Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
This makes me wonder when the next devaluation is coming...
The big devaluation is here with the dynamic pricing. That totally destroys the sweet spots. One of the reasons Avios are gold. IB will open J award during middle of the summer season at a fix (chart) cost. That is all gone for DL, UA and AA. So, hopping UA still has availability on partner Star Alliance carriers at fix (chart) cost for miles.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:37 am

I know most folks are after premium cabin redemptions, but I am most curious to see what happens to domestic Y award pricing. I assume whatever happens, it probably cannot be good.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Superfluous if you fly often. Inconsequential in relation to devaluation through “dynamic pricing”. A slight incentive to consider alternatives to the Chase card. Essentiall cost-free PR gesture by the gnomes in Willis Tower
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
This is a benefit for families with younger kids that can’t have CCs and fly “once in a while”

Yes dynamic pricing is bad but let’s not be so cynical, this on its own is a good move for customers.
drewguy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bman1002
I know most folks are after premium cabin redemptions, but I am most curious to see what happens to domestic Y award pricing. I assume whatever happens, it probably cannot be good.
Anyone who flies less than once every 18 mos. on United probably is accruing fewer than 10,000 miles/year (except the rare one-off paid biz ticket), if not less. At that rate it will take 3-5 years to accrue enough for a domestic Y ticket in most instance. Hardly going to lead to a large uptick in redemptions.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Yes dynamic pricing is bad but let’s not be so cynical, this on its own is a good move for customers.
I really don't think it is good for customers. There is always a cost to these things. The status quo was just fine as it was.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Like most of us on here, this change won;'t affect me, since I easily do multiple transactions with UA that earn miles. But, my comments:

Originally Posted by garykung
Here is my guess - this is a response to Chase.

If you transfer UR to UA, you will still be subject to the standard 18-month expiration policy. But if your miles is earned directly with UA (including cobrand credit card), your miles will no longer expire...
Doubt this is much of a response to Chase. If I had to guess, more for a handful of travelers who might fly once or twice a year, who might think ahead that eventually, they'll get something, and don't have to worry about them expiring. They might fly UA one trip, spirit the next, then back to UA, and they always know they'll have something,

Originally Posted by Starman
If this is the case, I don't understand how they could separately keep track of UR miles versus UA-earned miles in an account, short of implementing entirely new software to recognize and track two different flavors of miles. At the moment these two earnings are invisibly co-mingled.
They certainly can...and already do. Thing FlexMiles on the PP card, and the Choices program on the older UA cards - while you can't redeem for PQM, you can still use those miles earned on a CC to redeem for the card annual fee, or a credit for booked travel (I think its $0.01/mile...not great, but its an option).

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Worrisome as they seem to be copying DL. Really hope the miles won't be devalued as aggressively.
Copying DL? From multiple years ago? Does it really matter? This either won't matter to you (because you already earn/redeem within the previous 18 month period), or it benefits you because you only travel occasionally, and now don't have to worry about expiry. Either way, not sure what it matters of UAs motivation.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I think this is of limited benefit to those of us active on FT. How difficult is it to have some activity over 18 months?
Correct.

Originally Posted by bhunt
Any chance they get rid of the Ridiculous high transfer cost of $7.50 per 500 miles to other mp accts? Would love to transfer miles to family members.
Doubtful. I'm guessing they don't want to pass up that revenue.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
We’ve heard feedback from customers that mile expiration is a pain point. We believe that miles are earned, and we want them to be used, so we are excited to announce, starting today, MileagePlus award miles will never expire!

There are no changes to the expiration of TravelBank cash, flex PQMs, RPUs and GPUs.

Learn more: Redirecting...

- UA Insider
Thanks. Any chance, speaking of TravelBank, that we'll be able to once again make deposits again at some point somehow? Aside from the United.com Club (which is in the process of closing), and through the TravelBank card, I don't think there are any other ways to do this anymore. Would love to see the gift registry come back.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IMhO, let us remember that this is the company that changed the definition of lifetime.

I don't think its far fetched they would not feel too bad for changing the definition of "never" down the road.
They already did before. At one point, miles didn't expire (I can't remember if that was pre- or post- UA merger), and they changed it back. Never doesn't really mean never....for now it does.

Originally Posted by username
They really have no choice but to not have mileage expiration. Otherwise, too many people will give up as they can never reach the goalpost of redeeming for tickets with dynamic pricing.
I don't know if no choice is really correct. It's not like you have to redeem an award every 18 months, just that you need a transaction.

Originally Posted by manstein58
Superfluous if you fly often. Inconsequential in relation to devaluation through “dynamic pricing”. A slight incentive to consider alternatives to the Chase card. Essentiall cost-free PR gesture by the gnomes in Willis Tower
This. They may have more outstanding miles in the system, but they have an unprecedented amount of control on how folks can redeem with dynamic pricing - allowing them to change pricing at will to basically whatever they want, and still having the ability to not allow redemptions on specific (busy) flights. They still have all the control, and really, more control then ever.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bman1002
No need to wait, go ahead and look now. Although, I am not sure I see much difference before and after November 15th (it all looks terrible).
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Let's face it: this is United's BIG RESPONSE to the fact that every other rewards card (Amex Blue, Gold, Plat; Chase Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) is eating their lunch. I used to run up around $100K/year on the UA Club Card. Now it's about $2K. UA did their survey and everybody told them they don't want worthless miles at a low earn-rate. So instead of maintaining the miles' value or increasing the earnings rate, they did this pathetic measure. It's not going to work. I'm surprised they're that obtuse.

Last edited by porciuscato; Aug 28, 2019 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
If history is anything to go by, positive news from United invariably is followed by negative news.
The positive thing normally costs UA nothing, but the negative one saves them heaps.
I'll be looking out for some bad news in the next week to 10 days....
[/cynical]
Not cynical.......an experienced optimist
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Let's face it: this is United's BIG RESPONSE to the fact that every other rewards card (Amex Blue, Gold, Plat; Chase Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) is eating their lunch. I used to run up around $100K/year on the UA Club Card. Now it's about $2K. UA did their survey and everybody told them they don't want worthless miles at a low earn-rate. So instead of maintaining the miles' value or increasing the earnings rate, they did this pathetic measure. It's not going to work. I'm surprised they're that obtuse.
Taking nothing away from your analysis, but it has been said that no one ever ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:49 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Makes sense. Majority of expired miles probably only had a couple thousand miles at best. They’re probably hoping to incentive those occasional flyers to select UA basic over the other basic fares/budget airlines for the “lifetime miles”.

The real problem for UA is that this lifetime thing won’t mean anything or have any advantage once the other airlines add the lifetime wording to their miles...
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This comes about 5 years too late for my wife and myself. In 2014, we both lost our United accounts. We had tried to save the miles by getting magazines but 3 weeks was not enough time for the process to occur. At that time, we had other worries such as selling our house for a move to the UK so let it go. After all, our main airline was US Airways...... And then it became BA....

Two years later, we did come back to the US to a location where United was the common sense choice. When my account was closed, I did not lose many miles as I had only occasionally flown with United. My wife did not lose many miles as she had used her miles for Business Class tickets on international long-hauls. But, now, that reluctantly she rejoined United (in her mind we were going to keep our BA Gold and Silver levels), she realized that she lost 300,000 United lifetime miles. She had that lost account since 1986.....
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is bad news indeed. For all of flying a lot, this can't be what we were hoping for. Nice PR for UA, bad news for us.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
This is a benefit for families with younger kids that can’t have CCs and fly “once in a while”

Yep, just a copy and paste to what DL did years ago. Next one, AA (yes, talking to you Fort Worth). Men, what an easy job at UA & AA. Hey guys, just look at DL and copy paste with our own name

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.