Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You need to take the AirTrain from Terminal B to Terminal A and reclear security. You could also try to re-enter in Terminal B to take the shuttle to Terminal A. Your BP EWR-DCA will note "Premier Access" for shorter lines.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../maps/ewr.aspx
Old May 24, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
I'm looking at flying DFW-EWR-Europe in business in mid-June (Tuesday). My choice is between arriving 3:50 with a 3 hour connection or 2:12 with almost a 5 hour connection. Should I play it safe with the earlier flight or would there be no to little worries with the later one?

I know weather in summer afternoons can be an issue but if so I'd expect that it would be late both in and out and so I should be okay.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: M&M: FTL; A3: *G; Hertz: #1 Club Gold President's Circle
Originally Posted by aacharya
You need to take the AirTrain from Terminal B to Terminal A and reclear security. You could also try to re-enter in Terminal B to take the shuttle to Terminal A. Your BP EWR-DCA will note "Premier Access" for shorter lines.

Thank you for these informations

and to the moderator for moving the questions... not all the time easy for a newbie to find its way in this so huge forum ;-)
Old May 26, 2013, 11:04 pm

Is 40 min enough to connect at EWR?

Am looking at PBI - EWR - YYZ. First leg is UA, 2nd leg is I think Republic dba United Express (bombardier q400). I would like to know if 40 min connection is ok. I am guessing that the flights will both arrive and depart out of Terminal C, but not sure how far the gates might be. Also curious if these flights are mostly on time.

Thank you.

ETA. Also, pardon me but what exactly is the flight experience on a Bombardier q400 as I have never heard of it.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ENFO
Am looking at PBI - EWR - YYZ. First leg is UA, 2nd leg is I think Republic dba United Express (bombardier q400). I would like to know if 40 min connection is ok. ...
possible but I would prefer more time.

Remember doors close @ t-10 and you must be available for boarding @ T-15 or risk losing seat assignment.

How important is the connection? What are the consequences if you misconnect?

.... I am guessing that the flights will both arrive and depart out of Terminal C, but not sure how far the gates might be. ...
probably but C is big.

....Also curious if these flights are mostly on time. ....
Flightstats.com is best for checking ontime stats.
Old May 26, 2013, 11:12 pm

Am looking at PBI - EWR - YYZ. First leg is UA, 2nd leg is I think Republic dba United Express (bombardier q400). I would like to know if 40 min connection is ok. I am guessing that the flights will both arrive and depart out of Terminal C, but not sure how far the gates might be. Also curious if these flights are mostly on time.

Thank you.

ETA. Also, pardon me but what exactly is the flight experience on a Bombardier q400 as I have never heard of it.
If your PBI - EWR flight is on time then yes u should be fine. The PBI - EWR flight will arrive at any gate in Terminal C, and the Q400 flight will 99% of the time depart from the C2 terminal (C101-C115 gates).

Never been on a Q400 so can't answer that for you sorry.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Thank you.

It's a modern turboprop, about as noisy as a comparable regional jet, but slightly more spacious (more headroom, bigger overhead bins). The plane should also have E+ and F.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
While some prefer the Qs, they are much noisier, and see many more delays than the other RJs in the UX fleet...
Old May 27, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: M&M: FTL; A3: *G; Hertz: #1 Club Gold President's Circle
Originally Posted by release
Hi all,

End of July, I will be on the flight SXM-DCA with transit at EWR.

The SXM-EWR segment is in Z and EWR-DCA in M (there is no F).

If I have good informations the arrival terminal to EWR is the Terminal B and the departure to DCA in Terminal A.

I suppose that in terminal B I will spend immigration, pick up my luggage and go through customs (as CLT).

Question:
Is it possible to re-check in directly my luggages in transit (as is the case in CLT)?
On the way to the terminal A and boarding EWR-DCA, is it necessary to proceed to a new security control? If so, in my case with a Z in the first segment, is it possible to have a fast lane access? Can I or should I ask for a document to SXM or EWR terminal B for this fast lane access?

Thank you for your comments

release

Originally Posted by aacharya

And with the "Premier Access", will I have access to the lounge at EWR?
If I understand the UA website, I have to use my *G and not FTL(* S) to have an access

correct?
Old May 27, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewwm
It's a modern turboprop, about as noisy as a comparable regional jet, but slightly more spacious (more headroom, bigger overhead bins). The plane should also have E+ and F.
Those things are far louder than a similar sized RJ, esp if in front of the engines
Old May 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
possible but I would prefer more time.

Remember doors close @ t-10 and you must be available for boarding @ T-15 or risk losing seat assignment.

How important is the connection? What are the consequences if you misconnect?

probably but C is big.

Flightstats.com is best for checking ontime stats.

Hi, thanks for all your input. If you don't mind I'll lay out my situation.

The details are UA1264 and UA3872 on June 19.

Right now, UA1264 scheduled departure from PBI is 15 minutes earlier. It arrives at C75-85. I have no idea when the departure time changes over. (this flight also sometimes is listed as SFO-EWR or SJC-DEN depending on the date).

The current EWR-YYZ flights I believe leave C110 and arrive YYZ at T1.

I am currently booked PBI-PHL-YYZ with a 1.5 hour connection in PHL. First leg is USAir in economy and 2nd leg is AC (E75) in executive, also arriving in YYZ T1. Although US First is available, adding a leg in "First" will bump up my Aeroplan award by 50,000 points, so the way to go around this is to book UA in Business (which will translate to domestic First). The reason I was looking to change is UA Business is now available on both legs. The other reason is hubby is booked on a separate Aeroplan award ticket with USAir economy and AC also economy. Both the UA and the AC flights arrive at YYZ at 12noon. If I change to United we will both be in First/Business. It's not too impt to be in Business on the short 2nd leg, but United First on the first leg would allow us to use the priority line at security right? Also UA has a breakfast service and satellite TV.

We are catching AC61 YYZ-ICN which leaves YYZ T1 at 2.05pm, so I would say yes, the consequences would be pretty upsetting. We're already booked in Business on that flight.

So I guess the question is, is it a good change to make to switch to UA via EWR with 40 min connection vs what I have now? Or do we instead run the risk of losing our seats on the Q400 connection? I get the feeling some of you are not that confident we'll make the connection? I guess if it boils down to going on Economy/flying in diff classes OR missing the flight entirely, the first option would obviously be better. But if it's doable then I would hate to miss out, esp since I already shelled out the requisite no. of award miles anyway.

Last edited by ENFO; May 27, 2013 at 10:08 am
Old May 27, 2013, 10:37 am

Hi, thanks for all your input. If you don't mind I'll lay out my situation.

The details are UA1264 and UA3872 on June 19.

Right now, UA1264 scheduled departure from PBI is 15 minutes earlier. It arrives at C75-85. I have no idea when the departure time changes over. (this flight also sometimes is listed as SFO-EWR or SJC-DEN depending on the date).

The current EWR-YYZ flights I believe leave C110 and arrive YYZ at T1.

I am currently booked PBI-PHL-YYZ with a 1.5 hour connection in PHL. First leg is USAir in economy and 2nd leg is AC (E75) in executive, also arriving in YYZ T1. Although US First is available, adding a leg in "First" will bump up my Aeroplan award by 50,000 points, so the way to go around this is to book UA in Business (which will translate to domestic First). The reason I was looking to change is UA Business is now available on both legs. The other reason is hubby is booked on a separate Aeroplan award ticket with USAir economy and AC also economy. Both the UA and the AC flights arrive at YYZ at 12noon. If I change to United we will both be in First/Business. It's not too impt to be in Business on the short 2nd leg, but United First on the first leg would allow us to use the priority line at security right? Also UA has a breakfast service and satellite TV.

We are catching AC61 YYZ-ICN which leaves YYZ T1 at 2.05pm, so I would say yes, the consequences would be pretty upsetting. We're already booked in Business on that flight.

So I guess the question is, is it a good change to make to switch to UA via EWR with 40 min connection vs what I have now? Or do we instead run the risk of losing our seats on the Q400 connection? I get the feeling some of you are not that confident we'll make the connection? I guess if it boils down to going on Economy/flying in diff classes OR missing the flight entirely, the first option would obviously be better. But if it's doable then I would hate to miss out, esp since I already shelled out the requisite no. of award miles anyway.
Given the consequences of not making the connection, I wouldn't even consider doing this -- if you miss it, the next EWR-YYZ flight gets in at 2:04 pm (too late for your ICN flight), and there's no guarantee of seats on that.

My family of 4 (including 6 and 8 year olds) did a 30 minute connection from a redeye SFO-EWR-BDL last year; we left a few minutes late and got to the gate 5-10 minutes late, and had to run from like C134 to C84 -- a long way, not coming across a cart the whole way. We barely made it only because they were delayed a bit and hadn't closed the door. In our case, the alternative would have been to rent a car and drive a few hours; not the end of the world (though we would have had to make a tough call to cut and run right then, or hope to get on the noon flight that wasn't looking likely).

My strong opinion -- keep the better connection, get to the airport early or pay for premier access, and enjoy your flights knowing you have a much better chance of getting to ICN on time...
Old May 29, 2013, 9:42 pm

Thanks for your advice, I guess the prudent thing to do is keep my existing reservations.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
[Edited by Moderator after moving posts to current thread].

I have a 30 minute connection on UA.. LAS-EWR-BOS its a MR in October. Red eye from LAS gets in at 5:30 am and BOS leaves at 6:00 am ( times updated my error )

Seems a little tight for me.. Thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm Reason: See note above.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Old thread but current question. I have a 30 minute connection on UA.. LAS-EWR-BOS its a MR in October. Red eye from LAS gets in at 7:00 am and BOS leaves at 7:30

Seems a little tight for me.. Thoughts? Thanks and Safe Travels
Personally, that's way too tight for me as your EWR-BOS flight will be boarding at the time you land and even with favorable winds getting you in a bit early, there's no guarantee that your gates will/could be close so you'll also have to factor in the walking time (and a possible terminal change from terminal C to terminal A*)

There's also a lot of discussion over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...wr-thread.html

*I don't know if it's a mainline flight (C) or an express flight (A) EWR-BOS but just throwing it out there "just in case"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.