Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Would it be possible to change UA to LH flight number without reissuing the ticket? If it was a revalidation instead, then it seems pretty easy to make it come out with any rbd you want. Agree that if LH audited they would come calling for the difference in fare, but that might get stuck between LH and UA. That change is not standard.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Would it be possible to change UA to LH flight number without reissuing the ticket? If it was a revalidation instead, then it seems pretty easy to make it come out with any rbd you want. Agree that if LH audited they would come calling for the difference in fare, but that might get stuck between LH and UA. That change is not standard.
I think so; you're not changing the fare construction. The agent could also have forced a re-issue, although that's breaking even more rules.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by absdotan99
Unfortunately, I availability diminished 15 hours following my issued ticket, and my upgrade was not clear at 24 hours. I used the option to cancel the ticket and rebook another flights at different dates so I can guarantee the upgrade. My take home message, once you book LH flights, go immediately to upgrade and if upgrade are not cleared immediately, cancel and rebook other dates. Of course you can take the risk that your flight will be upgraded by T24, but with LH is a risk since we do not have a status there.
I don’t think I agree with that. My experience has been LH will fill the cabins - so you’re almost guaranteed an upgrade if there’s space in the cabin available. I’m at 100% success rate upgrading into F, over many flights. I never book flights with F1 or F2 though as those might see LH elites getting in first - but if the cabin is quiet I _always_ get upgraded. I expect it should be similar for business.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I don’t think I agree with that. My experience has been LH will fill the cabins - so you’re almost guaranteed an upgrade if there’s space in the cabin available. I’m at 100% success rate upgrading into F, over many flights. I never book flights with F1 or F2 though as those might see LH elites getting in first - but if the cabin is quiet I _always_ get upgraded. I expect it should be similar for business.
F is different.

My daughter was in FULL Y, using my GPU for an upgrade and is a 1K.

I blocked an EE row seat in Y on the 744, LH BOM relegated her to the *back* of the plane. No upgrade.

When I checked out the biz cabin - it was filled with probable non-revs ...Y was chock-a-block as well.

No reason they would not upgrade a *G on a full-fare Y into biz, when there were biz seats available T-6.

LH sucks, through and through.

This is why I am buying all tickets through United, not through LH!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:27 pm Reason: unneeded comment removed
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
F is different.

My daughter was in FULL Y, using my GPU for an upgrade and is a 1K.

I blocked an EE row seat in Y on the 744, LH BOM relegated her to the *back* of the plane. No upgrade.

When I checked out the biz cabin - it was filled with probable non-revs...Y was chock-a-block as well.

No reason they would not upgrade a *G on a full-fare Y into biz, when there were biz seats available T-6.

LH sucks, through and through.

This is why I am buying all tickets through United, not through LH!
Wow. That’s really weird. I stand corrected then. It makes no sense at all, the “services” they provide for F are worth comparatively far more than for J, and I’ve seen them fill the F cabin a number of times with upgrades - on my last flight, the purser even _complained_ about the upgrades eating all the caviar of the “real” F pax (like wow lol. That was an interesting chat), so I’m extremely surprised they wouldn’t fill J as well. Odd. Guess I better not expect J upgrades if I’m buying a Y ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2019 at 2:28 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

Wow. That’s really weird. I stand corrected then. It makes no sense at all, the “services” they provide for F are worth comparatively far more than for J, and I’ve seen them fill the F cabin a number of times with upgrades - on my last flight, the purser even _complained_ about the upgrades eating all the caviar of the “real” F pax (like wow lol. That was an interesting chat), so I’m extremely surprised they wouldn’t fill J as well. Odd. Guess I better not expect J upgrades if I’m buying a Y ticket.
J was also full (B744, no F) - but not with any *real* upgrades I must opine...based on observation only.

Maybe they get more $$ for an F upgrade then.

However, they tend to non-rev into J only - not into F.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:30 am

J was also full (B744, no F) - but not with any *real* upgrades I must opine...based on observation only.

Maybe they get more $$ for an F upgrade then.

However, they tend to non-rev into J only - not into F.
No, I’ve most definitely come across nonrevs (well wait, we’re talking about lower class paid pax being upgraded right? that’s technically still rev) being op upped into F.

One guy on a flight turned out to be an interesting guy and we chatted a lot, good experiences. LH status holder.

Another guy went so crazy on the top shelf stuff that he spent the first half of the flight consuming it and the second half returning it. Was miserable to watch.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:33 am

No, I’ve most definitely come across nonrevs (well wait, we’re talking about lower class paid pax being upgraded right? that’s technically still rev) being op upped into F.

One guy on a flight turned out to be an interesting guy and we chatted a lot, good experiences. LH status holder.

Another guy went so crazy on the top shelf stuff that he spent the first half of the flight consuming it and the second half returning it. Was miserable to watch.
Non-revs - employee-types...

LH status holder a non-rev as well?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:01 pm

Non-revs - employee-types...

LH status holder a non-rev as well?
No: LH status holder I meant, he bought a J ticket and was op upped because of oversold J.

True nonrevs - I really doubt they’d be op upped to F so this might be totally off topic on my part then. I meant revenue people with free upgrades to F.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A lot of recent posts are compelling me to make the point that anecdote = datum, not data.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:04 pm

No: LH status holder I meant, he bought a J ticket and was op upped because of oversold J.
That's a simple op-up!

True nonrevs - I really doubt they’d be op upped to F so this might be totally off topic on my part then. I meant revenue people with free upgrades to F.
Exactly what I said originally!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have never had issues getting GPUs to J cleared on LH... my experiences mirror those of Pseudo Nim where they will usually run the upgrades about 10 hours before departure if they haven't already. LH gets good cash for those instruments and always seems happy to run them. However, I am always in paid PE (not Y) and the PE cabins are very often overbooked.

I could plausibly see LH deciding to op-up PE pax before GPU Y -> J, but who knows.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I could plausibly see LH deciding to op-up PE pax before GPU Y -> J, but who knows.
They'd almost have to do that, right? I mean, they wouldn't upgrade a passenger from Y to J on a GPU only to have to downgrade someone from PE to Y. The only way I'd expect anyone to clear a Y->J upgrade is if any PE oversale has already been taken care of.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
So I've had pretty good luck with purchased J -> F... with GPUs. Mostly JNB to FRA runs and a few FRA - IAD. One IAD - FRA was literally in the Lounge, few times you love hearing your name being called.

On my current itinerary I got an instant (well instant after I converted from the 016 paper) on a MEX to MUC flight. Currently waitlisted on an FRA - IAH flight.

These are the numbers that someone pulled a few days ago on another thread: Sun 5/APR/2019 LH440 FRA-IAH F3 A0 J9 C5 D4 Z3 P0 G7 E2 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H0 Q9 V1 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0

On EF First is still showing 5 seats open.

Things get really interesting when I try to book through UA:

Sorry numbers are impossible to see... I know... here they are available fare classes: J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 O0 A0 R0 Y6 B6 M6 U6 H6 Q6 V6 W6 S6 T6 L4 K0
They are not even selling first. Of course, you can still buy First on LH.
Business is FULLLLL I'm currently sitting in the mini cabin in the back...
So here's the thing... why am I going to Houston instead of Mexico... I want to sit in First in all of the different planes... I've done 747-8 a few times, the MEX - MUC is on a 340, the FRA - IAH is a380. Not sure I'll make any of the a330s left out there. Am I hurting my chances by trying to upgrade on a Sunday from FRA to IAH? I've checked loads on Friday and Sunday and they look equally tough.
What to do... have some confidence? and wait for Lady Luck?

Thoughts welcomed.

FF
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by model_un
They are not even selling first
That doesn't mean anything. UA no longer offers codeshares of LH F because they no longer have a booking class that would support it. F has been retired and A is now a Premium Plus booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.