Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by GBadger
Or, a different scenario also requiring a reissue that I'm currently up against:
- LH upgrade processes for outbound flight
- Currently waitlisted for GPU on UA-operated flight for return segment a few days later
- UA reservation shows "A modification has been made to your itinerary..." message, but can not reissue due to fear of losing upgrade
- GPU will not process on out of sync tickets so any GPU will not clear when R class opens up, leaving it available for anyone else to grab
Sync'ing the ticket does not "reissue" the ticket. They just match the updated reservation segments to the existing ticket.

I would ask them to sync ticket. If you are concerned, then ask them to do it immediately after you fly the LH outbound.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Oliver -- thanks very much. I went to Saudia's website, and there it is still showing me in Q class. Do I need to call LH to have them sticker that segment?
You definitely should at least point out that the 'sticker'-ing was not done. If you read some experience(s) upthread you will discover that things can be resolved at the airport, but why not be proactive.

LH completely moved over from a DCS designed in the 80s (Unisys-Pictures)to the 2010s (Amadeus Altea) last month after a 6 month transition, so staff are mostly uncomfortable with the new system and when in doubt will fall back to the 'computer says no' alternative. Some have an ego (or better more important things to sort out) that prevents them from calling the eticket helpdesk. So be prepared.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
You definitely should at least point out that the 'sticker'-ing was not done. If you read some experience(s) upthread you will discover that things can be resolved at the airport, but why not be proactive.

LH completely moved over from a DCS designed in the 80s (Unisys-Pictures)to the 2010s (Amadeus Altea) last month after a 6 month transition, so staff are mostly uncomfortable with the new system and when in doubt will fall back to the 'computer says no' alternative. Some have an ego (or better more important things to sort out) that prevents them from calling the eticket helpdesk. So be prepared.
Well, I called LH and the agent told me that I need to call UA and have them reissue the ticket and that everything looks ok on their end. Based on the guidance above, that seems like to opposite of what I should be doing? This is all very confusing...

UPDATE:
- Just called UA and they basically confirmed what I thought -- that is that they can not reissue without the upgrade being cancelled. Then I called LH back, and again was told that UA needs to reissue the ticket. The LH agent suggested that the UA agent I spoke with was "probably a new agent unaware of the process".

Sigh... At this point I think I'll just go to the airport and have it figured out there.

Last edited by GBadger; Jun 23, 2015 at 11:28 am
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Sigh... At this point I think I'll just go to the airport and have it figured out there.
Based on experiences here, hopefully you can find an LH and UA agent sitting next to each other somewhere and bring notes from this thread... (Oliver2002 seems to know the process quite well so see his posts - others had some success having agents figure out the process and posted the actions taken)

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That's completely false. You DO NOT have to book UA-coded flights to get PQD. You simply have to book flights on a UA ticket to get PQD. So LH-coded flights on a UA ticket still earn full PQD.
Originally Posted by cfischer
where did you read this? I have successfully gotten PQDs from LH-coded flights on 016 tickets. As a matter of fact there is no rule whatsoever that flight need to be UA coded to earn PQM.
Sorry, I misspoke! I stand corrected! <dodging tomatoes>
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
I'm having the same issue "! A modification has..." and Saudia site showing overwater segment in Q class even though LH site shows I class and seat selected in biz (FRA-BOS). I've also called UA and they keep saying everything is good.

Flying BOS-FRA July 2nd (depending on the strike) and that segment looks good on Saudia site but I'd rather just physically sort it all out at BOS instead of dealing with check in issues over at FRA in three weeks. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Based on experiences here, hopefully you can find an LH and UA agent sitting next to each other somewhere and bring notes from this thread... (Oliver2002 seems to know the process quite well so see his posts - others had some success having agents figure out the process and posted the actions taken)
Yes, this is part of my concern here -- I'm originating in DEN where it may be unlikely that any LH agents are available to help at my time of departure. Then I'm connecting at LAX, where I will need to switch to the International Terminal, making it unlikely that any UA agents will be around...

Every time I call LH, they tell me to call UA and have them reissue the ticket. This thread, and the UA agents I've spoken with, both say that's a bad idea. So I'm kind of out of ideas at this point.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:41 pm

Gbadger:

Are you not able to check in? Or are you just looking at the Saudia site and checking to see if the ticket is coded the way Olivery2002 indicates?

For what it's worth, I was able to fly on a UA ticket upgraded from B to I on Lufthansa and my fare basis on Saudia stayed "B". This was after I had to have my ticket reissued, etc, due to previous problems.

I was able to checkin, etc, no problems.

So it seems that for 016 UA tickets, the Saudia site may not always update the fare class to I. In my case it stayed B and was fine.

Until you try to check in you will never know if there is a problem or not. If you can check in fine, there is no issues.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Gbadger:

Are you not able to check in? Or are you just looking at the Saudia site and checking to see if the ticket is coded the way Olivery2002 indicates?

For what it's worth, I was able to fly on a UA ticket upgraded from B to I on Lufthansa and my fare basis on Saudia stayed "B". This was after I had to have my ticket reissued, etc, due to previous problems.

I was able to checkin, etc, no problems.

So it seems that for 016 UA tickets, the Saudia site may not always update the fare class to I. In my case it stayed B and was fine.

Until you try to check in you will never know if there is a problem or not. If you can check in fine, there is no issues.
I've tried to check in via LH's website, but am still outside of 24 hours. So I'm not sure whether the error message is a result of that, or whether something is wrong with the ticket.
In my case:
- 016 ticket, originally Q class, booked via TA, originally with UA codeshare that was converted by UA to the LH flight number
- Saudia site shows original booking class
- UA, LH and checkmytrip all show upgraded booking class (I, in this case).
- UA site shows "A modification has been made to your itinerary" message, and has the upgraded flight listed out of order with 12:00 departure and arrival times

Interestingly, my first flight of the day (DEN-LAX) just upgraded via CPU, despite the "A modification..." message. So I guess upgrades can clear even when the reservation is out of sync.

Did your trip originate with LH, or did you have a UA segment first? I'm about to go check in for the UA segment -- we'll see what happens with the LH portion. I realize that everything may work out without issues, but I'm hoping to avoid standing at the LAX LH counter without being able to check in, since UA help will be a long way away!

Last edited by GBadger; Jun 23, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:16 pm

So, I just tried to check in for my flight at .bomb (UA flight is now within 24 hours) and the UA website gives me the following message:
"Your flight is operated by Lufthansa. Please continue to Lufthansa web site to check-in for this flight and any connecting flights.
Lufthansa Confirmation Number: XXXXXX"

I'm guessing that this is the result of the out-of-order LAX-FRA leg showing 1200-1200 departure/arrival times...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:08 pm

Well, the saga continues, but I think everything is going to be ok. This evening I got two separate confirmation emails from United (the kind that are sent out at ticketing or reissue). After receiving these I was able to check in for the upgraded LH flight. I still am not able to check in for the first flight of the day (UA-operated), but assume I'll be able to work that out at the airport. Not sure about my intra-EU connection, but again, think I'll be able to figure that one out.

So, it seems like UA might have a system in place for automatically reissuing tickets at ~T-26 or so.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.95MM
I had a problem a couple of weeks ago at MUC. I upgraded MUC-PEK from J to A but when I got to the airport the LH agent told me that UA had to reissue my ticket for me to fly in 1st. So I called the GS desk who said everything was fine and it was LH problem. I passed my cell phone to the LH agent who talked to the GS desk for a good 3 minutes or so. He then left the desk and said he needed to check with the back office located some other place. Twenty minutes later I was getting a bit uneasy as I realized that the LH agent had left w/ my passport. Eventually, he got back to the 1st class checkin area and handed me a boarding pass with my A seat. He said something like 'it was hard but we managed to print your boarding pass'. Glad I went to the airport very early. This took very long. There are still many glitches that need to be worked out on this electronic upgrade system. On the positive side, LH 1st is so much better than UA Biz1st or global 1st.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, the saga continues, but I think everything is going to be ok. This evening I got two separate confirmation emails from United (the kind that are sent out at ticketing or reissue). After receiving these I was able to check in for the upgraded LH flight. I still am not able to check in for the first flight of the day (UA-operated), but assume I'll be able to work that out at the airport. Not sure about my intra-EU connection, but again, think I'll be able to figure that one out.
Keep that email, take a screenshot of yourself confirmed in business. When they messed up my reservation, that's what seemed to convince the agent to bump me back up.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 7:52 pm

A final update here...

Comfortably seated in 86H. Check in went out of order but was able to do it all online. The only boarding pass I couldn't access was my intra-EU connection, but I was able to get that at the gate.

In short, it seems like, at least in my case, despite the Saudia website not showing my reservation correctly, the automatic United reissue allowed online check in to go fine.

Hope others experiences are as smooth as mine (despite the worries).

My only concern now is that I am surrounded by 2-5 year olds (literally), with ones in 86 A,C and also in 85 K and A. I have a couple of my own, so I won't judge yet...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
1 month in advance!

My co-worker had her UG go through a full month out (D to O)...assuming it was only T-14 days out for O inventory a la award seats?

It is BLR-FRA so not the longest nor most premium route, if that matters.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My co-worker had her UG go through a full month out (D to O)...assuming it was only T-14 days out for O inventory a la award seats?

It is BLR-FRA so not the longest nor most premium route, if that matters.
There have been reports on the blogs about LH opening F award space well beyond T-14 this summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.