Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL360, Marriott Ambassdor
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
My DL Q1 was under $10k and 2019 was barely $50k so I would expect I'd be one of the last to be renewed.
When did you end up hearing from them/what did they have to say? Of course, very curious as apparently i've been ghosted
Old May 3, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by manstein58
Too much whittling away yet to be done by Kirby and his henchmen on Mileage Plus to worry about United's most valued customers
First time GS here, flew three flights and then got shut down.

Other than what we've already been told, I don't believe we will be hearing anything from UA regarding status.

"We're pleased to confirm that you've requalified for Premier 1Kstatus for 2021. We will review 2021 United Global Services invitations at year-end.

It is bizarre to me that they're extending status for all other flyers yet neglecting GS, especially when AA and DL are showing their top-tier flyers how much they value their business. If UA doesn't do the same, I'll be switching airlines next year.
kb1992, Dyce, njs281 and 1 others like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just curious about those who have stated they would switch airlines next year if UA does not extend GS for another year:

1. Does this mean you will be a free agent in 2021 and just fly the airlines that offer the best services for the air fares within your budget?

2. Forget about your extended 1K status in 2021 (being a GS member in 2020) and benefits, start scratch as a general member, lower tiered elite members or 1K equivalent members in another program, and work your way up to GC (AA) or 360 (DL) status by the end of 2021.

3. You already have your GC or 360 extended, so leaving UA is a no brainer.

For 3, there is no brainer to switch. For 1 and 2, one has to sacrifice GS benefits in 2020 or 1K status in 2021 to do it, is it worth the sacrifice? UA may significantly reduce GS qualification threshold for 2021.

What are the considerations for making the switch other than not getting GS extended?
Old May 4, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
What are the considerations for making the switch other than not getting GS extended?
Honestly, I'm starting to believe even 2021 will be a partially open travel year at best between border closings, restrictions, and virus spread. We probably won't see a year like 2019 again until at least 2022 or 2023. So hey, I'm taking things one day at a time right now. I'll travel when I can and it makes sense, and take whoever is most convenient for me if GS isn't there to incentivize me. (and most convenient is still often gonna be UA, being DC based...)
UA_Flyer, drklain, Dyce and 1 others like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 8:58 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Honestly, I'm starting to believe even 2021 will be a partially open travel year at best between border closings, restrictions, and virus spread. We probably won't see a year like 2019 again until at least 2022 or 2023. So hey, I'm taking things one day at a time right now. I'll travel when I can and it makes sense, and take whoever is most convenient for me if GS isn't there to incentivize me. (and most convenient is still often gonna be UA, being DC based...)
Interesting, I take exactly the opposite view. My take on things is that we are building up demand for travel, that once the gates open there will be a rapid recovery. In my case, this is the longest I've gone without traveling in many many years. Once the international barriers come down, I will be traveling aggressively to make up for lost time. Anyone who feels video or phone calls are a substitute for customer face time, at least in the high dollar capital equipment world, is kidding themselves, relationships are perishable in a competitive world.
UA_Flyer, COSPILOT, njs281 and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Agreed, but I’m taking the same approach REGARDLESS of whether GS is extended or not...
ironmanjt and drklain like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Interesting, I take exactly the opposite view. My take on things is that we are building up demand for travel, that once the gates open there will be a rapid recovery. In my case, this is the longest I've gone without traveling in many many years. Once the international barriers come down, I will be traveling aggressively to make up for lost time. Anyone who feels video or phone calls are a substitute for customer face time, at least in the high dollar capital equipment world, is kidding themselves, relationships are perishable in a competitive world.
I have no doubt there is some pent-up demand, but the gates will never open - this is going to be very incremental and country by country. It's not like the world will open up again all at once one day.

...and for every story like yours, I'm hearing just as many "my company is realizing how much can be done virtually, and pretty sure I'll never travel as much again."
Old May 4, 2020, 11:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Anyone get an extension on their GS challenge? I got an extra 30 days, which obviously isn't going to help when the end date is May 30th. Bummer because I would have met the challenge easily if it weren't for the pandemic and I will be traveling again as soon as border open.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Both of you provide interesting perspectives. I guess it is down to the specifics of the industry, company and role/job description the person that will impact the business travel patterns.
Domestic business travel aside, international travels are more complicated. Some borders will be open and others will remain close, and there are those may not want American to enter while allow for others.

Speaking for myself, some of my international travels cannot be replaced with virtual meetings, but others will be replaced permanently as businesses have realized certain travels used to be viewed as necessary but it is not the case anymore Virtual meetings can be more productive. I understand if there are oversea's clients/customer related, then it is likely those travels will come back faster, but some of the internal business management and training related travels will likely not coming back. In addition, businesses are trying to find ways to cut cost and keep liquidity in check. There are certain businesses may increase travels because they need to sign up new clients and sell products overseas to survive and travel to meet perspective clients/customers is more important than trying to cut cost and save cash.

There are uncertainties and those uncertainties trigger my earlier questions asking why certain people are so sure they will walk away from UA if GS is not extended. Are people expecting travel to be back to pre-Covid 19 level so soon to generate enough travels to achieve top tiered status from scratch in OAL's program or earn GS equivalent status on AA or DL in 2022 based on anticipated travels within the 12-month period in 2021? If uncertainties hold, would it better off just ride it out with your current GS status on UA and soft-landing to 1K in 2021? Why walk way from with 11X multiples of RDM, extra baggage allowance, upgrades and other benefits during the time of uncertainties?
Old May 4, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Just curious about those who have stated they would switch airlines next year if UA does not extend GS for another year:

1. Does this mean you will be a free agent in 2021 and just fly the airlines that offer the best services for the air fares within your budget?

2. Forget about your extended 1K status in 2021 (being a GS member in 2020) and benefits, start scratch as a general member, lower tiered elite members or 1K equivalent members in another program, and work your way up to GC (AA) or 360 (DL) status by the end of 2021.

3. You already have your GC or 360 extended, so leaving UA is a no brainer.

For 3, there is no brainer to switch. For 1 and 2, one has to sacrifice GS benefits in 2020 or 1K status in 2021 to do it, is it worth the sacrifice? UA may significantly reduce GS qualification threshold for 2021.

I think all your points are valid.

But there is one important factor: human psychology. By refusing extension to the most selected high spending customers, while extending everyone else with elite status, UA is sending a message. This makes many current GS mad.

I really don't understand why UA has decided to alienate its best customers at this most difficult time, given that AA and possibly DL already extended their equivalent GS group.
Dyce and pigzilla like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:20 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by kb1992
I think all your points are valid.

But there is one important factor: human psychology. By refusing extension to the most selected high spending customers, while extending everyone else with elite status, UA is sending a message. This makes many current GS mad.

I really don't understand why UA has decided to alienate its best customers at this most difficult time, given that AA and possibly DL already extended their equivalent GS group.
I'll start by saying I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm LT GS (as the result of many years of consistent travel) that said experience has taught me that my two biggest criteria for choosing an airline are convenience (schedule and # of stops) and habit. If you travel a lot, 200K+ BIS miles a year, you first and foremost concentrate on schedule, because you're always on the move, the airline that most often offers the best schedule becomes the "go to" carrier. I fly United because I fly United, they have good schedules for where I fly most, the experience is predictable, offers no surprises and importantly, I don't have to think. While at times I get annoyed at UA, my brain is hopefully occupied with higher value issues than worrying if the grass is greener on another carrier.

All of this said, I think UA would be foolish not to extend the status of this years GS members, plus add in any new comers that meet the latest "secret" spending criteria. Good luck and I hope we all get flying again (safely) soon.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
If UA does not extend, and I end up 1K next year, then I'll just go with whatever has the best schedule. I can quickly get highest published status on another airline -- whether through a match or simply by flying. I'd rather fly what's most convenient and get mid/high status on multiple airlines than be completely locked into UA. UA GS is special enough that I'll go out of my way to fly UA even if it's not the most convenient because I value the benefits of PN and tcon upgrades. 1K simply isn't. I'd rather fly B6 Mint, AA tcon first, LH First, etc.
Dyce likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 10:01 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
This makes many current GS mad.
Perhaps many in this thread. As always, flyertalk is a subset of the population. Those with solid year-over-year travel know not to worry, and most GS are probably thinking about other things right now anyway. This is probably only an issue in this thread.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
If UA does not extend, and I end up 1K next year, then I'll just go with whatever has the best schedule. I can quickly get highest published status on another airline -- whether through a match or simply by flying. I'd rather fly what's most convenient and get mid/high status on multiple airlines than be completely locked into UA. UA GS is special enough that I'll go out of my way to fly UA even if it's not the most convenient because I value the benefits of PN and tcon upgrades. 1K simply isn't. I'd rather fly B6 Mint, AA tcon first, LH First, etc.
This! I can't tell you how many times I've added a connection just to fly UA metal to attain/keep GS. If moved back down to 1K or no incentive beyond 1K, will go back to booking based on itinerary, price, and/or best hard product. No more stretching to ensure always flying UA metal.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:39 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
This narrative certainly applies to me. With my travel ending abruptly in mid-March, I will have to fit the balance of the year travel in probably the 90 days after things are functionally open again (not just my comfort with travelling but the counter-parties we're meeting with being comfortable with having in-office guests). I will say though, I'll likely be doing more multi-city multi-day trips than my typical one RT a week which would be 1-2 days which probably means I'll be marginally less profitable to UA with just fewer outright legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.