Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
My reservation had the same message with my upgraded LH flight showing the correct LH flight number but 1200AM departure time and a 12:00AM arrival time. When I called UA they stated that I should leave it alone.

On my Day of departure, when I tried to OLCI though the LH site I got an error. When I got to ORD the UA club by the LH gates has a LH desk. She also was not able to issue my BP but got UA to reissue the ticket and then it all worked. In my case it didn't hurt to wait. Hope this helps.
That's exactly what my flight times are showing as well for both "upgraded" over water flights. I called in again the other night and agent said to just leave it alone. I have a feeling though when I attempt to check in via LH app or site I'll get the same error as well.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
That's exactly what my flight times are showing as well for both "upgraded" over water flights. I called in again the other night and agent said to just leave it alone. I have a feeling though when I attempt to check in via LH app or site I'll get the same error as well.
It was a little stressful thinking that my carefully booked upgrade was having issues, but it only took about 5 minutes to get resolved. In my case by going to the UA club they had both LH and UA agents there to work both reservations which no doubt saved a few phone calls.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by nick5000
Are we supposed to still earn miles even though confirmed upgrades books into I class?

I sent a request for missing miles 15 days ago, but no sign of the miles.

Maybe LH was confused by that i had a Q class ticket upgraded to I. Then I was rebooked in booking class Y due to cancelled flight 3 days later. I used another GPU and got confirmed once again in I. Now maybe LH thinks that I was originally on an I award and was rebooked to Y.. ?

How can I proceed to request the miles when I have sent the automatic miles request to UA with any success ?
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Call the MPSC - as a 1K you'll get someone on the line instantaneously, and I've found those folks are actually fairly empowered.

Of course you deserve the miles by the way
I called and was told to email mileage plus. Received a reply that they sent the request to LH, should be posted within 15 days. Now after 3 weeks, still no miles. Not sure how to proceed now.

It seems they need LH to confirm that my ticket is eligible for miles, however LH doesn't think it is as they think I had an I class ticket.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by nick5000
I called and was told to email mileage plus. Received a reply that they sent the request to LH, should be posted within 15 days. Now after 3 weeks, still no miles. Not sure how to proceed now.

It seems they need LH to confirm that my ticket is eligible for miles, however LH doesn't think it is as they think I had an I class ticket.
the miles posted to my UA account for an SWU LH upgraded flight within two days
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
the miles posted to my UA account for an SWU LH upgraded flight within two days
Yes, the issue with mine is that it was upgraded Q to I, then date irrop and flight/date change so back to Y class, then upgraded again to I. If LH look two steps back, they see that the Y class was rebooked from an I class.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:34 am

Yikes, a bit more convoluted. Hope it finally posts
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:22 pm

If my ticket is issued under LH ticket stock with pure LH flights, how do pull up the record on UA.com to add the GPU?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The *A upgrade tool that UA MP uses will work with the LH record locator and ticket number.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
The *A upgrade tool that UA MP uses will work with the LH record locator and ticket number.
In other words, you don't initiate the process from the reservation in your UA account. Go here:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...erUpgrade.aspx
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:52 pm

Thanks folks!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Outbound GPU cancels existing Lufthansa GPU upgrade on return?

A few months ago I used a GPU to upgrade to business class on a Lufthansa flight returning to the US from Germany. Then there was a flight number change on a domestic leg of this ticket. Online, it said in red "Call to have your ticket reissued" so I did. Well, reissuing the ticket lost the Lufthansa upgrade and the GPU went back into my account. I was on the phone with a supervisor for nearly an hour to try to get it back, and he was able to.

This morning I was notified that my GPU upgrade on the outbound United flight has been approved. But it givers me shivers to see the dreaded "call to have your ticket reissued" in red lettering on the reservation. I just know that reissuing the ticket is going to lead to the same problem I had before. Any change or reissuing of a ticket for any reason breaks a Lufthansa upgrade. GPU goes back into the account and I'm back in coach.

What can I do to avoid this happening a second time? I don't want to be on the phone another hour with a supervisor trying to fix this again, even assuming they would be able to get the Lufthansa upgrade back.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Two more data points from recent flights:

After experiencing severe issues using the 1k line to apply GPUs to LH flights, I decided to try this again.
  • Used GPU via the website on LH FRA-MIA with no problems. There was a connecting domestic flight to FRA that was part of this schedule which I did not upgrade, so the initial check-in was into a regular Y class flight connecting to I class with the GPU.
  • Used GPU via the website on LH LAX-FRA. No connecting flight here, and once again I encountered issues. There was no way to do OLCI. Phone rep said I had to go to the airport. Website showed my itinerary, but when clicking on check-in reported that it had vanished. Counter agent checked me into Y.
    This had happened before, and I was rather incredulous. The counter agent was apologetic and vanished in the back office for 20 minutes, then returned with a big smile, having restored my seat up on the upper deck. He claimed that UA had taken my GPU but neglected to properly update the ticket in LH's system. The gentleman sitting next to me on the flight had apparently had the exact same problem.

Summary: I've used 3 GPUs on LH. The 1st one got torpedoed completely by the checkin agent at TXL, and could not be restored despite the heroic efforts of the MUC lounge staff. The 2nd one worked exactly as advertised, the 3rd one failed yet again, but somehow LAX counter staff were able to fix the issue.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
In this case, you only need revalidation -- not reissue -- so the ticket number won't change. That said, I'd still explain to the agent what happened before. Once the revalidation is done -- with the agent still on the phone -- I'd check the LH website to make sure the upgrade hasn't been lost.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:22 am

My experience on applying GPUs to LH flights

LH requires a GPU for each leg. My flights were 100% LH metal. I opted not to waste a GPU on the short intra-Germany flights.

The upgrade on the TATL flight to Germany cleared immediately when the GPU was applied. As mentioned by others, that leg disappeared from the itinerary when the upgrade cleared.

I was waitlisted on the return TATL flight, but received an email a week later that the GPU had also cleared. Once the GPU was applied, the entire itinerary, including the intra-Germany flights, disappeared from my UA account.

I called the 1K Desk who transferred me to Web Support. The "genius" Web Support "solved" the problem by deleting my upgrades and re-depositing them into my account. I was then able to see my itinerary again, but I was also back in coach. It took several hours on the phone for a wonderful LH agent and a United agent to get the upgraded seats back.

The entire itinerary is gone again on ual.com, but I am leaving it alone. I can, however, see it on lufthansa.com. In short, the experience was a nightmare.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bamboola
I called the 1K Desk who transferred me to Web Support. The "genius" Web Support "solved" the problem by deleting my upgrades and re-depositing them into my account. I was then able to see my itinerary again, but I was also back in coach. It took several hours on the phone for a wonderful LH agent and a United agent to get the upgraded seats back.
I was specifically told by the amazing agent who applied my GPUs not to call when the reservations disappear as other agents may cancel the upgrades in order to get the itinerary to appear again. As you say, you can always check them on LH.com.

It seems that when flights are booked with an LH code, you can easily apply the GPUs online and everything is fine. However, if the flights are UA coded, but operated by LH, the process becomes incredibly complicated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.