Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Announces MileagePlus Miles Never Expire
Airline continues to make improvements to its award-winning MileagePlus loyalty program

CHICAGO, Aug. 28, 2019

-- United Airlines announced that effective immediately, MileagePlus award miles never expire, giving members a lifetime to use miles on flights, experiences, hotels and more.

"We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit," said Luc Bondar, vice president of loyalty and president of MileagePlus at United. "Our MileagePlus program provides customers more ways to earn and use miles than any other U.S. airline. More customers used miles to book award trips in 2018 than in any year before, and we expect with today's announcement that even more will use miles to travel the world in the years to come."
Print Wikipost

United announces "MileagePlus Miles Never Expire" (effective immediately 28 Aug 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Worrisome as they seem to be copying DL. Really hope the miles won't be devalued as aggressively.
Pretty soon we would see sub million mile redemption to DPS from the US.

Originally Posted by bhunt
Any chance they get rid of the Ridiculous high transfer cost of $7.50 per 500 miles to other mp accts? Would love to transfer miles to family members.
What's DL's playbook? $0.01 per mile - increment of 1,000 miles, so $10 per 1,000
thinthin likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I see the same thing. Nice change but coincides with their Delta-peso-fication of MileagePlus. And since I had the credit card and at least, some, activity this doesn't really impact me. Get how it's better for more general members of MileagePlus
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Delta
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
I don't want to rain on this parade, but when you look at Point 28 in the MileagePlus Program Rules still up on UA's website, you still see the statement:

28. Any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined in Rule 11 above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such Member’s membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I don't know why everyone is excited about this. This increases UAL's liability so be prepared for a very nice devaluation (Delta-esque dynamic awards) to accompany this nice change.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by naumank
If this is true, how would it benefit customers ? The longer one holds the miles, the less the miles will be worth.
Because not all customers are road warriors. Many people in the real world beyond FT may only fly a few times a year, and they could easily go over 18 months without flying UA. There are also many people who primarily fly other airlines, but may occasionally fly UA. They are definitely not going to earn enough miles to be redeemed every year.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. When was the last time there was a good MP surprise?
If history is anything to go by, positive news from United invariably is followed by negative news.
The positive thing normally costs UA nothing, but the negative one saves them heaps.
I'll be looking out for some bad news in the next week to 10 days....
[/cynical]
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
This increases UAL's liability so be prepared for a very nice devaluation...
With dynamic pricing your miles can be devalued at will by UA on a spot / situational basis, so I don't know what else there is to prepare for.

Today's news is a weak and insufficient effort to shore up public faith in a crashing currency. When people are earning miles at glacial, stingy rates and have no clue what they're worth until they attempt redemption, the "Who cares?" factor outweighs the expiry-date factor for most.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:17 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seenitall
I don't want to rain on this parade, but when you look at Point 28 in the MileagePlus Program Rules still up on UA's website, you still see the statement:

28. Any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined in Rule 11 above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such Member’s membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration.

My guess is not updated yet--that line has been in there for years and years now. This wouldn't be the first time that United changed policy and didn't update the fine print. With all the gripes I (we) have with United, I'm going Hanlon's Razor on this one.

While this change doesn't affect me, saves the few thousand in my kids' accounts.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I think this is of limited benefit to those of us active on FT. How difficult is it to have some activity over 18 months?
I agree for FTers most will do some UA flying or CC one would think. That said, I have flown 90 lifetime flights with WN but not for the last 6 years at all. So I could see someone not flying UA at all if they are say a DL or AA etc loyalist. Me, I fly UA at least once per year for shear convenience.

IMHO - it is copying DL so they can devalue them over time.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:34 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Introducing MileagePlus miles that never expire

We’ve heard feedback from customers that mile expiration is a pain point. We believe that miles are earned, and we want them to be used, so we are excited to announce, starting today, MileagePlus award miles will never expire!

There are no changes to the expiration of TravelBank cash, flex PQMs, RPUs and GPUs.

Learn more: Redirecting...

- UA Insider
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
United will retroactively restore miles for those whose miles expired in July/August 2019. That's also a nice gesture.
coolbeans202 and getagb like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IMhO, let us remember that this is the company that changed the definition of lifetime.

I don't think its far fetched they would not feel too bad for changing the definition of "never" down the road.
BearX220 and roberto99 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
While this change doesn't affect me, saves the few thousand in my kids' accounts.
I read that as "While this change doesn't affect me, saves the few thousand of my kids' accounts."

I definitely need stronger reading glasses...
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:00 am

Thank you, UA! This is awesome news! It's nice to see an airline adding back benefits to its loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.