Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DKann
I find it odd too. I have done that many times in the past and the last one was just 3 weeks back. Not sure what changed. Will try to call again next week.
My understanding is that the policy has been to make these changes regardless of theoretical inventory pricing differentials, since it's just a change in flight number, as opposed to a new booking, and thus does not require new inventory. While there are not many situations where I would ask for a supervisor, this might be one of them.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by kittiyut

So I came to a personal conclusion that it is better to just go to the airport early when the upgrade hasn't cleared prior to T-24
What would you (or anyone else) suggest I should do if I am waiting for an upgrade to clear on my second flight? I'm flying yyz-fra in J (no F on this flight) and connecting to fra-bkk. This second flight is in J as well but am waitlisted for an upgrade to F (using a GPU). If my upgrade hasn't cleared at T-24 for the first flight should I just go to the airport and hope that my upgrade gets cleared there for my second flight? If it doesn't clear at check-in for my first flight is there anything I can do in FRA (it is a 14 hour connection) to get it to clear for the second flight? Thanks,
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
With UA First Class gone and NH/LH elite members no longer able to upgrade into UA F, will the reciprocal benefit that allowed UA passengers to redeem GPUs into F on NH/LH go away too if UA has no first class of their own to offer?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: MP 1K, NH Diamond, EK Gold, IHG SA, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gspurr
What would you (or anyone else) suggest I should do if I am waiting for an upgrade to clear on my second flight? I'm flying yyz-fra in J (no F on this flight) and connecting to fra-bkk. This second flight is in J as well but am waitlisted for an upgrade to F (using a GPU). If my upgrade hasn't cleared at T-24 for the first flight should I just go to the airport and hope that my upgrade gets cleared there for my second flight? If it doesn't clear at check-in for my first flight is there anything I can do in FRA (it is a 14 hour connection) to get it to clear for the second flight? Thanks,
On my last trip using GPU, I only got upgraded at the Gate. During Check In, the check in staff can see that I am waitlisted, but they can only process the upgrade once the flight closes. You can check it through the Lufthansa app
Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
I really don't think that anything can be done at YYZ, but definitely yes when you get to FRA! I can't specifically tell you what to do or who to talk to because of all the upgrades that cleared within T-24 happened in BKK, not for the return. For FRA-BKK, the upgrades either cleared a week, 3 days, or just before T-24. Sometimes "A" fare pops up and I just pay for it.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
With UA First Class gone and NH/LH elite members no longer able to upgrade into UA F, will the reciprocal benefit that allowed UA passengers to redeem GPUs into F on NH/LH go away too if UA has no first class of their own to offer?
Not necessarily. Reciprocity doesn’t really seem to be considered by the people who are setting this deals up. Mostly, it comes up on FlyerTalk.

As long as NH and LH think they’re getting a good deal, and UA doesn’t mind sending them a check for each cleared instrument, there’s no reason for the policy to change.

Let’s be honest. I doubt that very many NH or LH passengers, having experienced F on those carriers, have been terribly impressed with UA F. While the Global First seat is nice, I don’t know that I’d use a partner upgrade instrument for it. (A Miles & More member can use an e-voucher to upgrade LH P to F; it would have been almost criminal to use one to upgrade UA D to F instead.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: United
On my last trip using GPU, I only got upgraded at the Gate. During Check In, the check in staff can see that I am waitlisted, but they can only process the upgrade once the flight closes. You can check it through the Lufthansa app
I requested an upgrade on Lufthansa from Business (D class) to First. The email I received claimed that if the GPU is not cleared up to 10 hours prior to departure then the request will be denied.
This seems to contradict some reports of people getting upgraded "at the gate".
Any idea what is the true policy here? What
What is the best course of action if the GPU is not cleared up to 10 hours to departure?
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Palpal
I requested an upgrade on Lufthansa from Business (D class) to First. The email I received claimed that if the GPU is not cleared up to 10 hours prior to departure then the request will be denied.
What is the best course of action if the GPU is not cleared up to 10 hours to departure?
My GPU clear at check in last May from FRA to SFO
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Mine is D class.
You need at least D1 on the LH coded flight. So in theory if you buy a D1 on UA code that takes that last D inventory then UA can't make that into a LH flight number because LH will return there is no D inventory. As long as there is D inventory on the LH coded flight UA can make this change and it doesn't cost anything. I find that most agents that serve 1K calls know these days what needs to be done. It is a lot less painless than a few years ago.

You can try at YYZ and ask, but the likelihood they can clear it is slim. At FRA check at the ticket machines if it has cleared overnight. If not, go to the SEN lounge and ask at the inside desk to check if the UG can be cleared. I have been lucky before and they paged me after a while that the p.m. mgr was able to clear it and I could move on to the FCT

Like many things on united.com .... it is just plain wrong. This is very old language before they instituted the current electronic system that uses the LH backend system. You will absolutely remain on the waitlist until the gate. If you don't clear they will cancel it and it comes back to your account pretty quickly in my experience.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Let’s be honest. I doubt that very many NH or LH passengers, having experienced F on those carriers, have been terribly impressed with UA F. While the Global First seat is nice, I don’t know that I’d use a partner upgrade instrument for it. (A Miles & More member can use an e-voucher to upgrade LH P to F; it would have been almost criminal to use one to upgrade UA D to F instead.
Yeah. I loved UA F, but mostly for the relatively abundant award space and the fact that it was barely more miles than J. It was a bit of a farce on the service front.

That reflects policy but not practice - you should stay on the waitlist all the way to the gate.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What is your present fare class? UA will only change flight numbers for certain fare classes.

Same question, what is your present fare class?
Q class.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dc89

Q class.
can you post the flight date and route please? Would be interesting to see what is going on here.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: United
I wonder if being upgraded at the gate is the new norm.
I put a GPU request 4 weeks ago for a February flight that showed 4F, 4A availability (Boston-Frankfurt).
I was sure I will be cleared immediately but still no news...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if being upgraded at the gate is the new norm.
I put a GPU request 4 weeks ago for a February flight that showed 4F, 4A availability (Boston-Frankfurt).
I was sure I will be cleared immediately but still no news...
F4 is 50% sold. While at times they may clear UGs with that kind of inventory, most of the time they will not. A lot of C/F tickets get bought last minute and while F4 may look comfortable ... it is not. My A fare FRA-BOS which I bought 10 weeks ago was at F8A8 ... now the flight is F1! And it is 10 days to go.
You can absolutely clear BOS-FRA in advance; I cleared one for January already ... but the flight was F7A6.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cfischer
can you post the flight date and route please? Would be interesting to see what is going on here.
MUC-MIA on Dec 21 (we are flying CPH-MUC-MIA). Would love any advice you can offer...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.