Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by almostfrench0612
I was only at 41k PQD (all UA metal) so not terribly optimistic. I do most of my PQMs on paid intl J and I wasn’t able to travel internationally in Q1 last year which brought my PQDs down. My CPM is very high though at c50cpm (c 80k BIS miles and 140k PQM) so that’s probably the only thing I have going for me at this stage. Going to seriously miss it if I don’t requalify (especially upgrading intl saver awards!).
I have similar stats as you but with several business international trips. Interesting to see some re-quals though with PQD in the low 40k's and even 39k. I'm trying to stay optimistic!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: UA GS
Seeing SFO and EWR first time quals in the high 40s and requals even in the low 40s - can we put to bed the notion that being from a hub is harder yet? Or that qualifying this year in general was harder?
AugustusM, TavionT and abul01 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:06 am

Just checked status and got notification as well. How do I check 2019 stats now that they have been reset on the website? I can post my stats to the other thread to help people.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kymiller
Just checked status and got notification as well. How do I check 2019 stats now that they have been reset on the website? I can post my stats to the other thread to help people.
2019 numbers are available on http://mystatus.united.com or the raw flight data is available in your UA MP account (for 2019 and 2018) which you can download into a spreadsheet and process.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
The latest round of GS invites lends support to the following principles:

1) ~$50K United metal PQD gets GS regardless of previous years' spend
2) 3-year average > ~$100K lowers the threshold from ~$50K to something lower -- maybe ~$40K
3) "CPM" is irrelevant

Whether home airport plays a role is not so clear. Of course, the rejections will provide a lot more color when they come out.

Here's a smattering of the supporting posts:

CPM is irrelevant:

Originally Posted by dkc715
Requal for third time
PQD:$52K All UA metal
PQM: 480K
CPM (BIS): 14.4 (guess CPM really doesn't matter)
3 Year PQD: $132K
(My own "CPM" last year was .24; it has been much lower in previous years when I qualified)

More than $50K PQD always gets it

Originally Posted by TXAg2010
2019 PQD - $51 ($41k UA/UA Express)
2019 PQM - 146k
2019 PQS - 43.5

2017-2019 PQD - $97k total
Based out of Kansas City
3 yr total > $100K lowers the threshold:

Originally Posted by bsh
Just saw my re-qual notice.

ORD
PQD: 42k
PQM: 115k
cents/BIS mile: 59
Was a bit lower this year on PQD, but last two years PQD were 52k (2017) and 88k (2018).
Originally Posted by LIH

ORD
~$43K UA Metal PQD
$120K trailing 3 year
Originally Posted by bfinkie99
  • 2017 PQD / PQM: $37,804 / 94,112 (100% on UA metal)
  • 2018 PQD / PQM: $35,087 112,351 (almost 100% on UA metal)
  • 2019 PQD: $44,451...
dkc715 likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by porciuscato
More than $50K PQD always gets it
I wish that were true two years ago.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by villox
Seeing SFO and EWR first time quals in the high 40s and requals even in the low 40s - can we put to bed the notion that being from a hub is harder yet? Or that qualifying this year in general was harder?
For example:

I'm a 2020 first-timer GS here based out of EWR with $43K PQD for 2019 and a 3 year PQD of only $71K. Almost exclusively business class international to Asia on all UA metal.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by flynnr
I'm a 2020 first-timer GS here based out of EWR with $43K PQD for 2019 and a 3 year PQD of only $71K. Almost exclusively business class international to Asia on all UA metal.
I'd say you're about the "lowest" datapoint we have of acceptance for a new GS - and out of EWR no less, so that should put the hub theory to rest. Were your Asia fares J? C? D? I can't imagine they were Z or P mostly...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
While some trends may be emerging, small numbers render it nearly impossible to draw any definitive conclusions. Also remember that those on this board make up a tiny, tiny fraction of those getting or not getting GS.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'd say you're about the "lowest" datapoint we have of acceptance for a new GS - and out of EWR no less, so that should put the hub theory to rest. Were your Asia fares J? C? D? I can't imagine they were Z or P mostly...
Here's a breakdown of my 2019 PQM by fare class (all UA metal unless noted)
J: 44,883
C: 49,374
D: 32,916
Z: 29,922
Z (non-UA): 2,349
W: 2,565
T: 2,565

I was VERY surprised when I got the GS status bump. I was not expecting it mostly because I don't have over $100K PQD for the last three years combined. I do have a $14K itinerary in mixed J/C booked later this month which may have helped my case.

Last edited by flynnr; Jan 7, 2020 at 1:40 pm Reason: added clarification on the year
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:19 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flynnr
Here's a breakdown of my 2019 PQM by fare class (all UA metal unless noted)
J: 44,883
C: 49,374
D: 32,916
Z: 29,922
Z (non-UA): 2,349
W: 2,565
T: 2,565

I was VERY surprised when I got the GS status bump. I was not expecting it mostly because I don't have over $100K PQD for the last three years combined. I do have a $14K itinerary in mixed J/C booked later this month which may have helped my case.
I think GS selection is hands-on enough that they may try to target some UHVFs that they think may be booking several $10K+ international J fares on other airlines. If you can find someone who is ticketing 3-4 of those fares with UA but they think if you get a GS nod it may go to 5-10 that would be a big win for UA. Given the potential aggregate revenue at play I wouldn't be surprised if a certain subset of GS noms (those that have certain characteristics below the widely speculated $50K+ hurdle where odds become much much higher) get reviewed by an actual human with the ability to make a qualitative assessment of potential revenue from a customer.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I wish that were true two years ago.
OK. "Almost always" gets it. ;-)

It seems like the line might be a little fuzzy too. There have been a number of folks with $48K or $49K who have gotten in.

Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
While some trends may be emerging, small numbers render it nearly impossible to draw any definitive conclusions. Also remember that those on this board make up a tiny, tiny fraction of those getting or not getting GS.
Right, but you can disprove some blanket statements, particularly negative ones. For example, the statements that you can't qualify without high CPM or ultrahigh PQD from hubs are disproven.
AugustusM likes this.

Last edited by porciuscato; Jan 7, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum,
First-time GS . Is there a link that describes the benefits of GS in more detail? In reading various posts online, it seems like there are many unpublished benefits for GS members, but I don't know where to find a good summary, especially with the move to Points Plus. I haven't received official notification from United about my GS status but it shows up on my app and on the website as such when I log in.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2020 at 2:35 pm Reason: split post
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ChiTownAndy
First-time GS . Is there a link that describes the benefits of GS in more detail? In reading various posts online, it seems like there are many unpublished benefits for GS members, but I don't know where to find a good summary, especially with the move to Points Plus. I haven't received official notification from United about my GS status but it shows up on my app and on the website as such when I log in.
See this wiki

and this thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Split out your qualifications numbers and moved that to Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion"

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bluepig1
I’ve been GS for 3 years out of ORD. Below is the qualifying history. For this year I’m likely to finish the year at PQM 183k and PQD $48k. Nervous about requalifying because the PQM are a bit low, and GS is important to me given frequency of travel (2-3 domestic flights almost every week). All travel this year was on UA Metal, and my travel is Corporate, typically fully refundable. Worth doing a ~$1700 mileage run for another ~17k PQM, and get closer to $50k PQD? seat availability is ugly on the mileage run so I’d be on a long 9 hour flight in middle economy - so would rather not if I don’t need to (never mind the $1700). Would you do it?

PQM 222k

PQD 48k

PQM 198k

PQD 39k

PQM 230k

PQD 56k
Update: I took the mileage run for 15k PQM and $1,700 PQD (and fortunately got E+ aisle for the outbound as 9 hours in E middle would have been brutal). Would have been ~ 200 PQM short of the 200k threshold for more PlusPoints, so converted a short holiday flight from an award ticket to a paid ticket to get just over. Finished 2019 (for 2020 qualification) at:

PQM 200k
PQD $49.6k

... and today learned I requalified for GS. Don’t know if the mileage run really mattered, but I’m glad I spent the $1700 even though I’ve been nervously checking mystatus every day in January.
abul01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.