Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Marriot
Originally Posted by LondonElite

It was changed to LH E. How or why they did it, I don’t know. Probably by overriding some default on account of my charm.
One last question - Was it web support or 1K line that helped you. Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLyHNL
One last question - Was it web support or 1K line that helped you. Thanks in advance.
Please understand that you're discussing asking a UA rep to break a rule for which they could conceivably lose their job.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FLyHNL
I called the 1K line because the online form was giving me a lot of grief. Initially she told me I couldn’t upgrade but then told me to hang on, she was going to speak to some colleague. 30 minutes later...
Old May 18, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by kb1992
I canceled my ticket with waitlisted GPU. Normally the GPU got redeposited immediately.

But it's not returned to my account.

Has anyone experienced this?
Yes yesterday - I had a LH EGPU applied last weekend - and was waitlisted for a LH upgrade to F (never waitlisted for so long before usuaully clears 24 hours later ) - UA told me EGPU was applied incorrectly -so i asked them to remove it yesterday - GPU removed, but not returned - called back and they had to manually return it
Nowtrying to reapply a GPU to LH flight I keep getting an error and asks me to call UA UA can't seem to help me - so is this becasue of this upgrade system upgrading? Not sure what to do - should I just call UA again?
Old May 18, 2019, 5:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cbourl
... Nowtrying to reapply a GPU to LH flight I keep getting an error and asks me to call UA UA can't seem to help me - so is this becasue of this upgrade system upgrading? Not sure what to do - should I just call UA again?
Hardly an uncommon situation -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ht-credit.html
Old May 18, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Called 1K Websupport - issue at the moment with LH GPUs Tech are looking at it but has been going on for at least a week with no reposnse back to agents about resolution of issue
Old May 18, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Yes yesterday - I had a LH EGPU applied last weekend - and was waitlisted for a LH upgrade to F (never waitlisted for so long before usuaully clears 24 hours later ) - UA told me EGPU was applied incorrectly -so i asked them to remove it yesterday - GPU removed, but not returned - called back and they had to manually return it
Nowtrying to reapply a GPU to LH flight I keep getting an error and asks me to call UA UA can't seem to help me - so is this becasue of this upgrade system upgrading? Not sure what to do - should I just call UA again?
honestly, you should have left this alone or called LH. UA has zero idea if this was applied correctly and frankly, once applied it is usually good. Once you apply a GPU this is controlled by LH and no longer by UA, so no wonder it did not return, the rules state very clearly that if you want to change or cancel a GPU on LH you have to call them and NOT UA. Sounds like you made a mess, I hope someone can fix it for you. This has nothing to do with any trouble the UA upgrade system might have had recently.
Call LH and see if they can help you with the mess you got yourself into.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer

honestly, you should have left this alone or called LH. UA has zero idea if this was applied correctly and frankly, once applied it is usually good. Once you apply a GPU this is controlled by LH and no longer by UA, so no wonder it did not return, the rules state very clearly that if you want to change or cancel a GPU on LH you have to call them and NOT UA. Sounds like you made a mess, I hope someone can fix it for you. This has nothing to do with any trouble the UA upgrade system might have had recently.
Call LH and see if they can help you with the mess you got yourself into.
Thanks Ill try that - I actually did call LH to remove the GPU but they told me I had to call UA LH call centres are clueless about most things - Ive had nothing but grief booking through them and every time a book a LH/LX fare they can't book it and I have to escalate it to LH agents in AU Even the LH rep here on Flyertalk said you cant use UA GPU on LH - go figure
Old May 18, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Ill try that - I actually did call LH to remove the GPU but they told me I had to call UA LH call centres are clueless about most things - Ive had nothing but grief booking through them and every time a book a LH/LX fare they can't book it and I have to escalate it to LH agents in AU Even the LH rep here on Flyertalk said you cant use UA GPU on LH - go figure
call the LH First class hotline. Once applied the GPU is held hostage by LH. It was likely applied correctly in the first place, honestly, they can clear any time till departure and I am not sure where you have heard that 24 hour thing. Always check how things look like on Lufthansa.com and if ever in doubt because it looks strange, call Lufthansa
Old May 18, 2019, 8:39 pm

call the LH First class hotline. Once applied the GPU is held hostage by LH. It was likely applied correctly in the first place, honestly, they can clear any time till departure and I am not sure where you have heard that 24 hour thing. Always check how things look like on Lufthansa.com and if ever in doubt because it looks strange, call Lufthansa
I just has 40 minutes of useless interaction with LH call centre which always defaults back to useless Manila call centre where staff have no supervisors, cant help with web support or miles and more and just tel lyou they cant see anything on their screem when I can see the GPU still notes on LH.COM even though wailist is gone and back in D class

Called LH FC Hotline DE because LH FC Hotline USA closed (I thought it was 24 hours) No help cant see any upgrade or GPU but LH.COM still shows UA EGPUJRXXXXXX without any upgrade I'm seriously at the end of my tether -Naechste Haltestelle is CXL the LH ticket gratis and rebook on an entirely LX ticket Sick of LH uselessness!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2019 at 12:03 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 19, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called LH FC Hotline DE because LH FC Hotline USA closed (I thought it was 24 hours) No help cant see any upgrade or GPU but LH.COM still shows UA EGPUJRXXXXXX without any upgrade I'm seriously at the end of my tether -Naechste Haltestelle is CXL the LH ticket gratis and rebook on an entirely LX ticket Sick of LH uselessness!
Of course, makes sense that LH.com still shows the upgrade because you incorrectly called UA and they made a mess. Did you ask LH to completely remove/cancel the UG on their end? LH should be able to do this, but honestly, it would have been all good if you didn’t decide to mess with it in the first place. If you can cancel and rebook for free then that is obviously the easiest option to fix this problem.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:06 am

my previous upgrade to LH F using a GPU ALWAYS for the pas t10 years clear within 24 hours have the email w/l and emai l confirmed to prove it
So a little concerned when its waitlisted and doesn't clear
BTW LH showed a UAEGPU remark in my frequent flyer details which I managed to remove LH cant see any upgrade and now I have to option to upgrade on the LH.com website using evouchers or miles No evouchers left so looks like its gonna have to be 50K LH miles
seems other people are getting the same messages on other web posts so I think its a United issue - maybe the O class confused UA IT since they are using O for the PE when LH/TG?NH use it for their F Awards/Upgrades Which is why a UA 1K call agent said I was booking into PE
Old May 20, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my previous upgrade to LH F using a GPU ALWAYS for the pas t10 years clear within 24 hours have the email w/l and emai l confirmed to prove it
So a little concerned when its waitlisted and doesn't clear
BTW LH showed a UAEGPU remark in my frequent flyer details which I managed to remove LH cant see any upgrade and now I have to option to upgrade on the LH.com website using evouchers or miles No evouchers left so looks like its gonna have to be 50K LH miles
seems other people are getting the same messages on other web posts so I think its a United issue - maybe the O class confused UA IT since they are using O for the PE when LH/TG?NH use it for their F Awards/Upgrades Which is why a UA 1K call agent said I was booking into PE
You have had all of you UGs clear within 24 hours? Perhaps you want to read some post here to get a perspective on that For me I'd say 1/3 clear right away, another 10% clear over night then 50% clear some time till flight departure (some at the gate) and 10% don't clear.
I have no issues right now using the United UG system for LH, just 1 data point.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SPG
unable to request LH GPU upgrade using United website

Originally Posted by shelby101
Been trying to upgrade a Lufthansa flight for 2 days. Get message there is a technical issue which is confirmed by Web support.
Only told to try tomorrow. No work-around.
No explanation on the problem either.
Also getting message Singapore's cant be done at this time either.
I have been trying to request an LH upgrade using a GPU on United's website since Friday. I repeatedly get error code 118. I've spoken with multiple 1K agents and have been sent twice to web support. Web support's solution is to tell me to try different browsers and clear cookies. I've done so for Chrome, Safari and Explorer, all yielding the same error code 118. The 1K agents have told me that they are getting a lot of calls about this problem but there's no fix. I asked to speak with a web support supervisor who told me that there has been an ongoing problem since April 12 (!). The 1K agents said that their complaints started when UAL upgraded their online GPU request system on Friday (May 17) night. I'm frustrated as the UA people tell me that there is no other way to request an upgrade but through the (non-functional) UA website.

Is anybody having *success* in even applying for an LH upgrade now using UA's website? And, if so, please generally describe what you are doing that makes it work. I've got the LH record locator number, the flight is booked under an LH number, and the fare is in D class, which the UA website says is upgradeable with a GPU (but the LH website says is not.)
Old May 20, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
One of my friends ( Friend A ) has succeeded to use a GPU for another friend ( Friend B ) on a LH flight, early May. However, the flight was marketed and operated by Lufthansa ( respectively under the LH code ). The ticket is a 220- ticket. Friend B is now on the waitlist for an upgrade and we hope his upgrade would clear soon.

Btw, Friend A used the United website to request this upgrade and Friend B was placed to the waitlist in Friend A's first attempt to fill out the necessary form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.