Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Anyway to tell in advance if there is F GPU availability on LH? ..
On LH and many other *A carriers, award space and upgrade space is the same inventory. So you would be looking for O space on ANA or other sites showing *A award space. Or you could look on united.com for LH award space.

HOWEVER, it is rare for LH to release First Class award space more than 5-14 days in advance of the flight.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
No way to know for sure, but the best indicator is if you can book an MP award on the flight in F. Small sample size, but when that's been the case I've cleared as soon as applying.

However, that will overly restrict your search, because I've had more clear instantly where an F award wasn't available to MP (presumably O was available to LH's M&M members).

Having done this extensively (played the C>F GPU game on LH) I've learned my lesson a few times. You can't just look for light F loads as a good indicator you'll clear the waitlist - you need to look at C/PE/Y loads as well. LH likes to oversell other classes, and uses F as the escape valve (and since UA GPU's have to clear at least T-10, you're SOL if the held F is no longer needed). For the waitlisted flights, most of mine cleared between T-24 and T-10.

Lastly, read the wiki/the last couple posts in the following thread, as there are some problems even after your GPU clears (mainly with checkin - I've had the problems and you just have to leave yourself more time and be prepared to use a couple key phrases to help the agent solve your problem).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lectronic.html
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On LH and many other *A carriers, award space and upgrade space is the same inventory.
I don't think this is accurate. I just cleared C -> F on LH with a GPU at T-21 days. It's pretty well known that LH usually only opens O space on flights at T-14, and a search on ANA and UA.com does not show O open. LX, for example, clears UA star alliance upgrades into O, but the inventory is not released to UA as award space.

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Then late last night I get two eticket confirmation emails from United within minutes of each other. These show my now upgraded LH segment from M to I, but they ALSO HAVE REISSUED MY TICKET. I have a brand new and different ticket number.

UA must have a new process that automatically reissues the ticket when the upgrade clears. I believe someone else recently paired about the reissue with two confirmation emails arriving within minutes of each other.
Thoughts?
I just cleared from C to O on LH and unfortunately my ticket has not been reissued; I'm guessing it was just stickered as usual. Obviously I'd love it if they reissued into O automatically, but it doesn't look like this is happening for all itineraries yet
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
The answer is b. N is the low discount E fare bucket. Just like P in C. P is often lower than G/E/Y/B/M too
But P is never lower than Q. ?
Can N be lower than Q ?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nick5000
But P is never lower than Q. ?
Can N be lower than Q ?
Fares don't follow those sorts of rules.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Sorry for a repetitive question, I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find a solid answer and the wiki at the top isn't instilling much confidence in me.

I'm looking at booking a FRA to YYZ (either direct or via IAD). Both the 744 and 748 have the premium economy cabin. Will my GPU used on a Q fare book me into Business class or Premium Economy?

Also, assuming it is business - is there any preference between the LH new business 744 or the 748? I can route through IAD for the 748 and get home later, or just take the direct 744 into YYZ with same new business,
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by hagan73
Will my GPU used on a Q fare book me into Business class or Premium Economy?

Also, assuming it is business - is there any preference between the LH new business 744 or the 748? I can route through IAD for the 748 and get home later, or just take the direct 744 into YYZ with same new business,
The GPU upgrades Y to C.

The 744 new C seat is always parallel: // (like on the A330/340/380 on the window side), the 748 new C is always arranged angled to each other: /\. Some say you play footsie with your seatmate in the latter
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Had to make a last minute trip to Germany. Booked on Friday for flights on Sunday, via our corporate travel agent (no option on that one). Ended-up being basically a full-fare ticket (which you'd think UA would like). Because I had SWUs to use I consented on being booked in whY, knowing I'd get the upgrade to clear. I went with LH flights because I didn't trust the late afternoon UA Express flights required to get me to my gateway for the late UA flight (IAD).

Once flights ticketed and confirmed I called United to apply my SWUs to the LH flights. What ensued was three hours and multiple agents not being able to figure it out, going so far as canceling parts of my reservation in hopes it would "stick." I don't doubt they were all well intentioned (although one scolded me for not just taking United flights) but when we hit the third hour with no progress being made my patience went to 0 and I canceled the whole thing.

Booked in business on Delta.

Now UA is fighting me about refunding the money since I booked through a travel agent. Took a few phone calls over the weekend but finally got someone to agree to submit the refund after I mentioned filing a DOT complaint.

Why is almost every experience with UA so miserable? And is the application of UA SWU's for LH flights really this difficult?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
Had to make a last minute trip to Germany. Booked on Friday for flights on Sunday, via our corporate travel agent (no option on that one). Ended-up being basically a full-fare ticket (which you'd think UA would like). Because I had SWUs to use I consented on being booked in whY, knowing I'd get the upgrade to clear. I went with LH flights because I didn't trust the late afternoon UA Express flights required to get me to my gateway for the late UA flight (IAD).

Once flights ticketed and confirmed I called United to apply my SWUs to the LH flights. What ensued was three hours and multiple agents not being able to figure it out, going so far as canceling parts of my reservation in hopes it would "stick." I don't doubt they were all well intentioned (although one scolded me for not just taking United flights) but when we hit the third hour with no progress being made my patience went to 0 and I canceled the whole thing.

Booked in business on Delta.

Now UA is fighting me about refunding the money since I booked through a travel agent. Took a few phone calls over the weekend but finally got someone to agree to submit the refund after I mentioned filing a DOT complaint.

Why is almost every experience with UA so miserable? And is the application of UA SWU's for LH flights really this difficult?
Why didn't you cancel it through your TA when you booked the Delta flights? They would have handled the refund. That's what corporate TA's are for, so you don't have to deal with this stuff.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Is there anything that one needs to do if the upgrades cleared upon booking? It shows as being in business class (I class) on both the UA and LH websites.

There is an error warning on the LH website: "Unfortunately we cannot process your enquiry at the moment due to technical reasons and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Please try again or contact our Service Center +49 (0)69 - 86 799 799 (9102)"

Nevertheless, the LH website shows the booking. However, a warning and error notification showed up when I tried to select seats.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gnaget
Is there anything that one needs to do if the upgrades cleared upon booking? It shows as being in business class (I class) on both the UA and LH websites.
Nothing normally needs to be done -- seems like a weird bug. If you call LH you can probably get them to assign you seats.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
If you don't care about UA pqd, the best thing to do is to call LH and book the tickets over the phone directly with Lufthansa. They can also book UA flights, at the same prices at United.com

There are several advantages to this

- Issued on LH ticket stock, therefore easier to process GPU
- Often have access to more inventory on LH Group.

If you have UA flights, the SWU can be applied on that regardless of ticket stock.

Booking fee is $20. You can specify the booking class you want. LH phone res is not 24 hours though unless you call Germany.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

[...]

Nevertheless, the LH website shows the booking. However, a warning and error notification showed up when I tried to select seats.
UA made reservations are notorious for not being good enough for ASR on LH.com

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...ua-merged.html

Originally Posted by OpenSky
If you don't care about UA pqd, the best thing to do is to call LH and book the tickets over the phone directly with Lufthansa.[...]
Booking fee is $20. You can specify the booking class you want. LH phone res is not 24 hours though unless you call Germany.
UA MP has made their members aadicted to PQDs and 20$? Are you nuts paying for service?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I had no problem selecting seats over the phone with LH. And the agent said that there is a ongoing bug with the website. Is this true?

The only remaining issue is that being booked in I class it is flagged for not earning miles.... or does UA automatically resolve the issue?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I had no problem selecting seats over the phone with LH. And the agent said that there is a ongoing bug with the website. Is this true?

The only remaining issue is that being booked in I class it is flagged for not earning miles.... or does UA automatically resolve the issue?
yes, always a problem. Miles should credit ... but LH is still not 100%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.