Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Crazy. You have 15 minutes to make it from brakes locked on the inbound to the gate reader on the outbound. Now, it's BOS so it's not as though it's 1x week service. So maybe OP doesn't really care about a misconnect. But, if a misconnect hurts, I wouldn't shoot for this.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Old thread but current question. I have a 30 minute connection on UA.. LAS-EWR-BOS its a MR in October. Red eye from LAS gets in at 7:00 am and BOS leaves at 7:30

Seems a little tight for me.. Thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels
30 minutes? You need a minimum of 2 hours - minimum!
Old May 30, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Often1
Crazy. You have 15 minutes to make it from brakes locked on the inbound to the gate reader on the outbound. Now, it's BOS so it's not as though it's 1x week service. So maybe OP doesn't really care about a misconnect. But, if a misconnect hurts, I wouldn't shoot for this.
Thanks to all that replied. It was how the routing appeared on .bomb this itineary get me in with enough time to host my 2nd BOS Pizza DO.. Ill wait a little for a schedule change then let UA route me differently. If not, I may do SDC for my return..
Thanks and Safe Travels
Old May 30, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
[Edited by Moderator after moving posts to current thread].

I have a 30 minute connection on UA.. LAS-EWR-BOS its a MR in October. Red eye from LAS gets in at 7:00 am and BOS leaves at 7:30

Seems a little tight for me.. Thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels
You need to account for time getting off the plane unless you plan on being in 1B. Then it's potentially a 15 minute walk from one end of the terminal to the other to catch your connection. I checked some random dates in Oct and the flight appears to be at 7:45am which is slightly more time but still somewhat uncomfortable, especially since the next flight seems to not be until 11am (so much for their vaunted pseudo-shuttle frequencies).
Old May 30, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
You need to account for time getting off the plane unless you plan on being in 1B. Then it's potentially a 15 minute walk from one end of the terminal to the other to catch your connection. I checked some random dates in Oct and the flight appears to be at 7:45am which is slightly more time but still somewhat uncomfortable, especially since the next flight seems to not be until 11am (so much for their vaunted pseudo-shuttle frequencies).
Sorry my bad.. gets in at 5:30 am and departs at 6:00 a.m. and no terminal change all in C.. Thanks for being so proactive..
Old May 31, 2013, 3:58 pm

I'm flying LHR-EWR-SYR next week with a 3 hour layover. My parents live in NJ near the airport and were thinking of meeting me for a bit. Since I have to leave the sterile area after customs and reclear security anyway it wouldn't create an extra hassle to meet them.

I'm checking a suitcase which I'll have picked up in customs. Do I need to immediately recheck it with a UA agent after passing through customs, or could I go to my parents, give them some souvenirs from the suitcase, and then wander back to the post-customs UA agent to recheck my suitcase to SYR? If I have to recheck immediately, would it look suspicious for me to transfer the souvenirs from my suitcase to my duffle bag in the baggage claim / customs hall itself?
Old May 31, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by tornado163
I'm flying LHR-EWR-SYR next week with a 3 hour layover. My parents live in NJ near the airport and were thinking of meeting me for a bit. Since I have to leave the sterile area after customs and reclear security anyway it wouldn't create an extra hassle to meet them.

I'm checking a suitcase which I'll have picked up in customs. Do I need to immediately recheck it with a UA agent after passing through customs, or could I go to my parents, give them some souvenirs from the suitcase, and then wander back to the post-customs UA agent to recheck my suitcase to SYR? If I have to recheck immediately, would it look suspicious for me to transfer the souvenirs from my suitcase to my duffle bag in the baggage claim / customs hall itself?
You can transfer the souvenirs from your bag to the duffle bag in the baggage claim area without a problem, them on your way out to meet your parents you can recheck your bag. Three hours will likely turn out to be 30-45 minutes with them, side you have to clear immigration and wait for your bag to come out, depending on the ay it can take from 15-45 minutes of wait in the area for your bag to come out. You probably want to clear TSA with T-45min.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:41 pm

3 hours enough for immigration at EWR?

We are flying back from MUC -> EWR -> SFO.

Do we have to get our baggage at EWR for immigration before getting on the flight to SFO? 3 hours enough?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
3 hours enough for immigration at EWR?

Yes you clear immigration, get your bags and clear customs. Bag recheck is right outside of customs. Even with the slow baggage processing at EWR, and sometimes long lines at immigration, 3 hours is plenty of time.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by drewmisha
We are flying back from MUC -> EWR -> SFO.

Do we have to get our baggage at EWR for immigration before getting on the flight to SFO? 3 hours enough?

Thanks in advance.
You will go through customs in EWR. Any time you go through customs in the US you have to claim your bags and recheck them in. There will be a luggage (re-)checkin as you exit customs. You will now be in the non-secure area and will have to go through a TSA security checkpoint to board your flight to SFO.

Three hours should be fine.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by bocastephen
30 minutes? You need a minimum of 2 hours - minimum!
So my 1+30 connection from IAD--EWR--NRT is not enough? An hour and a half should be enough unless I have to go through security again...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:02 pm

2.5 hr connection (pre-cleared Canada -> int'l). Inbound lands in the morning. Sound good?

Isn't EWR/LGA/JFK notorious for bad weather in the summer?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
EWR - 70 min connection Intl to Dom. Thoughts?

Hi All

I have a Thai friend flying in from NRT to EWR with a 1'10" connection for a 6:00 pm flight to DCA.

If the date matters, will be on July 3.

As its been eons since I've used this airport, any prognostications? This will be his first visit to the US and I'm hoping that this will not be an unduly traumatic event.

FWIW, it's a UA to UA flight, and he's flying in J.

Many thanks for your insights.

Last edited by Sabai; Jun 13, 2013 at 5:37 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
That's pretty aggressive if checking bags and assuming no Global Entry
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
It'll be tight, should be fine. I rarely transit through EWR anymore since I live in NYC now, however I can tell you that the EWR-DCA flight is chronically delayed. Whatever is lost by a congested Newark can be made up by UA's inability to keep to schedule with the connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.