Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Assuming someone, somewhere in the company will read this - if one wishes to burn 10K-50K RDM (from the legacy MP Plat Visa card) for "Elevated status – Reach Premier® status faster with up to 5,000 Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM)", you get an error message that reads:

Miles earned on your MileagePlus credit card must be redeemed by 11:59pm CST on December 30, 2012 to count towards 2013 Premier status.

This used to be done online very easy, but I'm guessing, like many other situations, is much more of a manual process now.

Just add this to the list of FTers being the beta testers for ual.com

TYVM
Old May 5, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Chase MP Choices PQM redemption gone?

I've currently been reviewing what my flying/mileage will look like through the end of the year and it looks like I may end up needing to use the Chase Choices program for get a few 1000 PQM in November in order to make sure I maintain status. When I went to the Choices program page at United.com/choices just to look, the option for PQM redemption is there but when you click on it and then enter in your information to choose a redemption level there is an error message that says all Choices PQM redemption must have occurred before December 30th 2012. I know it's not a big deal since I don't need this right now but is UA just being slow to update the website to 2013, or is this part of the Choices program being discontinued this year in another change that nobody at UA bothered to tell anyone about?
Old May 5, 2013, 10:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This has been an issue every year for many years -- they don't seem to get around of resetting the cutoff dates until later in the year.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm a step ahead of you!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ar-2013-a.html
Old May 17, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation

Hopefully this is just a pre-cursor to putting the new link up for 2013 - but now there is no option to "redeem miles for elevated status" like their normally is.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Angry Uh-oh

Pinged UA CS on this and got a pretty quick, albeit unsatisfying answer:

I’m sorry, but the MileagePlus Choices program option to redeem miles earned on your credit card for Premier Qualifying Miles/Segments is no longer available. However, the option to redeem for a statement credit against a united.com ticket purchase, or a credit card annual fee is still available.
Hopefully it's temporary.

Yet another sneaky unannounced 'change we'll like'
Old May 24, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N515CR
Pinged UA CS on this and got a pretty quick, albeit unsatisfying answer:

Hopefully it's temporary.

Yet another sneaky unannounced 'change we'll like'
Yes, the information for redeeming for PQM's appears to be gone. Was there just weeks ago when I looked, now it only lists air and annual fee. Unannounced is right. I did not get any change in terms and conditions from UA or Chase about this. Went to United.com/choices to look.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:25 pm

I've pinged Chase to see what they say...could be interesting...
Old May 29, 2013, 11:03 am

Chase's response yesterday directed me back to United.

Called MP this morning, and the agent could only give me the ambiguous "no longer available" mantra.

I'm chalking this up to another change I don't like and calling it a day.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N515CR
Called MP this morning, and the agent could only give me the ambiguous "no longer available" mantra.

I'm chalking this up to another change I don't like and calling it a day.
Wow, great news if true (facetiously)...another benefit taken away without any notice whatsoever
Old May 29, 2013, 11:18 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
This is terrible! Silently eliminating more card benefits?

Doubtless UA will eventually (after being called out on it) come back and say that this was not a popular option, etc., etc. so to better serve customers they removed it--but removing an optional benefit never makes anyone "better" off, whether they would have used it (worse off) or not (indifferent)!
Old May 29, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
This was always a nice emergency option if short of EQMs at the end of the year (albeit pricey to "buy" up to 5K EQMs for 50k RDMs) to top off to a higher status back in the PMUA days. If this option is truly removed, just another open sore...
Old May 29, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
This is terrible! Silently eliminating more card benefits?

Doubtless UA will eventually (after being called out on it) come back and say that this was not a popular option, etc., etc. so to better serve customers they removed it--but removing an optional benefit never makes anyone "better" off, whether they would have used it (worse off) or not (indifferent)!
But, on balance, no foreign transaction fees for Explorer card holders!
Old May 29, 2013, 11:38 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mherdeg
But, on balance, no foreign transaction fees for Explorer card holders!
Good point, they will advertise completely unrelated benefits in the "explanation" notice. They may put in a plug for Elite Maximizer $$$ option as well.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like it's done for

Got a similar message from 1KVoice as the above - really underhanded of them to eliminate the benefit with no notice whatsoever

I’m sorry, but the MileagePlus Choices program option to redeem miles earned on your credit card for Premier Qualifying Miles/Segments is no longer available. However, the option to redeem for a statement credit against a united.com ticket purchase, or a credit card annual fee is still available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.