Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:29 pm
guw

OT

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, A is a UA Premium Economy booking class, as of last Friday. I'm not sure I understand how it would affect what an LH agent would do with an LH A fare on an 016 ticket, but I'm happy to help.
I don't know either. Trip was AMS-MUC-SFO. The (LH contract) staff in AMS managed to screw it up while getting me onto an earlier AMS-MUC flight (to have more time for making the connection). After security I realized they gave me an Y+ seat on MUC-SFO. It took them half an hour to "fix" the ticket in MUC. Luckily they let me wait inside the First lounge because I had proof that it actually was purchased as first class ticket. After touch town in SFO I called the 1k desk because I got an email that my return flights (SFO-LAX-FRA-AMS) had been reissued into D (from A). The agent was awesome and immediately realized what LH did wrong. Together with the supervisor they fixed the ticket (involving some back and forth with LH) while I was waiting on the phone. All fine now but a very classic FML moment. I should have called the 1k desk in AMS already.

I wonder how much the system contributed to that issue. For example, no more A booking class on SFO-LAX but instead D, which in turn might have triggered the LAX-FRA flight also from A into D? Or A mapping into E, which was all of a sudden printed on by LH boarding pass (because it was a 016 ticket). I love being a beta tester.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guw
I don't know either. Trip was AMS-MUC-SFO. The (LH contract) staff in AMS managed to screw it up while getting me onto an earlier AMS-MUC flight (to have more time for making the connection). After security I realized they gave me an Y+ seat on MUC-SFO. It took them half an hour to "fix" the ticket in MUC. Luckily they let me wait inside the First lounge because I had proof that it actually was purchased as first class ticket
Ah. Well, they didn't have any A inventory on codeshare flights until today, so it's probably a coincidence. But it's a good reminder of something to keep an eye on during IRROPS. Some agents definitely forget that other airlines' booking classes don't match their own.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Just found out LH eliminated First FRA-BOS and downgraded my confirmed 'O' to 'I' .... on a full fare refundable ticket that'll be fun to fix.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Call the Lufthansa F hotline, they are smart enough to fix that. http://www.lufthansa.com/de/de/suppo...class-hotlines
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, A is a UA Premium Economy booking class, as of last Friday. I'm not sure I understand how it would affect what an LH agent would do with an LH A fare on an 016 ticket, but I'm happy to help.
Why would UA choose "A" for UA Premium Economy instead of something else? There are plenty in alphabet soup to choose from!
And since "A" was discount First, (including domestic First) and still is on many airlines, what was UA thinking?

Does this mean that we will not be able to book LH/LX discounted first through UA anymore?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kittiyut
Why would UA choose "A" for UA Premium Economy instead of something else? There are plenty in alphabet soup to choose from!
Every letter from A - Z is currently used for a United fare class except for F.

And since "A" was discount First, (including domestic First) and still is on many airlines, what was UA thinking?
There has never been perfect alignment between airlines on fare classes (except for Y, and maybe C and F?). AC already uses A for a deep discount economy fare, for example.

Does this mean that we will not be able to book LH/LX discounted first through UA anymore?
It means you cannot book first class at all, on any airline, with a UA code. You may be able to book with a native code. (Award tickets are always booked on native codes, so they're not affected). For example, search BKK to FRA on united.com, and you're given the option to purchase TG or LH F tickets. Search IAH to FRA, and no F column appears.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Has anyone had a Z fare that was waitlisted pre the rule change clear subsequently? I still have two segments waitlisted but we're at about two weeks out and no movement.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Has anyone had a Z fare that was waitlisted pre the rule change clear subsequently? I still have two segments waitlisted but we're at about two weeks out and no movement.
I had two waitlisted P's that cleared more than a month after the loophole was closed. Both were day of departure.

Last edited by tromer; Dec 7, 2018 at 10:25 am Reason: added timing detail
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by tromer
I had two waitlisted P's that cleared more than a month after the loophole was closed. Both were day of departure.
Got it - guess that is what I'll expect for the more probably of the two.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Using UA GPU on LH flight in PE/O fares

Anyone know what the word is on booking a premium economy ticket on LH and using a United GPU to upgrade? I guess common sense would say yes, but I know better than to assume that.

If I book a PE seat through LH and on LH ticket stock, the webpages don't specifically say I can use my GPUs to upgrade, but anyone know if it's possible?

Also, if I book a LH PE ticket on UA 016 stock (united.com is listing it as a O fare class), is that eligible for a UA GPU as well?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 8, 2018 at 8:34 pm Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
To use a GPU on an LH flight, it has to be booked using the LH flight number (native code). Generally speaking, you cannot do this on united.com (except for some routes with no codeshares). You can use the GPU irrespective of ticket stock, and fare classes G and E are eligible.

To plate on 016 stock, you either need to book the LH code by phone or book the UA code online and call immediately to have it changed to the LH code. UA-coded PE tickets in O and A are GPU-eligible for LH flights (after conversion).
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by findark
To plate on 016 stock, you either need to book the LH code by phone or book the UA code online and call immediately to have it changed to the LH code. UA-coded PE tickets in O and A are GPU-eligible for LH flights (after conversion).
In many cases, Google Flights is useful for plating LH-coded flights on UAL 016 stock without agent intervention. There are reports in a more detailed thread of agents refusing to convert UA codeshares back to native LH flight numbers when ticketed on United stock. A HUACA situation, but worth knowing.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
Anyone know what the word is on booking a premium economy ticket on LH and using a United GPU to upgrade? I guess common sense would say yes, but I know better than to assume that.

If I book a PE seat through LH and on LH ticket stock, the webpages don't specifically say I can use my GPUs to upgrade, but anyone know if it's possible?
yes it does, E and G are eligible. The following Lufthansa fare classes are eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, H, J, M, Q, U and Y

You can book and 'O' codeshare, but an agent needs to convert it to LH code. Alphabet soup conversion is going to an interesting problem, now O is the highest booking class so that should with 99% certainty map to an UG eligible class on LH. Finding an agent who can do this, that's another story.

Last edited by cfischer; Dec 9, 2018 at 10:51 am
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
I'm trying to search GPU business upgradeable fares on united.com for translatlantic LH flights (to, from EWR or BOS). I used to able to see the 'upgrade to first' selector under the Upgrade type dropdown list, but I cannot select it. Also it would be a connecting flight and I don't want to pay for an C,D,J business class ticket on the first and last EU leg. How to resolve this? Thank you
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by illesus
I'm trying to search GPU business upgradeable fares on united.com for translatlantic LH flights (to, from EWR or BOS). I used to able to see the 'upgrade to first' selector under the Upgrade type dropdown list, but I cannot select it. Also it would be a connecting flight and I don't want to pay for an C,D,J business class ticket on the first and last EU leg. How to resolve this? Thank you
I think you're going to have to search by fare class. The old "Upgrade to First" selector was intended for UA First class and I don't know that it would have been particularly meaningful on an LH flight anyway. Just put in C, D, J for your fare class.

You almost certainly do want a C, D, J business class ticket on the intra-EU leg. In nearly every case, it's going to price out much cheaper than creating a fare break at the gateway city would. BOS-FRA-TXL RT in C is likely cheaper than BOS-FRA in C/D/J plus FRA-TXL in (lowest available). If you want to check, try multi-city search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.