Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dc89

MUC-MIA on Dec 21 (we are flying CPH-MUC-MIA). Would love any advice you can offer...!
yeah, well, Q-class is not available ... so no way for UA to change that.

Does not change when you add the CPH segment. Sorry to say it, but you should have changed to LH code right at booking. What you can do is wait and set an alert for Q-class to become available, the Y9B8 does not look promising however.
IMO there is nothing UA can do here; they won't pay LH for an M-class when you have a Q-class ticket and LH won't let them ticket in Q-class when there is no inventory.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by cfischer
F4 is 50% sold. While at times they may clear UGs with that kind of inventory, most of the time they will not. A lot of C/F tickets get bought last minute and while F4 may look comfortable ... it is not. My A fare FRA-BOS which I bought 10 weeks ago was at F8A8 ... now the flight is F1! And it is 10 days to go.
You can absolutely clear BOS-FRA in advance; I cleared one for January already ... but the flight was F7A6.
I thought F4/A4 meant completely empty F class...
On a related topic, in the past week or so, when using expert mode I cannot see any F inventory anywhere on LH flights.
It's not that it shows F0/A0 it just doesn't show any F/A information.
Is there some problem with their system.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 4:42 pm

F4/A4 means they're willing to sell 4 seats in A booking class and 4 in F booking class. The numbers don't add up to a total — if they sell 1 F seat, it'll go down to F3/A3.

Given that all LH planes (with F) have 8 F seats, F4/A4 means that half of the seats are sold (or excluded for sale for any reason).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMO there is nothing UA can do here; they won't pay LH for an M-class when you have a Q-class ticket and LH won't let them ticket in Q-class when there is no inventory.
While that’s the same thing that UA is claiming, it’s bunk. UA can absolutely reticket this under the native flight number, despite the lack of inventory. They have a procedure in place for exactly this. They can force the inventory (it’s called a long sell) and, if necessary, get their LH liaison to allow the reticketing.

Nowhere in the GPU rules does it mention anything about changing flight numbers requiring inventory, and for good reason; it would be an asinine prohibition. What are you supposed to do if the flight in question is at Q1 when buy your ticket — or if the UA code has Q > 0 but the LH code doesn’t?

OP: HUCA. If necessary, refer to the GPU rules. Be polite, so as not to get any negative comments into the PNR, but don’t give up. As someone suggested, this is actually one of the few cases where I’d consider escalating, especially if I got a few unhelpful responses in a row.

Originally Posted by Palpal
On a related topic, in the past week or so, when using expert mode I cannot see any F inventory anywhere on LH flights.
You never did, at least on routes to/from the US. What you saw was F inventory on the UA codeshare. UA retired the F and A fare buckets last week as part of the preparation for selling Premium Economy; thus, no more UA codeshares on LH flights in first class.

It’s always possible for inventory on a codeshare to be different than inventory on the native flight number, which is why I say that you never actually did see it. There may have been 6 or 8 F seats available on the flight, but UA might have been authorized to sell only four.

You can look at th LH inventory through a paid tool like ExpertFlyer or KVS, or you can do it the painful (but free) way — try a booking on the LH site (or matrix.itasoftware.com) for 8 passengers, then 7, then 6, etc.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan

While that’s the same thing that UA is claiming, it’s bunk. UA can absolutely reticket this under the native flight number, despite the lack of inventory. They have a procedure in place for exactly this. They can force the inventory (it’s called a long sell) and, if necessary, get their LH liaison to allow the reticketing.

Nowhere in the GPU rules does it mention anything about changing flight numbers requiring inventory, and for good reason; it would be an asinine prohibition. What are you supposed to do if the flight in question is at Q1 when buy your ticket — or if the UA code has Q > 0 but the LH code doesn’t?

OP: HUCA. If necessary, refer to the GPU rules. Be polite, so as not to get any negative comments into the PNR, but don’t give up. As someone suggested, this is actually one of the few cases where I’d consider escalating, especially if I got a few unhelpful responses in a row.

Absolutely not my experience. Nowhere does it say that inventory has to be available ... nor does it say it does not matter. LH jumping down several inventory classes to make a Q available to UA? Really? Sure, theoretically possible, but why would they? UA can do this on their own metal, they can even do this on their codeshares on other metals ... as far as I am aware, they can't just do that on LH metal without LH somehow agreeing to it. Do you have any examples where this has happened?
The OP bought this ticket a long time ago; flights don't go from Q to M within hours.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely not my experience. Nowhere does it say that inventory has to be available ... nor does it say it does not matter. LH jumping down several inventory classes to make a Q available to UA? Really? Sure, theoretically possible, but why would they?
Because OP already has a Q ticket on the flight in question. UA isn’t asking them to open any new inventory.

​​​​​​UA can do this on their own metal, they can even do this on their codeshares on other metals ... as far as I am aware, they can't just do that on LH metal without LH somehow agreeing to it. Do you have any examples where this has happened?
A long sale will always require the operating carrier’s approval. But there’s no reason for LH not to agree. The passenger is already seated in Q, and LH really likes the money they get from UA when a GPU clears. There’s zero downside here for LH.

I haven’t personally had this happen, but I remember examples from the board. As I recall, the general take is that it’s easier when LH has open inventory in the same fare class, but that isn’t a requirement (nor should it be).

​​​​​​The OP bought this ticket a long time ago; flights don't go from Q to M within hours.
Likely true, but it wouldn’t have to go from Q to M to cause this problem. Even a one-category increase would do the trick.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because OP already has a Q ticket on the flight in question. UA isn’t asking them to open any new inventory.
Counterexample. On UA to boot. You upgrade with an RPU ... and you want to reverse it. Not possible unless the original fare class is available. And yes, UA could do this, but they won't! And the reason is obvious, this is a voluntary change ... like changing from UA to LH code ... it requires inventory to be available.
If you buy a ticket and right away change it to native flight numbers ... it is pretty much not an issue. So that is SOP that one should follow.
Can it be done. Sure it can be done ... but it is not SOP and I don't have any knowledge that this has worked in the past. In my experience, positive inventory available ... no problem. Otherwise ... YMMV.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Counterexample. On UA to boot. You upgrade with an RPU ... and you want to reverse it. Not possible unless the original fare class is available. And yes, UA could do this, but they won't! And the reason is obvious, this is a voluntary change ... like changing from UA to LH code ... it requires inventory to be available.
If you buy a ticket and right away change it to native flight numbers ... it is pretty much not an issue. So that is SOP that one should follow.
Can it be done. Sure it can be done ... but it is not SOP and I don't have any knowledge that this has worked in the past. In my experience, positive inventory available ... no problem. Otherwise ... YMMV.
I will call and see if I can get them to do it! Might need to wait a few hours for my United karma to top back up, as I just had to sweet-talk my way onto a Brussels Airlines flight (currently stuck in Brussels due to the Aviapartner strike as my SAS return to Copenhagen, booked with United miles, has been canceled twice and I had little confidence that I'd be able to get out tomorrow at 10 AM...)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: United

You never did, at least on routes to/from the US. What you saw was F inventory on the UA codeshare. UA retired the F and A fare buckets last week as part of the preparation for selling Premium Economy; thus, no more UA codeshares on LH flights in first class.

It’s always possible for inventory on a codeshare to be different than inventory on the native flight number, which is why I say that you never actually did see it. There may have been 6 or 8 F seats available on the flight, but UA might have been authorized to sell only four.

You can look at th LH inventory through a paid tool like ExpertFlyer or KVS, or you can do it the painful (but free) way — try a booking on the LH site (or matrix.itasoftware.com) for 8 passengers, then 7, then 6, etc.
About the first remark: does this change have any effect on using GPU's on LH?
About the first remark: well, at least it supplied a lower bound on the number of open sits.
About the third remark: Nice! LH website allows to make a booking for up to 6 persons. It shows that there are 6 F sits available for my flight. Hopefully this will suffice.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Exactly correct.

Counterexample. On UA to boot. You upgrade with an RPU ... and you want to reverse it. Not possible unless the original fare class is available. And yes, UA could do this, but they won't!
That is absolutely false. UA can make an exception and put you back in your original fare class, even if they're not selling that inventory. I've done it more than once.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palpal
About the first remark: does this change have any effect on using GPU's on LH?
About the first remark: well, at least it supplied a lower bound on the number of open sits.
About the third remark: Nice! LH website allows to make a booking for up to 6 persons. It shows that there are 6 F sits available for my flight. Hopefully this will suffice.
No, it doesn’t have any effect on the ability to use GPUs on LH, just on your ability to see that lower bound on the number of seats available.

F6 is a much better scenario than F4 this far out. ^ Fingers crossed...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is absolutely false. UA can make an exception and put you back in your original fare class, even if they're not selling that inventory. I've done it more than once.
oh sure, every once in a while you get an exception. I have gotten the weirdest things that were absolutely against the rules, I mean not even remotely within the rules.
Is that really the point here though?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
GPU not returned after failed upgrade

Hi,
Flew LH 772 (FRA - BKK) on october 28 , was booked in E class. Upgrade did not clear. GPU still not returned to my account
Flew LH 773 (BKK-FRA) on november 3, was booked in E class. Upgrade did not clear. GPU still not returned to my account

Ticket was on 220 stock.

Are GPU not automatically returned when the upgrade fails ?

Send email to 1Kvoice, but no reply yet.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by erwin123
Hi,
Flew LH 772 (FRA - BKK) on october 28 , was booked in E class. Upgrade did not clear. GPU still not returned to my account
Flew LH 773 (BKK-FRA) on november 3, was booked in E class. Upgrade did not clear. GPU still not returned to my account

Ticket was on 220 stock.

My GPUs also did not return automatically, 1kvoice fixed it for me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erwin123
Hi,

Ticket was on 220 stock.

strange. Mine always return immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.