "MileagePlus credit card" includes United branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. ("Chase") that accrue MileagePlus award miles.

Award miles accrued with your MileagePlus credit card and transferred to your MileagePlus account based on eligible card activity, including, but not limited to, credit card purchases, Chase promotional offers, and anniversary renewals, are available for use in Choices. Award miles earned (i) for flight activity, (ii) through MileagePlus partners, (iii) for Chase non-credit card activity including, but not limited to, debit/check card purchases or home equity advances, and (iv) for activity that is rewarded by third parties as bonuses associated with use of the MileagePlus credit card will be credited to your MileagePlus award miles balance but are not eligible for use in Choices. Your Choices balance is a subset of your MileagePlus award miles balance and not a separate balance. Your Choices balance can be found by visiting www.united.com/choices. You must have previously earned award miles with your MileagePlus credit card and be a current Cardmember to be able to login. Also, if you close your MileagePlus credit card account, you will forfeit your Choices balance.

Award miles accrued with your MileagePlus credit card will continue to be reflected in your award miles balance. In addition to the options available to MileagePlus members, Choices offers more ways to use miles that are exclusive to Cardmembers. Any Choices activity using award miles will result in a reduction of your MileagePlus award miles balance. You cannot have a greater Choices balance than your MileagePlus award miles balance.

The MileagePlus account number used for both Choices and the credit card account where the MileagePlus award miles were earned must be the same. You must be the primary Cardmember to use Choices. You cannot use your award miles through Choices for a statement credit on another person's MileagePlus credit card account.

Choices Airfare Statement Credit
To use Choices for an airfare statement credit, purchase any United ticket on united.com with your MileagePlus credit card. Flights purchased through any other source, such as United General Reservations, United Vacations, travel agencies or other travel websites, are not eligible. When the purchase posts to your credit card account, login at www.united.com/chase to use award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card for an airfare statement credit against that charge.

No blackouts means any flight available on united.com can be purchased for Choices any day of the year. No inventory restriction indicates that any open seat on any available flight on united.com is eligible for Choices. Award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card can be used against a ticket purchased on united.com through Choices for an airfare statement credit up to the full cost of the ticket.

Airfare statement credit requested may not exceed the ticket purchase amount charged to your MileagePlus credit card. Partial statement credits are allowed with a minimum of 5,000 award miles. However, only one statement credit request can be made per unique transaction.

You must submit your request within 90 days of the ticket purchase date.

Award miles are deducted at time of request. Please allow 5-7 days for the credit to appear on your credit card account. Since award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card are reflected in your MileagePlus account balance, any activity through Choices will result in a reduction in your MileagePlus account balance. Use of award miles through Choices for an airfare statement credit made on or near the end of your monthly billing cycle may take up to one billing cycle to appear on your monthly billing statement. You are responsible for making your monthly credit card payment according to the terms and conditions of your account to avoid any late fees or finance charges.

For rejected requests, award miles initially deducted will be reversed.

E-mail confirmation will be sent to you to indicate a successful redemption and statement credit posting to your credit card account.

The MileagePlus account number used for both Choices and the credit card account where the MileagePlus award miles were earned must be the same. You must be the primary MileagePlus Cardmember to use Choices. You cannot use your award miles through Choices for an airfare statement credit on another person's MileagePlus credit card account.

Airline ticket changes, cancellations and refunds are subject to the rules of the airline ticket.

Award miles used in Choices cannot be returned or re-deposited by you.

MileagePlus and Chase reserve the right to reverse Choices air statement credits where the original ticket purchase is refunded. Award miles used will be re-deposited in your account and the Choices airfare statement credit will be reversed on your MileagePlus credit card account. In the event a reversal is required, an administrative fee of 2,500 award miles may be deducted from your MileagePlus account and will appear on your MileagePlus statement as an adjustment.

The number of award miles required depends upon the cost of the airline ticket including all taxes and fees and the amount of the airfare statement credit requested. You are responsible for all associated taxes, airport security charges, baggage fees, fuel surcharges and other usage fees required for travel. These charges will be included in the overall calculation to determine the number of award miles required for the airfare statement credit. The number of award miles required is subject to change at any time without notice.

Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement
Current Cardmembers may apply award miles through Choices towards one Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement per MileagePlus credit card account per 12-month period ("Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement"). Award miles used for an Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement cannot be returned or re-deposited.

Cardmember must submit an Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement request within 90 days of the annual membership fee transaction date on your credit card account.

The amount of the Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement requested may not exceed the annual membership fee billed to your monthly billing statement. One Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement request (full or partial) per 12 month period is allowed per credit card account.

Award miles are deducted from your MileagePlus account at the time you make your request. Please allow 5-7 days for the Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement to appear on your credit card account. Requests for an Annual Membership Fee Reimbursement made on or near the end of your monthly billing cycle may take up to one billing cycle to appear on your monthly billing statement. You are still responsible for making your monthly credit card payment according to the terms and conditions of your account to avoid any late fees or finance charges.

For rejected requests, award miles initially deducted will be reversed.

E-mail confirmation will be sent to you to indicate a successful redemption and statement credit posting to your credit card account.
Original pre-merger thread on Choice Points

Print Wikipost

MP Choice Points Q&A [Consolidated] (Moved to Chase.com, renamed Pay Yourself Back)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, No other status because my company hates me.

I was searching around and saw the MileagePlus Choices program info, and it looks like it would be cheaper (miles-wise) to redeem through there than with straight award miles. I couldn't see anything recent. Does it still exist for non-elite MP Explorer card holders?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmckim
I was searching around and saw the MileagePlus Choices program info, and it looks like it would be cheaper (miles-wise) to redeem through there than with straight award miles. I couldn't see anything recent. Does it still exist for non-elite MP Explorer card holders?
You can see your Choices balance @ http:www.united.com/Choices
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Originally Posted by bmckim
Not sure why you're saying it would be "cheaper" as the redemption there is 1 cpm
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Not sure why you're saying it would be "cheaper" as the redemption there is 1 cpm
Say the Award mileage is 50K ( say a Standard Domestic) but the ticket is $400. Via the Choices program it would be 40K miles -- hence cheaper is terms of mileage needed. Not a great cpm but for the mileage-rich it might be the best option.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, No other status because my company hates me.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Say the Award mileage is 50K ( say a Standard Domestic) but the ticket is $400. Via the Choices program it would be 40K miles -- hence cheaper is terms of mileage needed. Not a great cpm but for the mileage-rich it might be the best option.
That's exactly my situation. Reward would be 37,500. Ticket is about 275. So its a savings in comparing the two. And while not huge, it is my understanding that you get the miles off the flight whereas if it is reward flight, you don't.

Last edited by bmckim; Feb 15, 2015 at 6:37 am Reason: Added sentance.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
MP Choices still exist?

Yes, not the best CPM but that isn't necessarily the best metric to use for everyone all the time. Getting good value looks different to everyone.

Also, choices basically allows you to get a miles + money award. Can't do that anymore any other way.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow! Never knew of this Program, just used the link up thread and see that I have in excess of 125K Points(Miles) for this Program. Just cant find out about what it offers.. Any suggestions? Its also stated upthread that you earn mileage when you travel with this offier? (are upgrades possible too, I assume so since it MP Explorer related) Where can I find out all the Details? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
You buy a regular ticket on your M+ Visa (which earns PQM and PQD), then after it posts to your M+ card, you enter the transaction number into the Choices website and M+ credits you for the cost of the ticket and deduct comparative mileage from your RDM balance ($200 ticket costs 20K miles). It works well when your ticket price is less than the available mileage award comparison, and is even OK if at par as you earn PQM/PQD where you don't on a mileage award ticket. Yes, CPU/RPU/GPU are available as the ticket is a normal fare for all other purposes. Redemption instructions are on the Choices page after you login (see hyperlinks there for more details).

Last edited by azzurro; Feb 15, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If Im following your Math correctly: Whatever the total Charge is for your UA ticket (and when that value posts to your UA Explorer Credit Card), say.. ($310.00) Multiply that Figure by (100) and thats how many Choices Miles will be deducted? I see that Chioces are a subset of your Total MP Balance.. However, I was excited for a Moment! as I read up thread that the Conversion is (1cpm) not the Multplier of (100) therefore, I thought a ($310.00) Ticket would be (310)Choice Miles Am I correct with my math? Thanks and Safe Travels

UPDATE: Just Found this very detailed explanation via Google:
http://www.milespointsandmaitais.com...eplus-choices/

(Mods are we allowed to post a link like this, if so great, if not please delete)

Last edited by Flying Machine; Feb 15, 2015 at 9:47 am
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:23 pm

The Choices program is a Chase benefit on all Chase MP branded cards that allow miles (RDMs) earned via credit card activity (but not flying or MP mile bonuses) to be used for reimbursing credit card purchases including flights and annual fee .... T&Cs and balance

Some older threads on Choices program: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-primer.html

The one major change from the initial program is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-annually.html

Chase has also dropped the hotel and rental car redemption option.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
... ($310.00) Multiply that Figure by (100) and thats how many Choices Miles will be deducted? ....
correct a $310 ticket would take 31,000 Choice Points / RDMs and the ticket is considered a $$$ purchased ticket not an award ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm Reason: hotrl and car option dropped
Old Feb 15, 2015, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We canceled our old Select cards last year, and got Explorer cards a few months later. I figured our old Choices would have gone away, but it appears they're still there for us.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:24 am

Reading the Mileage Plus terms and conditions on the United Site I see:

"To redeem for a statement credit, purchase any airline ticket on united.com with your MileagePlus credit card. ..." then ... "When the purchase posts to your credit card account, login at www.united.com/chase to redeem award miles earned with your MileagePlus credit card for a statement credit against that charge.

I'm not getting much clarity about the operation of this by calling United however, or my credit card support phone number. They want to refer me back to United reservations who I've found to be clueless. So ... let's say I want to book a flight (round trip) to Europe that "costs" 150k miles (points) each way. I have 180k miles in my account. Cost of the round trip is 3k. Can I purchase the tickets on my Mileage PLus credit card through united, then the 3k shows up on my credit card balance, then use miles to reduce some of the balance? How do I determine how much the 180k miles will be worth ... in other words how much of a reduction in my balance will I get?

Or am I misunderstanding the terms and conditions? If this redemption process "works" it appears I could just search by price rather than awards, book the flight and get my costs reduced by using miles, more or less freely rather than wasting hours looking for awards flights.

UPDATE:
To follow up on my post from 10:24 a.m. after an hour on the phone with various "experts" from United. You can go to united.com/choices and redeem your miles. It's buried in their menu system on ways to use miles ... there is a screen to redeem miles. It appears they charge 100k miles for 1k in ticket price. There is a concept I never heard of before called "choices program balance". In my case I have 182k award miles but only 112k in my "choices program balance". That (112k) is apparently the amount that I'll be able to use to reduce my credit card balance. The first expert I talked to said that partial charges would not work ... in other words that I had to have enough miles to pay the full charge. However, rereading their terms and conditions, it says that partial credits will be allowed. I called back and someone named Chelsea in their Mileage Plus Service center confirmed that. We'll see. Anyone have any experience with this "choices program balance" or other insights on maximizing the benefits of this redemption approach.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Do You Still Earn PQM's and PQD's If Get UA/Chase Credit Card Statement Credit

For some reason, my OCD has prevented me from redeeming any miles as they approach a pretty high level. With the recent speculation about changes on the horizon for the MileagePlus program, I figured I better start using some of these benefits before the rules of the game change. In the past, any benefit I thought was the best-- always went away (for example, before they introduced the co-pay PLUS miles upgrade, you could almost always upgrade in advance on the PS flights to and from LAX-JFK when seats to and from LAX-EWR were, from my experience, never available in advance). The benefit for Presidential Plus and other UA/Chase cardmembers to get a statement credit seems too good to last. Therefore, I think I am going to cash in a business class ticket somewhere. My question is whether I still earn PQD's and PQM's on my original purchase if I get a statement credit for the entire airfare? If yes, is there a way I can ask someone (who?) officially to confirm this and document it somewhere before I make the large purchase (thinking I have then made 1K for next year in the PQD and PQM categories) and then seek the statement credit? Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
You're overthinking this. UA will award PQD/PQM based on your spend with them on the ticket. The credit provided is between you and Chase, which can be applied any purchases, UA or not.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You're overthinking this. UA will award PQD/PQM based on your spend with them on the ticket. The credit provided is between you and Chase, which can be applied any purchases, UA or not.
The OP is talking about choices, which are a subset of miles that can be applied for an offset of the cost of a ticket purchase (at $0.01/mile) for tickets purchases on a Chase-branded card, using miles earned from Chase-branded activity.

Given the mileage earning is 1-2 miles per $, this turns miles into an effective 1%-2% "cash-back" card for these particular transactions. You can find many many cards which give you this for all purchases, so I do not find this particular benefit out of line with the rest of the CC industry.

To answer the OP question, yes you still earn PQM and PQD for these flights. What's more, you still also earn bonus miles from Chase for these transactions.

Note, the choices program has been really reduced.. it used to offer 5k eqm for 50000 choices. A good offer which I have used in the past to just creep over the 1k threshold. It was silently discontinues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.