Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Used a GPU on a LH flight that was cancelled due to the strike. Ticket was booked on UA.com. LH is telling me that I have to go back into coach and then try to reapply the upgrade. UA policy allows you to be reprotected in a higher class of service if you've upgraded the flight cancels, but I think that's only for UA flights. Is it worth HUACAing or should I just accept the downgrade and reapply?
this is better answered in the LH forum. It is my understanding that LH will re-accommodate you in the confirmed cabin irrespective how you got there.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Did your GPU get re-credited to your MP account?

If no, then don't "reapply" as it will cost you another GPU - at least until they find where the last one went when your LH flight canceled, which could take a while.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Does LH charge a fee for booking a flight via phone?
I have had success getting them to waive the phone booking fee. I wanted a multi stop trip that was GPU eligible and the website was not giving me the fare classes I needed. I explained to the very nice agent and she waived the fee.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
My dad is booked on DMM-FRA (LH flight with UA #) and FRA-IAH on UA. It is booked in H. I'd like to apply a GPU to both segments if I can but the website says DMM-FRA is not eligible. Is a phone call to UA necessary?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
My dad is booked on DMM-FRA (LH flight with UA #) and FRA-IAH on UA. It is booked in H. I'd like to apply a GPU to both segments if I can but the website says DMM-FRA is not eligible. Is a phone call to UA necessary?
Read this thead for more details but you need to get UA to re-label the flight to the LH flight number.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Still waitlisted for F both segments RUH-FRA-ORD this Friday early am (beginning at 00:55 out of RUH.) 4 open seats RUH-FRA on A330 and 2 open FRA-ORD on 748. Not sure if this would be considered probably or not at this point...

Booked on 220-stock. Flight to Saudi was a pain due to strike. Initially was worried it would mess with the GPU's but on the LH website all looks good still (both original C seats shown along with waitlisted O.)

Interestingly, because the outbound flight was rebooked TK in J because of the strike, it looks like my return flights (originally booked in D) have changed to a J fare-basis?

Just to confirm my understanding of all the past posts, if at T-24 I still haven't cleared, I should wait to check in until at the airport to maximize chances of battlefield upgrade?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by domzals1
Just to confirm my understanding of all the past posts, if at T-24 I still haven't cleared, I should wait to check in until at the airport to maximize chances of battlefield upgrade?
That's correct. But to be more accurate, you only need to wait until T-10. At which point you'll no longer be able to waitlist. The unconfirmed O class will drop off and you'll get an email from UA saying it was redeposited in your account. Then you can just OLCI.

It's and unfortunate limitation because I've seen plenty of F2 or F1 not get cleared until the gate, but obviously I was not even eligible for it. Or worse, flight goes out with an open F seat because of a miscconnect and again, I wasn't eligible.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
That's correct. But to be more accurate, you only need to wait until T-10. At which point you'll no longer be able to waitlist. The unconfirmed O class will drop off and you'll get an email from UA saying it was redeposited in your account. Then you can just OLCI.

It's and unfortunate limitation because I've seen plenty of F2 or F1 not get cleared until the gate, but obviously I was not even eligible for it. Or worse, flight goes out with an open F seat because of a miscconnect and again, I wasn't eligible.
Makes sense. I hadn't even thought of the fact that they could [would] leave seats in the F bucked until boarding. In that case, I'm thinking the chances of me clearing the FRA-ORD leg, which is only showing 2 open F seats is slim - unless there's blocked seats still...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status

That's not my experience. Twice I've cleared into O at the gate.

Greg
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:19 pm

Makes sense. I hadn't even thought of the fact that they could [would] leave seats in the F bucked until boarding. In that case, I'm thinking the chances of me clearing the FRA-ORD leg, which is only showing 2 open F seats is slim - unless there's blocked seats still...
LH 430 on 20 Nov is showing F1A1 with 4 unassigned seats (look blocked on expertflyer, but my experience is LH my actually show them as available). I would assume those relate to confirmed upgrades who haven't selected seats yet, (as the upgrade doesn't assign one automatically) although not necessarily. I would agree your chances aren't great (this is when the old paper system would be better)

Originally Posted by greg99
That's not my experience. Twice I've cleared into O at the gate.

Greg
Oh really? Using UA GPUs? I thought only M&M evouchers could do this at the gate. UA.com specifically says your waitlisted segments will expire at T-10. And in ~4 times, this is exactly what happened. I've never had an upgrade clear at the gate with the new system.

If a waitlisted traveler is confirmed in the higher cabin, the Lufthansa reservation will reflect the upgraded class and United will send a notification to the email address provided at the time of the request. Unconfirmed upgrades will expire from the waitlist 10 hours prior to departure and United will send a notification email.
Source:https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...aspx#lufthansa
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:56 pm

LH 430 on 20 Nov is showing F1A1 with 4 unassigned seats (look blocked on expertflyer, but my experience is LH my actually show them as available). I would assume those relate to confirmed upgrades who haven't selected seats yet, (as the upgrade doesn't assign one automatically) although not necessarily. I would agree your chances aren't great (this is when the old paper system would be better)
Ugh, that's what I figured, but I don't have an experflyer account so I was unable to confirm. It's frustrating that you [probably] no longer even have a chance to clear a battlefield upgrade at the gate.

I never attempted a GPU with LH using the old paper system, but I always heard horror stories from that era too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I suppose.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Not really. My take is that the C cabin is oversold and LH is keeping the F cabin to manage the overflow. In such situations they will gladly take your GPU before giving away the upgrade for free.

Code:
>ad20novfraord/alh430
AD20NOVFRAORD/ALH430                                                            
** AMADEUS AVAILABILITY - AD ** ORD O HARE INTERNAT.USIL       2 FR 20NOV 0000  

1   LH 430  F1 A1 J8 C8 D7 Z7 G4 /FRA 1 ORD 5  1040    1310  E0/74H       9:30 
             E3 N2 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9                                
>sm/1/f/v
SM LH 0430/F/20NOVFRAORD/V                                                      
SM LH  0430  F 20NOV FRAORD        74H                                          
        A     D  G     K                                                        
F  1    +              +   1  F                                                 
   2    +              C   2                                                    
   3    /     /  +     /   3                                                    
        A     D  G     K                                                        

. AVAILABLE   <> WING     F GEN FACI   K GALLEY   E EXIT    C COT               
+ OCCUPIED    - LAST OFF  H HANDICAP   Q QUIET    G GROUPS  P PET               
/ RESTRICTED  B BULKHEAD  V PREF.SEAT  X BLOCKED  L LEGROOM U UMNR              
() SMOKING    D DEPORTEE  UP UP-DECK   Z NO FILM  I INFANT  R REAR              
Y CHARGEABLE                                                                    
>sm/1/c/v
SM LH 0430/C/20NOVFRAORD/V                                                      
SM LH  0430  C 20NOV FRAORD        74H                                          
         A  C     D  G     H  K                                                 
C  4     C  /     +  +     +  C    4  C                                         
   5     +  +     +  +     +  +    5                                            
   6     +  +     +  +     +  +    6                                            
   7     +  +     +  H     +  +    7                                            
   8     +  +     +  H     +  +    8                                            
   9     +  +     +  +     +  /    9                                            
  10 <   C  +     +  +     +  +  > 10                                           
  11 <   +  +     +  +     +  +  > 11                                           
         A  C     D  G     H  K                                                 

A  C     H  K                                                         
C 81 UP   /  /     /  /  UP 81 C                                                
  82      +  +     /  /     82                                                  
          A  C     H  K                                                         
Y CHARGEABLE                                                                    
)>m
  83      +  +     +  +     83                                                  
  84      +  +     +  +     84                                                  
  85      +  +     +  +     85                                                  
  86      +  .     +  /     86                                                  
  87      .  +     /  /     87                                                  
  88 UP   +  .     +  +  UP 88                                                  
          A  C     H  K                                                         

Y CHARGEABLE                                                                    
>
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:41 am

Not really. My take is that the C cabin is oversold and LH is keeping the F cabin to manage the overflow. In such situations they will gladly take your GPU before giving away the upgrade for free.

Code:
>ad20novfraord/alh430
AD20NOVFRAORD/ALH430                                                            

>sm/1/f/v
SM LH 0430/F/20NOVFRAORD/V                                                      
SM LH  0430  F 20NOV FRAORD        74H                                          
        A     D  G     K                                                        
F  1    +              +   1  F                                                 
   2    +              C   2                                                    
   3    /     /  +     /   3                                                    
        A     D  G     K                                                        

Y CHARGEABLE                                                                    
>sm/1/c/v
SM LH  0430  C 20NOV FRAORD        74H                                          
         A  C     D  G     H  K                                                 
C  4     C  /     +  +     +  C    4  C                                         
   5     +  +     +  +     +  +    5                                            
   6     +  +     +  +     +  +    6                                            
   7     +  +     +  H     +  +    7                                            
   8     +  +     +  H     +  +    8                                            
   9     +  +     +  +     +  /    9                                            
  10 <   C  +     +  +     +  +  > 10                                           
  11 <   +  +     +  +     +  +  > 11                                           
         A  C     D  G     H  K                                                 

A  C     H  K                                                         
C 81 UP   /  /     /  /  UP 81 C                                                
  82      +  +     /  /     82                                                  
          A  C     H  K                                                         
Y CHARGEABLE                                                                    
)>m
  83      +  +     +  +     83                                                  
  84      +  +     +  +     84                                                  
  85      +  +     +  +     85                                                  
  86      +  .     +  /     86                                                  
  87      .  +     /  /     87                                                  
  88 UP   +  .     +  +  UP 88                                                  
          A  C     H  K                                                         

Y CHARGEABLE                                                                    
>
I like that interpretation much more! You think would take my GPU before they bumped a Sen/HON paid-C to F?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:43 am

Code:
>ad20novfraord/alh430
AD20NOVFRAORD/ALH430                                                            

I thought that might be the case, but it's J8. Why would they continue to oversell J but not offer the F seats?

In any case, I agree with your logic over LH preferring to take a GPU over giving a free op up, but I've actually experienced where my GPU didn't clear, and then they gave me the upgrade for free via op-up at the gate.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I like that interpretation much more! You think would take my GPU before they bumped a Sen/HON paid-C to F?
Yes, definitely.

I thought that might be the case, but it's J8. Why would they continue to oversell J but not offer the F seats?

In any case, I agree with your logic over LH preferring to take a GPU over giving a free op up, but I've actually experienced where my GPU didn't clear, and then they gave me the upgrade for free via op-up at the gate.
They will oversell J based on their analytics. LH only pays 1600€ for downgrade to Y, but 4000 for a F->C downgrade. Also they have LH432 departing a few hours later as backup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.